Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20599 Discussions

Intel graphics 4600 driver causing black screen

NicholasHK01
Beginner

Hi all,

I have experienced an issue of having black screen when booting the laptop after BIOS. Here are some details for my laptop

Laptop series: Satellite P50T-B series (Toshiba)

CPU: Intel I7-4710HQ

Graphics: Intel HD 4600 / AMD R9 M265X

Windows: windows 10 (newly installed)

Issue: My laptop continued with black screen after BIOS and the Dynabook symbol

Solution tried:

1) Reinstall windows

Reinstall windows allowing me to have a normal computer performance for the first few days. At some point, the issue existed. Not sure if it is due to some of the window updates or drivers installation / update

2) Uninstall and reinstall intel graphics driver

I successfully boot the windows into safe mode. In the device manager, I have tried to uninstall the Intel graphics driver and install the latest version. However, same issue exists.

3) Disable and enable intel graphics driver

I have also tried to disable the intel graphics driver and boot the windows normally, which leaded to successful login. However, after enable it again, the laptop monitor immediately going black. The system itself is still running as I can hear system sounds. 

4) Other solutions

Other solutions such as changing the power options => Intel graphics setting => to Maximum performance  would not help on this issue as well.

My guess on the issue would be enabling intel graphics caused a crash on other drivers which controlled the laptop monitor display. Connecting to external monitor would not solve this issue. Also I heard the "unplug USB" system sound when enabling the Intel graphics. But I cannot identify the issue as the monitor turned black.

My another Toshiba laptop (different spec) has the same issue as well. 

I have no idea on how to identify the issue now, please advice what I can do at this stage.

Thanks.

Nicholas

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

When on a system with hybrid graphics, you should be running the drivers provided by your laptop vendor. There may be customizations that they have implemented to support this hybrid graphics architecture.

...S

0 Kudos
afonsopda
Beginner

Hi,

Exactly the same problem here. Whenever I try to install the AMD graphics card driver, it freezes the windows at 70% and I need to force the shutdown, by pressing the power button. 

I believe this issue came up with the lastest intel graphics card driver from Nov/2020. Do you ever tried to install an old version of Intel Graphics card?

Thank you

Afonso

0 Kudos
afonsopda
Beginner

Johnwaht thank you for your feedback,

Unfortunately the "maximum performance" trick didn't solve my issue. The windows still freezes after amd driver installation, it is not black screen, is freezing the image. I believe the only option I have is re-install an old version of the windows (probably before 20H2 release) and then re-install the drivers.

I will try that as soon as I have time,

Regards

0 Kudos
Dark_Zone
Beginner

Hey,

I have exact problem with client's Fujitsu Lifebook E754 with Intel HD Graphics 4600

Everything works fine until video card drivers install. Screen becomes black and sometimes showing desktop with a lot of glitches, but it's still working. Weird thing about this issue, is that when I unplug the power charger, it's working fine. I've checked power options and I have it set on Maximum performance and there's no diffrences between on battery and charging settings - they're the same.

Current installed Windows 10 version is 21H2. Reinstaled few times. Windows 11 have the same issue.

Drivers up to date - BIOS, PCI, Chipsets installed...

I don't have more ideas...

Greetings,

Marcin

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If you have tried running W11 on this laptop you can stop now.   It is not supported.

As far as the graphics driver, the latest and last is here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/81496/graphics/graphics-for-4th-generation-intel-processors/intel-hd-graphics-4600.html#drivers-software

I would remove the naximum performance setting.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos
Dark_Zone
Beginner
I've already tried with this driver.

I found on Fujitsu website, that this notebook support up to Windows 20H2 version. Next are unsupported.

I will try fresh install Windows 10 in 20H2 version and see that problem still exists.
0 Kudos
Dark_Zone
Beginner

So, in 20H2 version, after driver update, the problem returns.

I see in Event Viewer, that there's a lot of 4101 warnings - "IGFX stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

0 Kudos