Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Issue when updating the Intel Iris Xe Graphics driver with Intel Driver & Support

Simon8
Beginner

CC: Microsoft and Intel

There is an issue when updating the Intel Iris Xe Graphics driver with Intel Driver & Support Assistant installed.

Windows Update and Intel Driver & Support Assistant continually update the graphics driver software, with each thinking it is installing a newer version - I.e. they are both stuck in a loop of re-installing the same two drivers.

Below are the driver details. Note that Intel Driver & Support Assistant is trying to install the driver with the HIGHEST version number, while Windows Update is trying to install the driver with the LATEST date.

Intel Driver & Support Assistant:
Version: 31.0.101.3413
Date: 8/19/2022

Windows Update:
Version: 30.0.100.9864
Date: 8/20/2021

0 Kudos
2 Replies
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

"while Windows Update is trying to install the driver with the LATEST date"  that is not correct. It is actually old

The one from Intel Driver & Support Assistant is both, the higher version, and the latest date, because it is from 2022.

The Windows driver is from 2021.

This is a Windows issue, it seems they're trying to install a customized driver they got from the computer manufacturer (I think because of the older version they try to install)...

Intel DSA is doing well its job... you can try blocking the driver install in Windows update, and report the issue to them

Simon8
Beginner

My point is that it is ambiguous for Intel to release drivers with a newer version number and an older release date than the previous driver (remember that both drivers are ultimately provided by Intel).

Surely, if all Intel drivers with a higher version number also had a newer release date, then this issue would not occur with Windows Update.

Equally, it's questionable if Windows Update should be using the release date instead of the version number to select the latest driver.

0 Kudos