Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Iris Pro 580 (Intel Graphics Gen9) // No Man's Sky

Loeschzwerg
New Contributor I

Hi Intel Team,

No Man's Sky diretcly crashes to desktop after launch (after the Hello Games logo). I assume it's the missing OpenGL 4.5 Support within the drivers.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

No Man's Sky crashes to Desktop directly after shwoing the "Hello Games" logo on launch of the game.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Intel NUC6i7KYK

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

no

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

EIZO FS2735 connected via Mini DP to HDMI cable

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

2x 8GB DDR4-2133 SO-DIMM

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

<p style...
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

OpenGL 4.4 is all that is supported: Look under 6th gen in the following link: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005524.html Supported APIs and Features for Intel® Graphics Drivers

Doc

0 Kudos
Loeschzwerg
New Contributor I

Al_Hill: I know that, that's why I'm requesting OGL4.5 support The hardware is capable of handling OGL4.5, so it's just a matter of adding the missing extensions. Now I know that your driver team is limited on ressources, but there isn't really missing that much (looking at the Intel Mesa Driver for Linux ).

Stefan3D: Main problem on performance side is that you'll need a "beefy" CPU. On my main rig I've got an Haswell-EP with 14 cores (+ R9 Nano) running and beside the entry phase of new planets, the game runs very well. I could fix all crashes by deactivating SMT.

Intel Iris /Pro Graphics should have enough power to play the game with reduced details, the drivers just needs to be able to handle OGL4.5.

I will see if I can bypass the OGL check somehow...

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Loeschzwerg

The version check in OpenGL is no secret, every shader should start with

# version 450 core

The question is if the game developer actually uses OpenGL 4.5 functions or just wants to get rid off Intel GPU users

0 Kudos
Loeschzwerg
New Contributor I

The latest experimental patch for NMS now brings support for Radeon HD 6000 series and those cards don't meet all OGL4.5 requirements.

The good news: Support for Intel Graphics is also on the road Will be interesting to see the game perform on the Iris 540 and Iris Pro 580.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for this information this can help more users, Loeschzwerg, as mentioned this game doesn't support Intel Graphics. If there is anything else I could do for you, please let me know.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

"Requires OpenGL 4.5, Intel cards are not supported."

Source: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/pc-support/ PC Support | No Man's Sky

Judging from the tests on the net it doesn't even run properly on Polaris or Pascal flagship GPUs.

Check e.g. http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2561-no-mans-sky-frametime-performance-review-poor-performance No Man's Sky Frametime Performance Review: Not Even on a Titan XP | Gamers Nexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmark…

0 Kudos