Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Is there a replacement for G41 Express Chipset

DLong2
Beginner

I have an older desktop that uses the G41. (uses a 775 Socket) which our "friends" at MicroSoft issues an update on 9-10-2018 that basically stopped the unit from working. The video will flash a few times and then display a not supported message on the screen. The unit was a Win 7 and then upgraded to Win 10 2 years ago. I would prefer the least expensive option to get back on line. I do not like using my laptop if at possible.

My options appear to be:

1. Replace the chipset

2. Replace the mother board, etc.

3. Purchase a new computer.

Would appreciate any feedback. The so called repair shops all want to sell a new machine at the $750 and up range. I am on fixed income and not wanting to go that route!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Option 1 is not possible.

Yes, option 2 is possible, but that means you will also need a processor, memory, etc. Usually, when you start to roll your own, it ends up costing more than a nice, store bought system. Plus, there is the cost of the W10 license.

Option 3 is your best solution. Get yourself a new system, that is compatible with Windows 10, and includes the w10 license.

Now, looking for a new system, or some not so new system that still is supported under windows 10, here is a list of supported processors:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006105/processors.html Does My Intel® Processor Support Microsoft Windows® 10?

If your new system, or one you build has one of these processors, you should be ok.

And, here (for example) is a list of systems for less than $300 (sorted from high to low):

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100019096%20600566262%204017%204018&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=36 $200 - $300, $100 - $200, Windows 10 Home, Desktop Computers, Desktop Computers, Computer Systems - Newegg.com

Now, be careful. Some of these systems contain a 2nd gen processor, You want a 3rd gen or later processor.

This link is provided for your convenience.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Option 4: Go back to Windows 7. That would get you through until they EOL Windows 7 in 15 months.

I agree that it's not a good option but it is an option...

Just saying,

...S

DLong2
Beginner

Thanks for the responses. I opted away from win 7 as that is only a few months band aide, then right back into the search mode again. I am now looking at a new machine and visiting a computer repair shop that "thinks" they have a fix. If he doesn't fix it no cost, he also sells refurbed machines to be looked at. I have also visited Best Buy and did see 2 units that were really nice, one for under 400. Oh the decisions! No I am not poor, I do get a fixed income that takes care of most things but really have to think before I part with too much money. Your input certainly will help me make an intelligent decision. Thanks to all but Doc you really gave me some good links!

Dave

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am wondering if their "fix" is to install an add-on graphics card. This would get you past the G41 graphics problem.

Doc

0 Kudos
DLong2
Beginner

I will post a report as soon as there is an answer. I think I will go for the HP that is on sale at Best Buy if the old one can't be fixed. It surpasses everything my old machine has. It comes with 7th gen.i3-7100processor, 8 gig ram, dvd/cd burner, 1TB drive and a128 GB solid state drive as well and much more. I don't play games, don't do anything other than a few power point presentations and spread sheets. Surfing the net and email and of course Facebook.

I'll report soon and thanks again for the suggestions.

Dave

0 Kudos
DLong2
Beginner

In my area computer repair shops have pretty much dried up. The two I used are gone, leaving the Geek Squade and a shady computer outfit but there is one independent that just keeps plodding along. He is the one I am hoping will have a fix for me. Unfortunately he is a one man band and has been tied up for 2 days on a big commercial job. I am told he is worth the wait and is aware that I am on a deadline of the computers being on sale til Saturday. He is hoping to be in the shop tomorrow afternoon. Result, I have nothing to report!

Dave

0 Kudos
DLong2
Beginner

The final report. The tech plugged in a video card and it worked right off. We chatted for a while and he noted that the Pentium chip in my unit was many generation old. Yes it works but it won't be long. The vid card would cost 29 plus tax and I would be back where I was. He has a (I think it was i3 gen 7) computer refurbed with a tera disk for 175 that will meet my needs for many many years to come and Win 10 will support everything for many years, or til they decide not to. He is going to clean the drive and reload Win 10 (yes its legal w license). I am supposed to look at it fully operational tomorrow and will probably buy it. He is only 1/2 mile from the house and is highly regarded in the community, all the store techs speak of him with reverence and awe.

Can't wait to put this laptop back to the job it has, over my keyboard displaying my music.

Dave

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

For that price, a 7th gen processor is a *huge* step forward - only a little better than a year out of date and you should see significantly better performance and using significantly less power to achieve it. If he's standing behind the refurb job, all the better. Do you know what motherboard it is using?

...S

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Yep, that is what I thought. And, it was probably an older video card, thus its compatibility.

For $29, not bad at all.

Doc

0 Kudos
DLong2
Beginner

Well this is the end of the saga. I bought the new to me computer, Had to come with a new keyboard which is the soft touch like a piano keyboard, I don't care for it but its mine. The computer is much faster than the old to say the least! Unfortunately the saga continued at home. I connected everything and turned her on and the *&^%$ED video was still strobing! Hauled it to the shop and he plugged it into his computer and it is a strobe as well. Long story short, after all the running around, etc. what I really needed was a new monitor! MS 10 had nothing to do with the problem at all, my old computer was still OK, even if the MS tech and Intel tech both said it was an update kill, it was not. It was a bad monitor. New monitor is now on the machine and it is what I am using to finish this thread.

No complaints though, the computer was at least 8 or 9 years old, was not real fast, just comfortable to use, and Eric did find problems with fans and a couple of other issues. He said I could get them fixed but I would still have an old board that was going to fail eventually anyway and the repair would be more than what I paid for the new to me Dell. So all is good and I did not have to spend $700 plus.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Glad you have it worked out.

Doc

0 Kudos