Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Memory leak while trying to install Intel Graphics BETA Windows 10 DCH Drivers - 30.0.100.9667

fernandogomez
New Contributor I

Hello.

As you can see on the image, the installer is using 11 GB of RAM, and it's not responding. I can't click on the "Begin Installation" button nor even close the installer. The only way to close it is by killing the process in the Task Manager.

Installer memory leakInstaller memory leak

I've tried to install it in Safe Mode, but also the normal way.

I've test it using 2 different computers with the same result:

* Lenovo Yoga C940 with Intel Iris Plus Graphics running Windows 10 21H2 21390.1000

* Lenovo Legion Y520 with Intel HD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GTX 1050 running Windows 10 21H1 19043.1052.

Regards.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Gabriela_Intel

The driver package for 30.0.100.9684 has been replaced with an updated installer so the issue should be resolved now. To receive the fix, simply download and re-install 100.9684 from the Download Center.

View solution in original post

39 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

fernandogomez, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the laptop in question?

Is it a new laptop?

Was it working fine before with a different driver version?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
fernandogomez
New Contributor I

Hello Albert.

1. As I mention before, this happens in 2 different laptops:

• Lenovo Yoga C940
  • Lenovo Legion Y520

2. No, they are not new.

3. I think so. The problem is not the driver itself, but the installer. I couldn't even test the driver because the installer is broken.

4. It happens every time I run the installer.

5. No, I didn't make any recent hardware/software changes.

6. Well, I use both laptops for work and personal activities.

7. I attach SSU results for both laptops.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Candido
Beginner

Happens to me as well on both my HP laptops (HP EliteBook 840 G3 and ZBook Studio G3). The installer just hangs and the only way to kill it is via the task manager. This also happened on the previous beta driver release just a few weeks ago (.9616).

The only way I was able to install it was using the .zip file and update driver via device manager.

Both my HP notebooks are running Windows 10 21H1 19043.1052.

0 Kudos
Candido
Beginner

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello fernandogomez, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

According to the information showing in the SSU, we can confirm that the current graphic driver version installed is:

Lenovo Yoga C940 / 28.20.100.8322

Lenovo Legion Y520 / 30.0.100.9563

Just to let you know, we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked in Lenovo's website and the graphics driver version they have available is:

Lenovo Yoga C940 / 6.20.100.7463

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-c940-14iil/81q9/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Graphics%20Processing%20Units%20%28GPU%29

Lenovo Legion Y520 / 22.20.16.4836.b

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/legion-series/legion-y520-15ikbn/80wk/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Graphics%20Processing%20Units%20%28GPU%29

Please try a clean installation of those drivers following the instructions in the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Now, the Intel® Graphics driver version 30.0.100.9667 is generic, which means sit might or might not work with your platform, besides the fact that is a Beta version release for testing purposes, is there any particular reason why you need to install that driver version?

As an option, for testing purposes, you can also try a clean installation this time of Intel® Generic Graphics driver version 27.20.100.9466, which is the latest non-Beta version:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30381/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

We also recommend to get in contact directly with Lenovo to verify the latest BIOS is currently installed or to gather the instructions on how to do that to make sure the BIOS is up to date:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Candido, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

You can also follow the instructions above, try to install the driver provided by the manufacturer of your computer or Intel® Genric GRaphics driver version 27.20.100.9466:

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
fernandogomez
New Contributor I

Hi Albert.

Is it difficult to understand that the problem is not the driver, but with the INSTALLER? I can't even test the new driver because I CAN'T INSTALL IT.

Besides, I thought this forum was for sharing problems with the community with the purpose of getting help. Not for replying that I'm wrong using Beta drivers.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you followed the clean installation instructions using this driver package? If not, do so.

...S

0 Kudos
fernandogomez
New Contributor I

Hi Scott.

I've tried the clean installation instructions with no luck. The installer just hangs, and starts to fill all the available RAM. The only way to close it is by killing the process using the Task Manager.

fernandogomez_0-1623441342646.png

Thank you.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In my case, I didn't see any memory leakage issues. The package ran fine but eventually said that the installation had failed. After checking in Device Manager, the driver is there and seems to be working. Another issue I found is that there are two instances of the Intel HD Audio driver, which seems odd. There are certainly things that need to be looked at by Intel (@Alberto_R_Intel, balls in your court).

Regarding your earlier comment, you are correct that this is a Community and discussions involving or not involving Intel can certainly take place. I think that Alberto was simply (but perhaps not simply enough) trying to say that, if the Beta doesn't work for you, you should revert to the last production driver.

Hope this helps,

...S

n_scott_pearson
Super User

Here's the error display:

2021-06-11.png

I have also attached the log file.

...S

0 Kudos
fernandogomez
New Contributor I

Hi Scott.

Thank you so much for your response.

I tried something else: I also removed all the Intel Display Audio drivers from my computer, and use the ZIP file to run the driver in silent mode. And it worked!

I also needed to use the -b flag to reboot the computer because the installer keeps running in the background even after both drivers are installed, making the memory leakage to happen.

After rebooting, both drivers are installed (I think successfully) and of course the installer process is gone.

fernandogomez_1-1623444571594.png

I've tested this using my Lenovo Yoga C940.

With my earlier comment I wasn't meant to be rude. Sometimes it feels very frustrating to receive a response that seems "generic" even after making an effort to explain the problem the best way you can.

Again, thank you so much for your response.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Intel's ICS agents are handling many hundreds of issues every day. Their answers for most issues are necessarily going to initially be of the cookie-cutter variety. Don't let it bother you. They will delve deeper into issues as the case requires (but whining does work too; just keep it civil).     ;^)

...S

fernandogomez
New Contributor I

You are right. Thank you again for your help 🙂 And I hope they delve deeper into this issue.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

fernandogomez, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those updates and results.

"Is it difficult to understand that the problem is not the driver, but with the installer? I can't even test the new driver because I can't install it."

We completely understand the issue, the reason why we recommend to install the graphics driver version provided by the manufacturer of your computer is because that is the proper driver for your system that contains all the customizations advertised by Levovo. The Intel® generic graphics driver does not have those customizations and some of the features and functions of the laptop notified by Lenovo might not work correctly or will not work at all.

Then also, by installing the OEM driver and confirming that it works, we can rule out a possible problem with the system itself and focus on the functionality of our graphics driver.

"Besides, I thought this forum was for sharing problems with the community with the purpose of getting help. Not for replying that I'm wrong using Beta drivers."

Yes, that is exactly what the Intel® forums are about, "for sharing problems with the community with the purpose of getting help", the Beta driver is released for testing purposes, it means the drivers are in the testing stage of development, and although finished and applicable, they may not be perfect, it is considered a non-release driver. That is mainly why we suggest to install a different driver version, without implying that you were wrong in using that driver but instead trying to provide a suggestion to try to fix this problem, for your benefit and for the most optimal functionality of your platform.

"I tried something else: I also removed all the Intel Display Audio drivers from my computer, and use the ZIP file to run the driver in silent mode. And it worked!", 

Perfect, it is great to know it worked that way, that was going to be our next recommendation once we confirm the OEM driver worked or not, to use the other options for driver installation that the Intel® Generic Graphics driver has. Still, all the options to install the driver should work with no problems, that is why we will continue working on this matter.

"(@Alberto_R_Intel, balls in your court)". Yes, based on the reports and the results you both provided we will do further research on this matter in order to try to fix this issue and to confirm if in fact there is a problem with the driver installer and to look for a possible solution as well, as soon as I get any updates on this subject I will post all the details on this thread.

@n_scott_pearson , Thank you very much for your comments, really appreciate it.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Fernando Gomez, I just received an update on this matter.

After trying to reproduce the issue in our Intel® lab, we installed the BETA driver and we were unable to replicate the issue during the installation, neither we have the memory leak problem you are reporting.

So, what we recommend at this point will be a full clean installation of the drivers, before using the BETA version, back to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver, and then install the BETA version, once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
fernandogomez
New Contributor I

Hello Albert.

I tried full clean installation like a week ago. I shared with you that it worked using the ZIP installer, and only by running the installer in silent mode and also adding the -b flag to reboot the computer automatically, because the installer kept running in the background.

But I faced another problem after that: Windows Update installed other version of the driver automatically after rebooting the computer. So I gave up, and ended installing version 28.20.100.8322.

I'm interested in using this BETA versions because I am using WSL 2 GUI capabilities.

Few days ago, Windows Update updated my GFX driver to version 30.0.100.9670. And that's the version I'm using right now. It has WDDM 3.0 capabilities, and I think it means that it is compatible with WSL 2 GUI capabilities because I can use this feature with no problem.

fernandogomez_0-1624646564811.png

In conclusion, I gave up trying to install version 30.0.100.9667 and instead I'm using version 30.0.100.9670.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Faeronis
New Contributor I

To prevent Windows Update installation of outdated drivers I use Microsoft tool to block updates

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

The way I do:

1) Pause updates in Windows Update pane

2) Install Intel driver from .zip with auto reboot

3) Run wushowhide.diagcab

4) Hide Microsoft version of driver

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello fernandogomez, You are very welcome, thank you very much for letting us know those results and the picture.

We are sorry to hear the issue persists, it is really strange since we tested the driver using the .exe and the zip files and there were no problems at all with the installation or after the installation process.

Even though you mentioned, "I gave up trying to install version 30.0.100.9667 and instead I'm using version 30.0.100.9670.", just to let you know, the official release of driver version 30.0.100.9667 will be any time soon, it will be available on our website, probably you will be able to install that version with no problems, I will let you know when the driver becomes available in the case you want to test it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/197532/Intel-Iris-Plus-Graphics

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
fernandogomez
New Contributor I

Hi Albert.

Thank you so much. I'll wait then to the official release of the driver to test it again.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi fernandogomez, Thank you very much for your response.

Perfect, I will let you know once the driver becomes officially release for you to test it.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos