Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Intel eye strain TUV results

MJana1
Novice

Dear Intel team,

Thank you for your attempt to solve the eye strain from certain intel drivers/cards, that has been making many people unable to use modern laptops for many years now. In the original eye strain thread, you have resolved the issue as such:

"Apologies for the length in the time since our last update. In the elapsed time we've completed extensive and thorough testing of the issue you've reported to us. We sought external testing to ensure we weren't overlooking anything and to ensure unbiased results. We've worked with some of you individually, testing the actual platforms you're reporting the issue on with the specific drivers you claim are causing an issue. User Kray_62 sent us his system and we sent the unit and the drivers with & without perceived issues (version 2476 & 3347 respectively) to a 3rd party test lab [TUV Rheinland] who conducts eye comfort certification on visual displays. TUV tested various factors like luminance, color, flicker, and blue light. TUV's test results concluded no measurable difference between the drivers on neither internal nor external displays. Not to say there isn't a perceived issue, but without measurable differences between drivers, there is no objective way to resolve the issue. We have reached the end of our investigation and will be closing this issue."

As the issue still has not disappeared and many people have as much trouble as loosing jobs due to most if not all of these devices being unusable for them, I politely ask you to publish the results of the TUV tests, so the community over at ledstrain.org can analyze it and devise new ways of testing the software and hardware, which some are currently working on. The results would help us to narrow that what might have been overseen and would save us time doing the same tests that were already done in the lab.

Thank you very much again for all the work you have done.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bryce_Intel

Hello all,

Apologies for the delay. I've been collecting the approvals to ensure I can provide these publically.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello MartinAnanas

Thank you for posting in the Intel® community.

Allow me to investigate the request that you have, we would be updating the thread.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
MJana1
Novice

Dear Leonardo,

Thank you for the answer. There is no need to investigate at all, the original thread with the answer right on the first page is here - .

The reply was postel by bruce@intel, so I believe he would know how to obtain the results from the lab.

Thank you again very much and all the best,

Martin

0 Kudos
MJana1
Novice

Edit: Bryce@intel, not bruce.

0 Kudos
JJTL
Beginner

Any update on this? I'd be interested to.

What he probably means by "investigate" is track down Bryce. Find where the TUV eye strain testing results were saved and them prepare them in a format suitable for release? Just my guess.

Thanks for your time Intel staff. Don't leave us waiting...

0 Kudos
FNiss
Beginner

Hello - in the past year, I have tried nearly ten new laptops, including Macbooks, Dells (XPS15, G3 Workstation, Lenovo X1, LG Gram ultralight). All of these, though having discrete non-Intel GPUs, default to Intel Graphics HD in normal mode and I was not able to use these for more than ten minutes without experiencing a headache and burning eyestrain.

I was able to find one model that did NOT produce eyestrain! This machine is an ASUS ROG STRIX GL503VS-DH74 SCAR Edition that has an nVidia GTX 1060 and Intel Graphics are actually DISABLED - you cannot even use it for passthrough/etc. - hence the battery life was not very good for a modern laptop (about 2 hours) and the power adapter was 220W and the size of a small literal brick. But I was able to use this laptop for two weeks in my job as a software engineer without a single symptom! I ended up returning this because of the poor battery life as I travel a lot and the power adapter trips the circuit breaker on airplanes.

I bring this up because it confirms to me that there is still an issue with modern Intel HD graphics (6th, 7th, 8th edition, etc... ).

As such I am stuck with my HP G71-340US with Intel Graphics 4 card which is the last Intel graphics laptop I've been able to use.

I would be happy to assist in any way I could. I'm not sure how this would be done but at this point I would do almost anything to find a modern laptop I can use.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RPutc
Beginner

Hi All,

I have been having this problem for quite sometime. The following combination seems to give a usable display (for me) on Lenovo laptops running Manjaro Linux KDE. Please see if this helps, even if you have other laptops or Linux distributions:

1. If you have discrete graphics, disable it and use only integrated, by selecting UMA only graphics in the BIOS.

2. Pass the video option to the grub command line. For example: video=eDP1:1920x1080-16

Format is: dislpay:resolution-bpp

display value can be obtained by doing xrandr

The default bpp seems to be 32. 24 did not seem to reduce the strain. 16 does reduce the strain.

For testing you could press 'e' at the initial grub screen, add video=eDP1:1920x1080-16 in the arguments (typically after quiet).

For permanent, add video=eDP1:1920x1080-16 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and do "update-grub" (or equivalent in your distribution).

Some pointers related to the video option:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/kernel_mode_setting http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/boot-options.html
0 Kudos
Bryce_Intel

Hello all,

Apologies for the delay. I've been collecting the approvals to ensure I can provide these publically.

.:Bryce:.

0 Kudos