Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Is video chipset causing beeping on laptop?

_jg4
Beginner

I have Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 ship date Jun 2013 with GPU Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver date 12/18/2013 driver version 10.18.10.3379.

Every time I restart the laptop and randomly when I power on the laptop I will get 8 beeps repeatedly and black screen. I have to force shut down and then after one or more tries POST passes and it boots normally. I found 8 beeps indicate LCD failure, however I've run onboard diagnostics and no problems were found with any components. I've been advised the problem is either LCD cable, LCD screen, or the video chipset on the motherboard. When laptop boots to Windows there is no problem with the display at all. Although I must report one day when CPU was running hard the Intel Graphics stopped responding message appeared, screen went black for a second, and then everything recovered like normal, and this has only happened once! 😔

Is the Intel graphics chip failing, or could it be causing this beeping? What does an intermittent failure of the chipset usually look like? I've been advised it's not possible to replace this chip once it fails as its soldered to motherboard and furthermore no longer in production.

Any help is MUCH appreciated. 😀 Please advise if anyone knows about chip failures. I am trying how to stop this random beeping because laptop is unusable until it goes away!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @_jg4

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to inform you that due to the Intel® HD Graphics 4000 has been discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request.

Note: You might need to search for the proper Product Category and click on its "Show more" link if the product is not visible in the top rows.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding. 

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos