Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

Issues playing videos on HD520 / Falls Creator Update with Latest drivers

CRgt
Beginner

Hello,

I have an issue with the last intel HD graphics driver updates. I'm using the latest one from november 7 and i'm having issues with videos, all is explained below.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Hardware decoded videos stop working/won't play after the computer goes once in sleep mode on microsoft edge / IE / stock windows "movies app". It still works on chrome / vlc.

Office 2016 also crash on start.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): x

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Asus UX303UA i3 6100u

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Intel HD 520, no other gpu

<span style="font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-size: 10pt...

0 Kudos
24 Replies
CRgt
Beginner

Update :

I wanted to find a fix so i opened windows event viewer. After sleep I had an error with the "TPM module". So i looked up on google, I reseted in via tpm.msc, disabled secure boot and it seem to have fixed the issue. The tpm module is broken though, tpm.msc doesn't work anymore.

I don't undertand how everything is related but that seem to have fixed my video issue. I'll wait a few days just to be sure.

Issue is still there. I made a dirty fix : a batch file that disable and enable my HD520 after sleep. This not an acceptable solution but that's all i found for now

It also makes microsoft word crash, wtf ! igd10iumd32.dll is the culprit.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello corentin_,

Thank you for contacting Intel® technical support. I will be more than happy to help you.

I understand that you are having issues with playing videos with an Intel® HD Graphics 520 controller after upgrading to Windows® 10 Fall Creators.

Thank you for providing with a report of the issue. We will be replicating the issue in our labs to be able to look for a solution for you.

Please have in mind that it may take around a week to get a result, but we will contact you to keep you updated.

Regards,

Xavier A.
CRgt
Beginner

Thank you for your time !

I tried rolling back to another driver but I still have the same video/office issues.

Here is a screenshot of my event viewer when word crashed :

I also installed the latest cumulative update (from yesterday) but it didn't help. If you need more information just ask me !

I found a thread related to this issue : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_win10/word-2016-crashes/2f5f9490-d373-4db8-a425-64a1591f0046 Word 2016 crashes - Microsoft Community . This person also has an asus laptop and office 2016.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello corentin_,

Thank you for the information provided. This will be helpful in our research.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
CRgt
Beginner

Hello,

Do you have any updates ?

I've been trying to find from where this issue comes from with the windows event manager but no luck.

It really seems to be related to sleep mode though

Thanks !

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello corentin_,

Thank you for your patience. We tried to replicate these issues in our laboratories with the same Intel® HD Graphics controller and with the same operating system and driver version, but there were no issues with our systems.

Since we did not detect any issue specifically related to the driver for the Intel® HD Graphics 520 controller on Windows® 10 Fall Creators, our recommendation would be to perform a system recovery in your computer to go back to a moment that your system was working properly. Additionally, and if the issues persist, you may also contact Microsoft® Support to troubleshoot the operating system.

For instructions on how to perform a system recovery, please follow the next link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel®. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
CRgt
Beginner

Okay , thank you for your time then, I guess this is an issue only affecting asus laptops.. I will try to do a clean install !

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello corentin_,

You are welcome. I hope that a clean installation helps you with this situation.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
CRgt
Beginner

Hello,

I just did a clean install from microsoft official windows ISO. I installed the latest driver and the issue is NOT fixed.

I know you tried to fix it but i'm stuck with a buggy system...

Windows 10 is probably responsible for this, since every update has more bugs than the previous one...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello corentin_,

I am terribly sorry to see that issue persists after a Windows® clean installation. At this point, this definitively seems to be an issue with the operating system.

I would recommend you to contact Microsoft® Support to request assistance to troubleshoot the operating system, specially if you have find other bugs and issues in Windows®.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
CRgt
Beginner

Hello,

I'm bumping this thread again, i've reinstalled windows 10 1709, the latest drivers, etc.

Same issue... it's annoying because it's so strange and there's no way to view when/why it gets buggy.

So again, the bugs are : when I turn on my laptop, for maybe 1h everything is fine, i can play videos in Microsoft edge/IE, play movies in the default "movies & tv app". Then one hour later video stops playing for no reason. But the strangest thing is that if I have a YouTube tab in edge in autoplay, it will continue to work and play new videos (???). Eventually if I wait without disabling/reenabling the iGpu, even other programs will stop using the gpu to decode video (MPC HC, VLC, chrome, etc).

Another weird thing is that the iGPU (so hd 520) will after around 1h start to stay active and waste my battery. Using intel power gadget, it reports 0.45 ghz for "Gt frq0" (= igpu). If i close every program this doesn't stop so i have to disable/reenable the gpu in device manager for it to drop back to 0.0 ghz.

So even if you can't fix my issue, is there any debugger or something to view what is causing this issue ? Windows event viewer doesn't help, edge neither. In chrome using chrome://gpu i get some intel driver related stuff (see pic below) but there's Nothing on Google. And i want to use Windows 10 since my laptop came with it and Windows 7 isn't power efficient.

