Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

Is there a known fix for the Intel HD 4000 Graphics driver regarding not recognizing the laptop monitor but detecting an external monitor?

RLued
Beginner

I have an ASUS X75A that I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. Everything appears to be working properly with the exception of the video adapter. When attempting to install the Intel HD 4000 Graphics driver it appears to proceed with installation successfully with a request to complete the installation with a reboot. Upon rebooting the laptop, the ASUS logo on the loading screen then the screen goes dark but still illuminated.

In order to have any visual I must use an external display with an HDMI cable. The primary laptop monitor goes completely dark as all video and audio goes to the external monitor. Removing the external HDMI does not allow the laptop to revert to using the internal monitor or sound.

The only way for me to use the internal laptop monitor is to rollback the driver to the default Microsoft Display Adapter. I have tried the recommended version of the driver from the ASUS website. I have also attempted using the latest version of the driver provided on Intel's website but to no avail. The BIOS is updated to the latest; I have tried adjusting all settings within BIOS as well but no change.

Any ideas what might be causing the driver to disable the laptop monitor and only allow the use of an external monitor? It appears only one monitor can be active at a time and it is only the external monitor with the most up-to-date graphics driver installed.

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

System Model: ASUS X75A

BIOS: X75A.415

0 Kudos
1 Reply
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello RLued, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. Upon review of the information you have provided, this does not seem to be a problem with the driver itself but more of a compatibility issue with the latest Windows 10* update. It is recommended to get in contact with Asus* for support, this way they can provide you with a driver that will work with your system. Keep in mind that there are no drivers for your system for Windows 10*. I could recommend you do a manual driver installation just to see if this solves the problem, but if not, please contact the manufacturer of the system. Refer to the steps and link below: 1 - Download the .zip driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28164/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-33-?product=81499 2 - Disconnect the computer from the internet.  3 - Go to device manager and check under display adapters. 4 - Right-click on the Intel ® Integrated Graphics, select the option uninstall and keep going until you only have Microsoft's basic display adapter. 5 - Unzip the file you downloaded previously. 6 - Right-click on the Microsoft's basic display adapter and select "Update driver". 7 - Select the option "Browse my computer for driver software. 8 - Select the option "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".  9 - Select the option "Have disk". 10 - Select the option "Browse". 11 - Access the designated location or folder where you unzipped the driver downloaded and access a folder called "Graphics".  12 - Select the setup information file (Typically named either "idglh64" or "igdlh"). 13 - Click on open and then click OK, finally click Next and the drivers will begin to install.  14 - Reboot your computer when the installation is completed. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos