Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Major problems with Intel UHD 630

Andrew5
Beginner

I have dual monitors, HDMI and DVi.

For about the last week I've had a very annoying problem, when I wake the 2 screens I find my taskbar has shifted over to my 2nd monitor, and I can't get anything to work.

I end up having to Ctrl+Alt+Del and Sign Out, then back in again.

I've tried the latest driver, and rolling back to the current Windows Update driver.

Hardware details pic attached.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Andrew5
Beginner

When it's in this state if I right click on the desktop and select "Display Settings" nothing happens for about 20 seconds then I get an error:

ms-setting:display

This file does not have an app associated...

The most I can do is maximise and minimise open apps, nothing else, so use the Task Manager to sign out and reset everything.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Andrew5

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this behavior further, could you please provide the following information?

1- Did this configuration (system + HDMI® display + DVI display) word fine before? If yes, was there any recent change related to the point when the issue started?

2- Could you please provide a video or some pictures showing this behavior?

3- Is the issue the same if you test only one display at a time or if you swap out the displays testing "other video ports" on the computer?

4- Are you using a straight-through connection (e.g. HDMI-to-HDMI, DVI-to-DVI) with a single cable for each display? Or are you using any type of video adapters, converters, or dockings? Please provide details.

5- With both displays connected to the motherboard, please provide a Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the link.

6- Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Andrew5
Beginner

1. The PC is about 6 months old. I've had issues from day 1:

a) When the monitors wake all apps from the secondary monitor have shifted to the primary.

b) The Hdmi display audio kept stopping, I'd have to reboot once or twice to get it back. I gave up trying to fix this and plugged speakers in.

These 2 Viewsonic monitors were connected the same way for a few months without this taskbar issue. Not aware of any changes before the issue other than standard Windows updates.

2. The secondary monitor appears black, no background pic, no apps. But the main taskbar has shifted over to it. Clicking on the secondary monitor does nothing, I can't open the start menu with mouse or keys. I have to Ctlr+Alt+Del to get at an option to Sign Out or reboot.

3.  The issue is specifically related to the secondary display (which I need) so have not tried with just one. I will see if I can find another cable, e.g. display port, and try a different cable combo.

4. Yes, no adapters or converters.

5. Attached

6. Attached.

The problem appears to be triggered after waking the screens after they've been switched off by the power options settings. I've gone through all the Windows settings and BIOS settings I can find to disable any smart power saving features. This is a PC, no battery, so I'm worried about saving the battery. I just wont the screens to switch off after 30 mins of no activity.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Andrew5

Thank you for your response.

Based on the Intel® SSU report, we noticed the system is running graphics driver version 27.20.100.8280 (which seems to be the latest customized driver provided by the motherboard manufacturer Asus*).

For testing purposes and in case you haven't tried yet, please perform a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows® 10 testing wit the latest Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Generic Driver, version 27.20.100.9079

If the issue persists, please provide a new full Intel® SSU report following the steps below (it seems we just received the short version of the report):

• Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
Andrew5
Beginner

Hi,

I have already tried version 9079 without any luck, however I did not follow the "Clean Installation" instructions, so I've just gone through that process now and will see if that helps.

I've attached the full detail export from the SSU utility as well (run after the Clean Install).

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Andrew5

Thank you for your response and for the full Intel® SSU report.

We understand that you would try the clean install steps to see if the problem is solved. Were you able to perform this process? Is there any change in the behavior?

Also, please let us know if you were able to try different video cables and provide us with details of the cable types that you try or even images.

Additionally, please confirm what is the monitor model that you are connecting through DVI cable? Is it ViewSonic* VA2445 SERIES or ViewSonic* VX2457

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Andrew5

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Andrew5
Beginner

The primary issue (taskbar shifting monitors and locking up apps) has not totally stopped, however when it happens after I wake the screens I can hit the Windows key 2 or 3 times and the taskbar snaps back to the primary display and everything comes right. So this issue is of little concern or inconvenience anymore.

I'm now re-testing the HDMI Display Audio, which has always played up, hopefully that will stay working rather than constantly dropping in and out.

The 3rd issue, where all the application I keep on my secondary monitor shift back to the primary monitor when the screens power down is still occurring, is this an Intel driver issue or a MS Windows issue?

The Intel Driver & Support Assistant is prompting me to install 27.20.100.9126. Do you recommend I always install the latest Intel driver or wait for it to come through the Windows Update?

0 Kudos
Andrew5
Beginner

My Display Audio is still failing, it works for a few hours... then just stops.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Andrew5

Thank you for your response.

Regarding the primary issue (taskbar shifting monitors and locking up apps) and secondary issue (HDMI Audio) and since you mentioned that the problems occur since the first day that you have the motherboard, this could be related to an operating system (OS) problem or a problem with the motherboard.

You can try the new driver available Version: 27.20.100.9126. However, we recommend performing the Clean Installation driver update process instead of using Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA).

Important: Before installing the new graphics driver, make sure to also uninstall the Intel® HDMI Audio Driver following the steps in this link: Uninstalling the Intel® Display Audio Driver or the Intel® HDMI Audio Driver via the Device Manager Method

It is worth mentioning that this is not a driver issue. We have tested this in our lab using 2 HDMI® displays connected to an Intel® NUC and we could not replicate these behaviors (sleep/wakeup issue and the problem with the taskbar).

Hardware and Software used for the lab:

• Intel® NUC Mini PC NUC7i5DNKPC
  • Intel® HD Graphics 620
  • Graphics drivers 27.20.100.8681 and 27.20.100.9126.
  • Windows 10 Pro version 20H2

Regarding the third issue, this is a known behavior and Intel has concluded that this situation occurs due to an OS design, and the recommendation is to report this issue directly to Microsoft*.

For more details, please review the following link: After Resuming From Sleep All Windows Move to a Different Monitor and Are Resized

Finally, regarding your last question about "always installing the latest Intel® driver", since the driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer (OEM), the recommendation is to use the OEM drivers and to work with your OEM before installing our driver so you don’t lose features or customizations. However, you may always try Intel® generic drivers for testing purposes.

Note:

Installing Intel generic graphics driver will overwrite your OEM customized driver. OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues. The generic Intel driver provides users the latest and greatest feature enhancements and bug fixes that OEMs may not have customized yet to address platform-specific needs. Users can check for matching OEM versions at OEM websites.

If the issue persists after testing with the latest driver 27.20.100.9126, and if you also were able to test with different cables, then our recommendation is to check this further with Microsoft* Support and ASUS* Support. For instance, your system might need a firmware update or require a physical inspection. The problems could be related to a motherboard hardware problem, hence, your OEM may assist you with further assistance and debugging from their side.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Andrew5

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos