Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20708 Discussions

Jumping mouse cursor when pointer is changing

clel
New Contributor I

I experience the same issue as described on https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/HD4000-mouse-cursor-jumping-when-mouse-pointer-is-changing/td-p/282488 but on an Intel(R) Atom(TM) x5-Z8300 CPU @ 1.44GHz.

It is the TrekStor SurfTab Twin 11.6.

This issue has been there since I bought the device a few years ago and I think other customers also had been complaining about it. Only recently I found out that this is probably a problem with the graphics driver. After updating it to the most recent version, the problem still persists, unfortunately.

I filed a support request, but wanted to also share this here on the forum, so others can see it.

0 Kudos
32 Replies
clel
New Contributor I

Hm, what makes you think so? Currently you did not seem to have tried to reproduce it using the same hardware, but on different graphics hardware.

Please provide adequate references for the things you say. Currently they don't seem logical but just guesses to me.

Also, as I said before: Using the OEM driver gives the same problem. So this suggestion is useless for me.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

clel, Thank you very much for your comments.

"Please provide adequate references for the things you say" Sure, I will try to gather the information you are requesting and then I will post the results on this thread as soon as I get them.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
clel
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

clel, You are very welcome, I just received an update on this matter.

In this case, since none of the drivers are working with this device, neither the ones provided by the manufacturer of the unit nor the Intel® Generic drivers, then the issue is unrelated to the drivers. Therefore for this scenario, the next thing to do will be to get in contact with the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) directly to check their warranty options, since there could be a hardware faulty component and a replacement might be needed.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
clel
New Contributor I

First, thanks for providing the reasoning for the conclusions you confronted me with.

However, I have to say that the conclusions you draw from that reasoning are not valid. They are not the only possible conclusion one can draw from those facts.

Another, more plausible one might be that both the OEM and Intel Generic drivers contain the same problem. Nonetheless Intel doesn't seem to be that interested in evaluating whether this is the case.

You unfortunately also still haven't provided any proof to back up your statement the graphics unit used in your testing machine is the same as the one on my hardware and when comparing the data of both chipsets that also seems to be highly unlikely.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

clel, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

We understand your concerns and we will review this case presenting all your feedback and comments, as soon as I get more updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I don't buy the OP's interpretation. This shouldn't be the case -- at least not if the vendor is actually testing the drivers before making them available. They should always have a baseline driver set that has been validated as working for their hardware SKUs.

...S

0 Kudos
clel
New Contributor I

You don't have to buy it. One could simply check it. It is one possible interpretation, so currently the state is that we simply don't know and everything else is just speculating.

Also note that I linked another thread in the first post where a similar problem occurred in the past with a different graphics chip. So there obviously already has been such a case where testing did not help to prevent this issue from "slipping through". So to me your reasoning that this "shouldn't be the case" is not convincing. That does not mean that it is the case, but rather that we simply cannot rule that possibility out.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Clel, I just received another update on this matter.

We were unable to replicate the issue in our hardware here which indicates the driver is working correctly, we cannot reproduce on every hardware that is available out in the market as every OEM can vary the design and implementation, that is why at this point all we can do is recommend you to report this case to your system manufacturer directly so they can debug this issue on the exact same hardware. If they can replicate the issue they will debug and if the issue is with Intel®, the OEM will work directly with us to address it.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
clel
New Contributor I

Thanks again.

Currently it feels like running in circles here.

"We were unable to replicate the issue in our hardware here which indicates the driver is working correctly"

- You used hardware with a completely different graphics chipset as it seems. This is not how replicating things work.

"we cannot reproduce on every hardware that is available out in the market as every OEM can vary the design and implementation"

- Maybe try to use the same Atom chip for starters. Else it is pretty obvious that you cannot reproduce. If and only if it does not happen on the same Atom chip it is likely that the issue is related to OEM specific design. Currently there is no clue at all pointing in this direction.

So I ask again, please, please try to reproduce it with the correct chipset. Or please let me know if that is not possible because you don't have all Intel chipsets at hand to test things properly.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Clel, You are welcome, thank you for your comments.

No problem at all, we will review the case again and I will let you know all the updates on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Clel, I just received another update about this matter.

At this moment we don't have any system with Intel® Atom for issue reproduction handy, primarily because this platform is targeted for OEMs to set their own embedded and mobile designs. Primary support for embedded and mobile designs must come from the OEM. If they validate the issue and confirm it is coming from Intel® they will work directly with us, this implies they will supply their hardware implementation to our engineers for further debugging).

Just to let you know, the thread will remain open in case other customers report the same issue or add further comments on this topic.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos