Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Latest available UHD 630 driver update with 8th gen Core processor?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My OEM made an urgent update available for the UHD 630 graphics driver. I have an 8th gen Core i7-8700 processor. The driver version that has just been made available is 27.20.100.8854

The OEM states in the description that this UHD graphics driver is for 9th gen Intel processors.

I've already contacted the OEM twice asking why this driver update is being made available when I do not have a 9th gen processor.  They've told me that this update addresses the Intel Security Advisory INTEL-SA-00438 and that I should be able to install it.

I've tried multiple times to install this update and each time an error occurs that I already have the most recent driver version installed.

The driver version currently installed is 27.20.100.8681

I should not need to uninstall the UHD 630 driver before installing this latest available update. 

Is the reason I am having difficulty installing version 27.20.100.8854 is because this driver update is actually incompatible with an 8th gen Core i7-8700 processor ?  

[EDIT] There is an OEM software utility which is a factory pre-installed tool on this particular system's model. The utility was used for entering a service tag number (or product tag number) by the OEM factory onto the NVRAM before the model shipped.  This tag number can accordingly be used for locating software driver updates to install by the user when entering the tag number onto the OEM's website for the model.

The motherboard that shipped with the system is the same motherboard which is currently installed on the system. The CPU has not been upgraded. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Coffee_Lake,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Now that we understand your question better, as you can see in the following link we have several graphics that are related to the different 8th generation processors we have released over the years, among them you will find the Intel® UHD Graphics 630; however, if you check this other link you will realize that not only some 9th generation processors still have them but even some 10th generation processors also have them; consequently, the answer will be no, those graphics are not unique to only the 8th generation.

We are glad that you were able to report the issue directly with Dell’s support and do not worry if there is a problem with their customized drivers and they need our help with anything they will work with us internally to move forward.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Coffee_Lake,

What you need to take into consideration here is that you can choose to have either generic or customized drivers in your system, if you OEM released a new customized driver and you are having a hard time installing it you have two options there, you either can report the issue directly to them so they can ask whatever information they seem fit so they can investigate this issue further or you can just simply install the update, by completing a clean installation of it using our instructions.

If you are still unable to install the update you can also use one of our generic drivers to update your graphics, the latest one can be found here and the instructions will be the same provided above, just remember that this will be a generic version and the lack of customization may or may not cause unforeseen issues when it's being installed in a highly customized system.

Important note:

Installing this Intel generic graphics driver will overwrite your computer manufacturer (OEM) customized driver. OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues. The generic Intel driver provides users the latest and greatest feature enhancements and bug fixes that OEMs may not have customized yet to address platform-specific needs. Users can check for matching OEM versions at OEM websites.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Victor_G_Intel

Apparently, I should've considered wording my question in another way.
Days spent searching with multiple types of inquiries came back with these desktop processors :

8th Gen
Core i3-8100, Core i3-8350K, Core i5-8400, Core i5-8400K, Core-i5 8600, Core i7-8700, and the Core i7-8700K .

9th Gen :
Core-i5 9600K, Core-i7 9700K, and the Core-i9 9900K.

BTW I had already reached out to Dell three times prior. Like all OEM tier 1 level support, they're basically non-existent when it comes to the nature of this inquiry. Fortunately however, there was a moderator on Dell's forum who responded and escalated it up to within Dell.
My intention of posting on this forum was to find out whether or not the UHD 630 GPU was only unique for the 8th gen Coffee Lake desktop architecture.
To answer my own question then, no. The integrated UHD 630 GPU is not unique to only the 8th generation of Intel processors.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Coffee_Lake,

Now that we understand your question better, as you can see in the following link we have several graphics that are related to the different 8th generation processors we have released over the years, among them you will find the Intel® UHD Graphics 630; however, if you check this other link you will realize that not only some 9th generation processors still have them but even some 10th generation processors also have them; consequently, the answer will be no, those graphics are not unique to only the 8th generation.

We are glad that you were able to report the issue directly with Dell’s support and do not worry if there is a problem with their customized drivers and they need our help with anything they will work with us internally to move forward.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Coffee_Lake,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Victor_G_Intel

Yes I read your post. 

When attempting to install the Intel driver on the Dell Support website after the driver failed to install and the message received stated: "you already have the most recent update installed". . .

. . .What the message probably should have said to avoid any confusion is something like : "This version is already installed".

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Coffee_Lake,

We appreciate your time and patience to contact us regarding this matter, since the thread is now solved we will proceed to close it; however,  if you need anything else in the future you are more than welcome to submit a new question just remember that this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos