Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20976 Discussions

Intel display drivers cause lines on screen after screen replacement

Pompui
Novice

Hi,

I had to replace the screen on my laptop as it was broken and after starting back up the screen had lines and blank sections on it, see below pic.

Thinking it was a faulty screen, I had it replaced with one from another manufacturer but still had the same problem. After much trial and error, I have found that if I remove the integrated intel display adapter driver, or roll it back to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter then the screen works fine except that I am unable to change the brightness and the refresh rate is stuck at 60Hz.

I have tried both the Intel driver that MyAsus tells me to install, version 31.0.101.3413 and the driver that ID&SA tells me to install, version 31.0.101.4644. Both give me the same problem and each time I have to roll back to the Microsoft Basic DA to fix the issue.

Originally, Windows 11 was installed. Windows 10 is now installed to see if it cured the problem but it didn't. I am thinking that it may be a BIOS setting or something that changed when power was drained to replace the original screen. 

Attached is a System report/specs

TIA for any help, it's much appreciated

pic.jpg

0 Kudos
24 Replies
AlHill
Super User

If the screen was working without lines before it was broken, and the screen was properly replaced, you would not have lines on the new screen.

Take your laptop to a repair shop and have the screen replaced by a professional.

For bios concerns, contact the laptop manufacturer.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Pompui
Novice

Hi,

I don't think you understand. The problem only arises when Intel drivers are installed. With the default Microsoft drivers and Nvidia drivers there isn't a problem with the screen, except that |I can't change the brightness and refresh rate is stuck at 60 hz. The second screen was installed by a professional.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If it did not happen before you replaced the broken screen, then it is a problem with the new screen and its installation.

DID IT HAPPEN BEFORE YOU REPLACED THE BROKEN SCREEN?

0 Kudos
Pompui
Novice

The old screen had lines on it, pic below, but different to the 2 screens that have been installed since. I was told the screen needed replacing, so I did it. 

Laptop battery was removed and all power drained when screen was replaced.

If it is a problem with the new screen or installation, then why does it only manifest itself when the Intel drivers are installed?

20230614_003704.jpg

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What is your processor model number?

0 Kudos
Pompui
Novice

If you mean the CPU, it's an i7-11800H

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Thank you.  An Intel support engineer will be responding soon.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello @Pompui

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.   

Please answer the following:

·      Does it happen using the version 31.0.101.4577?

·      Have you tried using an external monitor to see if it happens?

·      Have you disabled the NVIDIA graphics? We need to test only the Intel graphics.

Also, in order to have more information about your system, please download, install and run Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. Make sure you check “Everything” before you scan, then save the report and attach it to your response.

Then, please generate and attach the Report for Intel® Intel Graphics Command Center

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Pompui
Novice

Hi Jose,

Thanks for looking into my problem.

I disabled the Nvidia graphics and tried installing 31.0.101.4577 but still get the same screen lines issue.

I had an external monitor connected and didn't get an image on it until I started installation of 31.0.101.4577. The external monitor displayed everything correctly.

At almost the same time (start of driver installation) my laptop screen encountered the lines issue again.

I have attached the reports, as requested.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello Pompui

Thank you for providing that information and the reports.

We will check the issue internally, as soon as we have any updates we will post them here.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello Pompui

Thank you for patiently waiting.

Based on the troubleshooting done so far, and considering that the issue is not present using another display, please contact the system manufacturer for hardware inspection.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
Pompui
Novice
Hi Jose,

By this, I assume that you think it's a hardware problem. I had contacted the system manufacturer, but they didn't want to help because the laptop is out of warranty.
 Would you have any suggestions as to why it only happens when the Intel driver is installed?

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello Pompui

Thank you for response.  

We understand the situation, but in this case when the Microsoft drivers are being used, they only require the minimum to display the image. On the other hand, the Intel drivers are designed to take advantage of all the features of the display (Colors, HDR, brightness, etc.), and that is where the problem might be.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.   

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
Msigf66
Beginner
Did you fix this I have same issue
0 Kudos
Pompui
Novice

Sorry, no. Have tried a few forums, websites etc., but haven't found a solution.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Again I say, this is the result of an incorrect screen being installed, or the screen being installed incorrectly.

0 Kudos
madox
Novice

I have the same problem with my TUF Gaming FX506HM. Replaced the screen and have the same lines on my new screen (identical pattern). What type of screen is the replacement? Mine is a BOE display 240Hz

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@madox   Take your screen issues to ASUS.   Either the screen replacement is incorrect, or it has been done incorrectly.   There is nothing that can be done here.

0 Kudos
madox
Novice

I'm not waiting for Intel to help me but don't you think it's a big coincidence to have the same problem? The line patterns are similar in my case. The replacement display works in BIOS and Safe mode. After Windows 11 clean install the display works until it updates the Intel drivers. Maybe it's not an issue with the Intel graphics but with Intel PCI ports drivers. I was just curious if he has the same replacement model as mine. 

4.jpg

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@madox   No, I do not think it is a coincidence.   Listen closely - if the laptop was working before the screen replacement, then after the replacement you started experiencing these lines, the either the replacement screen is bad, or the screen is incorrectly installed (likely the result of the ribbon cable not being correctly seated or fastened).

0 Kudos