Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Low performance due to low Dedicated VRAM

Jezorek
Beginner

Hello

I have HD Graphics 530 on i5-6600 with 16GB RAM and SSD, Win10 64 last update.

My old programmes for image/video editing often laggs.

I have resolved this through Regedit GMM/DVM DedicatedSegmentSize parameter and the programmes works great.

But this regedit feature has no effect now (Dedicated VRAM is still 128MB).

How can I set the Dedicated VRAM from default 128M to higher vaule again?

The reply "that DVMT" is not reply. I have maximum VRAM 8GB but all older image/video editing programms laggs because they see 128MB.

Thank you for some helpfull reply.

(My motherboard has not an option for setup of Dedicated VRAM)

I tried it on i7-9800 too on another PC. What is expensive CPU with strong graphics for me, when the programmes cannot use it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Look, I am not going to argue this with you. That the capability was removed from the APIs by Microsoft is a fact. That Intel's compliant drivers cannot access the registry as they did previously is a fact. Yes, it's true that there are ways intel could work around this, but Intel is having a tough enough time getting their drivers to run well that they do not need to be wasting valuable resources implementing workarounds for broken games. Do not wait for this capability to come back; it isn't going to happen.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Your graphics will consume upto 50% of available SYSTEM memory.

DEDICATED video memory, controlled by the bios, is old school.  For those games of yours that require dedicated memory, have the developers of those games get with the times and update their games.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020962/graphics.html

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
Jezorek
Beginner

Developers of that programmes get with times and their recent version of their programmes are optimized for recent technology.

But I am using older versions. Why I will buy new version of Photoshop and Corel when the older veriosn is enought for me still?

Why did you cancel the feature which works well and a lot of people used it?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I did not cancel anything, for I am not Intel.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You are complaining about something that is a bug in those games. They had no business completely refusing to run if they cannot see a certain amount of VRAM. Get the developers to release a bug fix. That's the right answer! Why should the graphics drivers have to provide workarounds for game bugs like this? That's the wrong answer!

People were using Registry-based workarounds to make up for these game bugs. Well, Microsoft introduced the DCH driver model and that model does not allow drivers to access the registry. Yes, there are certainly ways you can get around this, but this goes against the spirit of the reason behind why Microsoft introduced this rules. Sure, let's go back to that model where all the BSODs were occurring; that's what we should do - NOT!

One last thing - anyone who says the game performs worse because of low VRAM doesn't know what he is talking about. This is NOT the cause of low performance.

...S

0 Kudos
Jezorek
Beginner

You know well that most of app producers will not make patches for old versions of their apps. If any problem they say that version is "obsolete" and "buy new version".

When you did a mistake in Skylake CPUs, when the performance lowers 40% of after win-patch, you did not send new CPU to all users who buy it too.

I have supposed that you will not re-open the regedit feature. I wanted to try it at least.

Now I have to buy a low-end 2GB videocard for to achieve higher number of "dedicated VRAM". But it is a pitty that it is possible to reach the same effect by one to two lines in Regedit...

If any possibillity exist, you can write it me to jezorek@seznam.cz. I will not public it further.

I could try to downgrade Intel driver. But windows upgrade it again for while.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Look, I am not going to argue this with you. That the capability was removed from the APIs by Microsoft is a fact. That Intel's compliant drivers cannot access the registry as they did previously is a fact. Yes, it's true that there are ways intel could work around this, but Intel is having a tough enough time getting their drivers to run well that they do not need to be wasting valuable resources implementing workarounds for broken games. Do not wait for this capability to come back; it isn't going to happen.

...S

0 Kudos
Jezorek
Beginner
0 Kudos