Also is there any beta driver or anything that could be more stable and help my HD 520 to stop it from "crashing"/decoding video ? And is there any case of "faulty" HD 520 ? It's such an essential part of a laptop i can't really believe why it's so buggy.

Thanks..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, corentin_.

Please allow me to continue assisting you with the issue you are facing.

I will suggest first to complete a manual installation of the graphics drivers from Intel®. Please download the latest graphics version by clicking https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27412/a08/win64_15.60.2.4901.zip here.

Then to complete the installation please follow the steps of this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics-drivers.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics-drivers.html

Please be aware that the driver I am sharing with you is a generic driver from Intel® and some features of it might not be available for your machine, we always recommend verifying if there is an update with the manufacturer of the computer. Nevertheless, we can try to perform this troubleshooting step.

If those steps did not solve the problem, please install the drivers which are provided by ASUS*. You can download them by clicking http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin10/VGA/VGA_Intel_Skylake_Win10_64_VER2019154352.zip?_ga=2.159611645.157180595.1516300163-1804575564.1513638234 here.

I will recommend installing the latest http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/UX303UA/UX303UAAS301.zip?_ga=2.166805118.157180595.1516300163-1804575564.1513638234 BIOS version and http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin10/Chipset/Chipset_Intel_Skylate_Win10_64_VER101111.zip?_ga=2.166805118.157180595.1516300163-1804575564.1513638234 Chipset version provided by your system manufacturer.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
CRgt
Beginner

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I tried every driver given by ASUS. For the drivers provided by intel i've tried a few too, i'm on the latest one at the moment (23.20.16.4901) and it's the "least worst" one, but my issue is still there.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, coretin_.

I really apologize this issue persists.

I would like you to run some tests on your computer if you don't mind.Please let me know the results and if the issue persists.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
CRgt
Beginner

So :

I did the memory check, it took a while but no errors were found.

I ran "sfc /scannow", no errors were found either.

My SSD "S.M.A.R.T." data is clean

That doesn't really surprise me, I really think the issue comes from my HD 520, or the driver but i don't have any tool to test this

Edit : I downgraded my driver to screenshot what the errors look like. The newer driver just hide the bugs. Instead of crashing edge/IE, the videos just won't play so there are no errors in the event viewer. Something maybe has been done on your side to try to fix the bug (or hide it) I guess ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, coretin_.

Thank you very much for your reply and the information provided.

I will perform a deeper research regarding your issue to verify if there is any other troubleshooting you can perform in this case. As soon as I have an answer I will let you know.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
CRgt
Beginner

Okay, thanks for your time !

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello corentin_

I would like to step in and help as well if you don't mind

First please correct me if I'm wrong here, but as I understand, the issue of videos crashing after sleep is occurring only on Edge (for web videos) and the Movies & TV application (for local videos), am I correct? (i.e. the same videos work correctly on Chrome and VLC).

If that is the case, I doubt it is a problem with the Hardware (HW) decoding itself, and rather how the applications are accessing the API used to interface with the HW. However, I still need more information.

Are you using any codec pack? (e.g. CCCP or Klite)

Can you show a link to a video that fails everytime?

I believe Antony already tried replicating the issue to no avail, but I'm also interested in checking with codecs we're talking about here (I suspect it is VP9 for web videos and HEVC for local).

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
CRgt
Beginner

Hello,

Yes that's it, edge (and IE), and the movie app. Firefox somehow gets around it. Chrome mostly gets around it, sometimes it will just use software decoding.

I don't have any codec installed (apart from the official microsoft "hevc extension" on the windows store if this does anything ? but since youtube is in h264 on edge it doesn't matter i think. And I had the bug without it installed).

And the thing is it's not a specific video. It's every video on every video site (YT, dailymotion, vid.me, you name it). It's like if my iGPU suddenly "dies" (?) and refuses to decode video after a certain period of time.

As a temporary fix i've set up a scheduled task that disables/enables my HD 520 everytime my laptop wakes up from sleep. But it's a clunky fix

Regarding codecs : before the intel 4901 driver update, when my laptop was in a "buggy state" (= the hd520 refuses to decode video), i would get an error in the movies and tv app while trying to play h265 8 bit movies. Now, only the sounds play and there's a black screen. That's why I think something was done to try to fix the issue (?) on your end, since there's no more error displayed. Edge and IE would crash and refresh the page. Now youtube says "an error happened while trying to play this video" or something like that.

What bugs me is that i don't know what triggers the "buggy" state, there's no event in the event viewer or anything.. I'll try to make a quick video to show you the "buggy state" maybe this weekend ?

Thanks for your help !

Corentin

0 Kudos
CRgt
Beginner

Hello, so I did a fresh install again and recorded 2 quick videos, one with the default driver (when in "buggy state", edge reload endlessly pages with a video) https://streamable.com/g8j96 Microsoft Edge 10_02_2018 23_20_47 - Streamable , and another with the latest 4901 driver (the page loads, but the video player itself display an error on every website) https://streamable.com/xdmll Microsoft Edge 11_02_2018 14_25_01 - Streamable

Thanks for you help

0 Kudos