Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20918 Discussions

Intel needs to put stability support on its graphics drivers for older games like battlefield 4

CHAMELEON
New Contributor I

I don't understand why some older and still very popular games are not having support on graphics driver releases. My games battlefield 4 and steel division 2 are unplayable, constant graphics driver crashes. Where is the support intel?. Provide stability updates on your graphics drivers for older games please because I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO ASKS FOR THIS.

And no my system's specifications aren't the problem.

IGPU: intel iris xe

RAM: 8gb (4gb+4gb dual channel)

Processor: core i7 1165g7 

compute units: 96

cores: 4 8 threads

Storage: 1tb 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you have a game that either complains about or refuses to run because it 'thinks' there is insufficient VRAM, then this game has a bug in it and you need to be contacting the game manufacturer for a fit. The DCH drivers for Intel's iGFX solution have working this way for 4 years, so the game manufacturers have had plenty of time to fix their bug.

If, on the other hand, your game is failing because of insufficient VRAM, well, don't blame it on the drivers; you need to get more RAM.

...S

0 Kudos
CHAMELEON
New Contributor I

Sneaky, and just how did you know my vram wasn't enough? Anyways, I find it hard to believe that this gaming IGPU intel iris xe, can only have 128mb of dedicated system memory available, even after having 4gb+ 4gb ( dual channel mode). I thought that when it comes to IGPUs, the memory gets shared with it and it gets a boost in vram amount when needed?

If ram is indeed the issue, could it be that the 4gb of ram even if dual channel, is bottlenecking the IGPU in some way, and that 8 gb+ 8gb= 16gb dual channel would give more vram or performance?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@CHAMELEONPlease stop this nonsense.  There is DEDICATED video memory, which is controlled by your bios, and there is SYSTEM  video memory, which is controlled by the OS and the OS can allocate up to 50% of your SYSTEM VIDEO MEMORY to graphics.

Your DEDICATED video memory is WORTHLESS.   I have told you this before.  Do you not remember?  Anyway, if you have a complaint about DEDICATED video memory, THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO.  IT IS WHAT IT IS.  If you have a game that wants DEDICATED video memory, get rid of the game as it is also worthless.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
CHAMELEON
New Contributor I

Not sure if I am mixing up dedicated video memory with vram or vice versa, but battlefield in particular wants 512mb of some kind of memory, can't remember what.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If your game is asking for 512MB, then you need to upgrade the game or tell the game manufacturer to fix such a stupid mistake.

0 Kudos
CHAMELEON
New Contributor I

You do realise each game requires a certain amount of graphics memory to be shared by the system ram right? that is the memory the game is asking a minimum for, the recommended is 3gb

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

All of Intel's IGPUs have only 128MB of dedicated VRAM; it's a static setting in the driver (it's all that's needed for basic operations). The amount of VRAM is then automatically increased/decreased as needs dictate through allocation/deallocation of system RAM as VRAM.

Over time, video games have had constantly increasing expectations for the amount of VRAM that they can utilize. The performance bottleneck is not in the iGPU but in the drivers and game itself. IMHO, anyone that is playing modern games should have at least 16GB of RAM (meaning 8GB of VRAM).

...S

0 Kudos
CHAMELEON
New Contributor I

Good to know scott, so from what you say if I get 16gb of ram, this turns to 8gb of vram. If this is the case then I have my awnser, still tho battlefield 4 is a 2013 game, AAA yes but none the less 2013. Not to mention I am in the lowest system settings, so why it is doing what it is doing is beyond me. Anyways thanks

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@CHAMELEON   You still do not understand.  Despite all the time spent with you on the Intel forums, you have not learned anything.

I am finished trying to help you.

0 Kudos