Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Jumping mouse cursor when pointer is changing

clel
New Contributor I

I experience the same issue as described on https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/HD4000-mouse-cursor-jumping-when-mouse-pointer-is-changing/td-p/282488 but on an Intel(R) Atom(TM) x5-Z8300 CPU @ 1.44GHz.

It is the TrekStor SurfTab Twin 11.6.

This issue has been there since I bought the device a few years ago and I think other customers also had been complaining about it. Only recently I found out that this is probably a problem with the graphics driver. After updating it to the most recent version, the problem still persists, unfortunately.

I filed a support request, but wanted to also share this here on the forum, so others can see it.

0 Kudos
32 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

clel, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Thank you very much for sharing this scenario with all the peers in the communities.

In this case, since the problem started right after the computer was purchased, then what we recommend will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the computer for further assistance on this matter, a firmware update might be needed on the device depending on the Operating System being used and they will be able to provide further details about this topic:

https://www.trekstor.de/service-support-en.html

Please keep checking your support request for additional updates on this case.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
clel
New Contributor I

Thanks for your answer. I already contacted the manufacturer today.

However, I am pretty sure this is caused by the driver. When the driver is not used, the problem does not occurr. So I think this is the correct place to come to since you are responsible for the driver, imho.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

clel, Thank you very much for providing that information.

We always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

The Intel® Graphics drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your platform because they do not contain the customizations done by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) especially, as you mentioned, that the problem started 2 years ago when you first purchased the computer, since then until now there were many Intel® Graphics drivers releases, the latest Intel® driver that is currently the latest one was not even released 2 years ago.

I looked in TrekStor's web site for the Graphics driver validated by them what and they have is a package that apparently contains all the drivers needed for your system, it says it is 32-bit. Please try a clean installation of the driver packager provided by them, those are the proper drivers for your system, look where it says "Downloads":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics.html

https://www.trekstor.de/products/2in1/detail-2in1/product/surftab-twin-116-wifi.html  

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
clel
New Contributor I

I already had that problem with the driver provided by the manufacturer. As I said, I have this problem since I can remember and the device came with the drivers preinstalled. I am pretty certain I also tried to reinstall the driver package you linked below. Also note that it is not 2 years ago that I purchased that device, but if I remember correctly some longer time. You must have misread the first post.

Can you maybe link to some reference documentation that describes the difference between generic drivers and customized driver versions by OEMs?

0 Kudos
clel
New Contributor I

As side note, I now searched for the relationship between OEM customizations and the generic driver. I did not really found what I looked for (official documentation), however I this:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15753/gpus-unleashed-intel-releases-first-unlocked-gpu-driver-for-oem-systems

Intel apparently recently allowed upgrading from OEM drivers to never generic versions while preserving the customations most times. So that should be supported in most cases.

Still, since I have problems with the driver, I want to point out again that they also happened on the OEM driver, so this is not the fault of the upgrade to the generic driver recently.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

clel, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

In reference to the link you shared, actually, that statement about unlocked drivers that maintain OEM customizations complies or is applicable only for Intel® DCH drivers and those are only available for newer systems, 6th generation processors or newer. 

Here is the official link about containing the information about Intel® generic drivers and OEM drivers:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000038757/graphics.html

We will try to replicate this scenario in our Intel® Lab, could you please provide the specific steps that you do when the issue occurs so we can try to follow them and reproduce this situation in our lab?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
clel
New Contributor I

Thanks for the answer. I also saw something about DCH drivers. Are there plans to also introduce those for older procesors?

Thanks also for the link regarding generic and OEM drivers.

I am glad to hear that you will try to reproduce this problem now. I am happy to help with it, if you need more assistance, please let me know. I really want to fix this issue.

