Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Intel hd graphics 4600 black screen/freeze after windows clean install

TJose9
Beginner

I have an asus laptop x550jx, i5 4200h cpu, gtx 950m.The problem is that when the intel graphics driver is installing it displays a black screen with no hdd activity , basically it freezes. I tried all the drivers from asus or intel but none worked .Also tried all versions of windows 10 from 1607 to 1909, all have a problem with the graphic driver. Windows 1709 and 1803 install the driver with no black screen but after 10-15 seconds windows freezes. All the other windows versions just black screen during the installation. I wasted a lot of time trying to fix this, it's time to do something since I'm not the only one experiencing this problems. I can't use my gtx 950m gpu without the intel graphics driver and it's so frustrating. It's also not a hardware problem since on windows 1709 and 1803 the driver installs but freezes afterwards, and also there are many users who have the same problem.The laptop display works fine. Also restarting gives the same black screen, I mean it's not a rare occasion when this black screen/freeze happens.Only way to make it work is to disable the intel gpu or to have the Microsoft basic display adapter driver installed which means I have no brightness control and I can't use my NVidia gpu. Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
26 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

If your Windows 10 is 64 bit version, you may try this driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28662/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=81496. Windows 10 32bit is not supported.

Leon

0 Kudos
TJose9
Beginner

Yes, I currently have Windows 1709 64bit, I tried the driver and it froze at welcome screen. So far the driver from the asus website which is V10.18.15.4268 seems to work best but it freezes shortly after windows login, maximum 1 minute after login and I have to hard shutdown and restart and so on.

0 Kudos
Lewis-H
New Contributor I

Method 1: I would suggest you to run “Hardware and Devices” troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue.

Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter:

1. Press “Windows key + Q”.
  2. Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
  3. Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.
  4. Select “Hardware and Devices” under Devices option.
  5. Follow the On Screen instructions.

Method 2: I request you to try installing the graphics driver in compatibility mode.

Follow these steps to install the driver in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

1. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.    
  2. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.
  3. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 10 from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

I hope this information helps!

Regards,

Lewis

0 Kudos
TJose9
Beginner

Thanks for your suggestions , but the troubleshooter didn't find any problem and I didn't see any Windows 10 option in the drop down of compatibility mode, only from windows 8 till windows 95, maybe it is already running in windows 10 compatibility mode

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@TJose9​ Your problem is that you need to update your windows first. You are more than two years behind.

Go here and update to 1909.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Doc

0 Kudos
TJose9
Beginner

I already tested the drivers on windows 1909,1903,1809 and when installing I get a black screen , so I decided to try 1803 and 1709 and it's a little bit better but the system freezes after 1-2 minutes, no matter what I'm doing.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I did not say that 1909 would fix the problem. I said you needed to be up-to-date first.

Doc

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

If you need to use Intel Graphics Driver, rather than Microsoft Basic Driver, you should better not update your Windows to ver. 1909, since 4th generations CPU are supported only in the following Windows 10 versions:

4th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) processor family (codename Haswell)

Microsoft Windows(R) 10-64 Anniversary Update (1607)

Microsoft Windows(R) 10-64 Creators Update (1703)

Microsoft Windows(R) 10-64 Fall Creators Update (1709)

Microsoft Windows(R) 10-64 April 2018 Update (1803)

Leon

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I do not know about that. There are a lot of users with 4th gen processors that are on 1903 and 1909. And, anything below 1803 is not supported (at least not by Microsoft).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853

Doc

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

The supported O.S. are detailed in the Readme documents attached to the DCH driver https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28662/eng/ReadMe64.txt . Outcome of the above is, that if you want use the DCH driver with gen 4th, you can't use higher Windows version than 1803.

Leon

0 Kudos
TJose9
Beginner

Is there anything more that I can try? Do you think it can be caused by hardware damage(intel gpu?).It is confusing because some drivers install but freeze shortly after booting so that made me think that hardware damage should be excluded. Obviously the drivers worked 3 and a half years ago when I got the laptop and now they don't, regardless of windows version/driver version.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. I don't believe that CPU can't be partially damaged. Any way it is working with Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver.
  2. You may check the CPU with Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool?httpDown=https%3A%2F%2Fdownloadmirror.intel.com%2F19792%2Feng%2FIPDT_Installer_4.1.4.36_64bit.exe

Leon

0 Kudos
TJose9
Beginner

The diagnostic test was passed. Even my 10 year old laptop with intel core 2 duo works fine in windows 10.

0 Kudos
TJose9
Beginner

The problem appeared after windows 1909 update. I think it installed an incompatible dch driver and now I can't install a standard one. Is there a way to reset the gpu/cpu? I know this sounds stupid but I think this is the problem. I haven't tried to format my entire hdd,but I don't want to loose data on the other partition.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. To uninstall Intel DCH Graphics Driver, disconnect the internet:

1.1. Open Windows Settings > Apps and Features, click on Intel Graphics Driver and click on uninstall

1.2. Open Device Manager, Display Adapters, click on Intel Graphics Driver and Uninstall Device (check the Delete... option).

1.3. Reboot your laptop, open Device Manager, you should see the Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver.

2. Install the old driver (previously downloaded).

3. Reconnect the internet and reboot your laptop.

4. However in your first post you mentioned that you are on Windows 1803, rather than 1909. I've explained to you that there is no support for Intel driver in version 1909. So, with Windows 1909, you may use only Microsoft Basic Graphic Driver on your laptop.

Leon

0 Kudos
TJose9
Beginner

I was on 1709 till today when I decided to downgrade to 1703 to test if the drivers work but no luck So I am on 1703 currently. I had windows 1909 before this whole problem started, I mean I updated from 1903 to 1909 then after 1 day, while I was gaming the screen went black, and I restarted and it froze while booting. So after that I tried downgrading windows versions. I hope I made myself understood.So actually the drivers worked until 1909 update, even though the drivers don't support anything after 1803. And now I don't understand why no driver works in 1703,1709,1803,1809,1903, because 2 weeks ago before this problem started the drivers worked ok.When I bought the laptop I started with windows 1607 then updated when a new windows version appeared and so on, and the problem started after I updated to 1909 from 1903. So until then, the drivers worked. Why don't they work now?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Why don't work now? is a big question. As far I understand, your laptop is equipped also with NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 950M chip. Did you installed the correct driver? https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin10/VGA/VGA_nVidia_Win10_64_VER101813538402.zip

Did you asked this question in Asus support?

Leon

0 Kudos
TJose9
Beginner

I installed the correct driver for 950m, still doesn't work. I also contacted asus and they said to reset the bios to the factory settings which I did, and to install driver from their site, which again I did but didn't work.Then they said to go to a service center so they can see if it's a hardware problem.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I may have mentioned before, this is a forum for Intel products, not nvidia. And, Asus is responsible for the support of THEIR laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
TJose9
Beginner

I tried the new intel hd 4600 driver launched on 10/1/2020, it says that it supports all windows 10 versions launched till then, I am on 1909 and I still get a black screen when installing it by setup or by device manager.

0 Kudos