Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

Iris Xe can't use 1080p monitor and 4K TV at same time using USB-C dock – Driver bug?

AlbertLPundtIV
Beginner

I work tech support for a school district, and we're in the process of upgrading our principals' laptops to Latitude 3520s. They have Core i5-1135G7 processors with Iris Xe graphics. One of them has a WD19 docking station which his monitors connect to.

With his previous laptop, a Latitude 5580 with Intel HD 620 graphics, he was able to connect to a 1080p monitor using DisplayPort and a 4K TV using HDMI. Due to bandwidth limitations of DisplayPort and HBR2, the TV only ran at 1080p, but this was fine. The computer automatically adjusted and only allowed the TV to be set up to 1920x1080, just like the monitor.

The problem is that the Iris Xe graphics on the new laptop don't do this. The TV is capable of running at full 3840x2160 at 60Hz when connected directly to the laptop's HDMI port, but when connected to the dock even by itself, the system simply won't enable it at all. In the Windows 10 display settings, it appears as a grayed-out display, and in the Intel Graphics Command Center, right clicking it and selecting "Enable" does nothing. With the monitor and TV both connected, only the monitor will work.

Why doesn't the Iris Xe driver allow output to the TV, albeit limited to 1920x1080? The HD 620 driver was able to do this just fine. Is this just a bug that needs to be reported, or is there a workaround? Positioning of things in the office makes running the HDMI directly into the laptop impractical as a long-term solution.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlbertLPundtIV
Beginner

I apologize for not replying sooner, since the original issue took a bit of a back seat for a while, and by the time we fixed this issue, I forgot about this thread. Sorry for leaving you all hanging!

What ultimately fixed it was updating the graphics driver to the version released on 2021-12-14, which as of this posting (2022-01-17) is still the latest version. After this update, behavior was exactly as expected, with the 4K TV being limited to 1080p at 60Hz in order to allow both dock-attached displays to run at this resolution. This is identical behavior to how the laptop with Intel HD 620 graphics handled both displays via USB-C.

I'm not sure if we just forgot to update the driver beforehand, or if—whether prompted by this thread (not likely) or by complete coincidence—the latest update included the fix for this bug, but thanks either way to the driver developers for fixing this!

EDIT: Meant to post this as a reply to the whole topic and not just the original post. The text box for the former was missing until I refreshed the page. Whoops!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello AlbertLPundtIV,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

I would like to let you know that Intel does not recommend using adapters or dockings since they may present unIn order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html  

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers: 

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html 

3. What is the brand and model name of the TV and monitor used?

4. Have you confirmed with the laptop manufacturer that the docking station used is compatible with this new laptop?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello AlbertLPundtIV,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello AlbertLPundtIV,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
LukaszMatuszewskiDiT

Hello,

I have the same problem with the Dell Latitude 5420 (11th Gen i5-1145G7 @ 2.60GHz)
Latest drivers, BIOS and Windows updates
The computer is connected to the Dell WD19S 130W Docking Station (USB-C)

Connected to the docking station:
Display Port- Dell U27 Monitor
HDMI - Samsung 67 inch 4K TV

I cannot screen on the TV - it detects but cannot be switched (gray icon in the view settings)

Is there any solution?
Idea?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@LukaszMatuszewskiDiT,

This conversation is for the exclusive discussion of @AlbertLPundtIV's issue. No hijacking. Please open your own conversation, starting with the Ask a Question button on the main page of the Graphics forum, to discuss your issue.

When you open this conversation, please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows. Select *all* data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog (below the edit box for the body of your response post), upload and attach this text file to the description of your problem.

As well, please answer this question: If you connect only the TV, does it work?

...S

0 Kudos
LukaszMatuszewskiDiT

I will do the (ntel System Support Utility for Windows) test in 2 - 4 days. Currently, I cannot access this computer

(As well, please answer this question: If you connect only the TV, does it work?)

I will check if the TV itself works

0 Kudos
LukaszMatuszewskiDiT

Intel Diagnosis Report - attached.

The problem is with this computer model: I checked for 2 of the same.

On another Dell Vostro laptop - 10th generation + same docking station is OK.

0 Kudos
Alx24
New Contributor II

Connection of TV via computer's HDMI port and display via docking station gives full resolution and max frame frequency.

This computer has single channel memory and own display. When connected to docking station, the frequency can be reduced in the display settings

Alx24.

0 Kudos
AlbertLPundtIV
Beginner

I apologize for not replying sooner, since the original issue took a bit of a back seat for a while, and by the time we fixed this issue, I forgot about this thread. Sorry for leaving you all hanging!

What ultimately fixed it was updating the graphics driver to the version released on 2021-12-14, which as of this posting (2022-01-17) is still the latest version. After this update, behavior was exactly as expected, with the 4K TV being limited to 1080p at 60Hz in order to allow both dock-attached displays to run at this resolution. This is identical behavior to how the laptop with Intel HD 620 graphics handled both displays via USB-C.

I'm not sure if we just forgot to update the driver beforehand, or if—whether prompted by this thread (not likely) or by complete coincidence—the latest update included the fix for this bug, but thanks either way to the driver developers for fixing this!

EDIT: Meant to post this as a reply to the whole topic and not just the original post. The text box for the former was missing until I refreshed the page. Whoops!

0 Kudos