Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Is it worth it to upgrade from 6700K, if you have to get motherboard too?

PHEIN1
Beginner

So, I've had a bit of a problem for a few years. I built a brand new desktop at fairly considerable expense several years ago, with a brand new Z170A mobo, a 6700K, etc. etc. The problem is that the next generation of CPUs immediately rendered my brand-new-supposed-to-be-future-proof motherboard worthless.

Because of that I held off on upgrading for some time. The additional labor and price of replacing my mobo as well as my processor meant that a small transition like 6700 to 7700 wasn't going to be worth it to me. Eventually I just settled and some years went by.

I've got the money now, and I've been thinking about it for a while... but I'll be so (really) pissed off if I buy a brand new motherboard again, and I get exactly one processor on it before I have to upgrade again because we're on some whole new architecture.

Realistically speaking, how far out are 10nm motherboards and chips for full sized desktops? Is it even worth waiting at this point, if I'm not super bottlenecked by my CPU? I'd love to have the performance bump, but I'm very much into regularly upgrading my hardware, to the extent that I'm actually reading up more on the latest AMD stuff. It wouldn't be the bleeding edge single core performance I actually want, but it looks like their stuff is at the beginning of a lifecycle and not stuck somewhere in devops hell at the end of it.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AlHill
Super User

You should be asking the motherboard manufacturer of your choice about there product line, and its ability to accommodate current and future processors for a specific socket.

As you know, Intel ceased making desktop boards in 2013.

Do not think the grass is greener on the AMD side.

Doc

0 Kudos