Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Laptop Screen Brightness Changes Depending on What's on Screen

DMcCl8
Beginner

When a dark image is on screen the brightness visibly lowers, and the screen brightness increases when a lighter color is on screen. I can't find an option to fix this. Many forums from 1-2 years ago say that I should just be able to uncheck Intel Display Power Saving Technology (DSPT), but there is no such option in my Graphics Command Center. There also exists no adaptive brightness setting in my system settings. Some forums recommended changing something in the registry to stop the brightness changes, but I highly doubt that I wouldn't royally screw something up if I started changing numbers around in there.

My graphics driver is 26.20.100.7462, and is as of now up-to-date. As well as the Graphics Command Center.

Can I find disable this in some options menu that I somehow happened to miss, or is the registry the only way to turn off this annoying feature in 2020? Thanks.

Laptop is Dell Inspiron 3593

Processor is i5-1035G1

Integrated Graphicscommandcenter1.PNGcommandcenter5.PNG

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You need to turn off Adaptive Brightness. In the second page you displayed, it appears that you have already done this. It is unclear why it is still occurring. Have you rebooted since you changed this setting?

...S

0 Kudos
DMcCl8
Beginner

Yes, I even turned the setting on and rebooted to see if that changed anything. No results. One thing I did notice, was that the setting stays off (as it should) while plugged in. It just happens on battery power, even if the power plan is set to Maximum Performance (I normally have it on balanced).

I also tried turning on/off the local contrast enhancement setting in the Command Center Display > Colors menu and rebooting with no results. I tried this because it seems like the change might change contrast as well as brightness (if that helps narrow any solution down).

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You'll have to ask Dell about this feature.

...S

0 Kudos
hdm18
Beginner

Try installing Intel® Graphics Control Panel from the Microsoft Store. It's the Graphics Command Center's predecessor and it's not supported anymore, but it might have the DSPT setting under the Power options.

0 Kudos