The issue seems to always occur. The steps would be to install the latest Windows (version 2004), install the latest Intel graphics driver and have both running. Then you move the mouse pointer slowly to a text field, like the search bar in the Windows task bar at the bottom left. When you reach the edge the cursor jumps to the opposite side of the screen, right when he is turning into a text cursor. When you move approximately one pixel more into the text field, the cursor is back to the expected position again. Also note that this issue also occurs at other circumstances like sometimes after clicking on a button of a dialog, but that would be harder to reproduce.

I have scaling enabled (150 %) on the machine I am experiencing this, but that should be unrelated. As far as I know it also happened when I disabled the scaling. But just as a side note.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

clel, You are very welcome, Thank you very much for providing the steps to reproduce this scenario.

In regard to your question about introducing those for older Intel® Processors, there is no official information from Intel® about that topic at this moment.

Could you please provide a video of the issue so we can have a clear and better understanding of when is that the problem occurs?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
clel
New Contributor I

I took a video showing the problem now.

I set the scale factor to 100 % to rule that out as a cause. I rebooted after that to make sure it is applied correctly.

I used an empty editor window to get a text field near the middle of the screen, but this happens with every text field where the cursor changes.

The issue could not be captured with the screen recording software I tried (Integrated into Windows, I guess XBox Game Bar). This might give some clue.

So I went ahead and filmed the screen with a smartphone. Notice that the "icon" of the jumped cursor differs based on what direction I move.

I created two versions, one with some highlights of the jumped cursor and one without those highlights.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

clel, Thank you very much for providing the videos.

We will try now to replicate the issue in our Intel® lab, as soon as I get any results I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

clel, I have an update on this matter.

We tried to replicate the issue in the Intel® lab using the following components: 

Environment:

• Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i3RYH
  • Intel® HD Graphics 5500 
  • Edge browser
  • Windows* 10 Pro (10.0.19041 Build 19041) up to date

Steps:

• Performing a clean installation of the Intel® Graphics driver version: 15.40.45.5126.
  • Install Intel® Graphics driver version 15.40.46.5144
  • There are no issues with neither of those driver versions, the mouse cursor works properly, please see the video attached to this post.

Am I missing something? please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
clel
New Contributor I

Thanks for your answer!

Regarding the specifics of your reproduction:

You seem to use the wrong hardware to reproduce this. You mention

• Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i3RYH
  • Intel® HD Graphics 5500

This is a Core i3 (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/83257/intel-nuc-kit-nuc5i3ryh.html, https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/84697/intel-core-i3-5010u-processor-3m-cache-2-10-ghz.html) with probably a different graphics chip. I am experiencing this on a Intel(R) Atom(TM) x5-Z8300 CPU (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/87383/intel-atom-x5-z8300-processor-2m-cache-up-to-1-84-ghz.html) as written above. So it is quite expectable that you cannot reproduce it on different hardware.

I think this is the thing you were missing.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello clel, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello clel, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
clel
New Contributor I

Sorry for not getting back earlier. The answers provided did not help, I hope this can be reopened.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

clel, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your comments.

I will double-check on this case, as soon as I get any more details, I will post all the information on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi clel, I just received an update on this matter.

In this case, the device is different but the integrated graphics processor unit iGPU, is the same in both systems, then the test for graphics is valid, and the issue seems to be related to the OEM design, not to the Intel® HD Graphics.

At this point, what we recommend is to use the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) drivers directly from them, since the drivers may require customizations from the manufacturer of the computer.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
clel
New Contributor I

Thanks for getting back.

Do you have a link to show they use the same iGPU? On the pages I linked above it did not seem to be the case. Also the details like clock frequency and other stuff like supported resolution etc. seem to greatly differ. Thus I'd conclude that those CPUs don't use the same graphics solution.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

clel, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

In reference to your request about the link, I will check if that is possible and as soon as I get an answer I will let you know on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

clel, I just received an update on this matter.

The issue seems to be related to the OEM design, not to the Intel® HD Graphics.

At this point, the recommendation is using the OEM drivers directly from them, since the drivers may require customizations made by them.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos