Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Migrated OS from old machine. Intel graphics driver won't install--it says 'unsupported hardware', although it's the driver the website suggests. Everything else is working fine, and I have been able to install all the other drivers.

emoon1
Novice

The old machine had a 5775c processor. I've done so many dozens of tweaks to this OS, and it is working just the way I want for my very specific needs. Windows is completely updated, and all other drivers have installed correctly. I am attaching the log file. I'm thinking there's just a registry setting or something that makes the installer think it's still on the old machine ???

0 Kudos
1 Solution
emoon1
Novice

Did the windows upgrade, and the graphics driver seemed to install with it. So the error is a misnomer. It's not the processor, but the version of windows that is not supported. I had no idea you could run an old, but still updated, version of windows 10.

So I guess I've answered my question. Al's question was actually just what I needed to send the search in the right direction, so thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What processor model number is in the new machine?

What version of Windows 10? 1903?

What is the model number of your device? Laptop or desktop?

Doc

0 Kudos
emoon1
Novice

I've actually tried this with 2 machines, the first an 8700k desktop build, the second a dell laptop with an 8565u. Exactly the same error in either case. I'm not sure how to tell which version of windows it is, but it is fully updated, as of yesterday. Are there different versions of a fully updated windows 10? It is win 10 professional....

0 Kudos
emoon1
Novice

I should note that installing the intel driver via the dell support page for this computer also fails with the same error, so it's not that there is a custom version of the driver, or if it is, that's not the issue.

0 Kudos
emoon1
Novice

Okay, going back to the dell site, all the intel drivers say NEEDS RESTART next to them, when the support assist app looks for drivers. But I have restarted three times now, with no effect. So what ever the problem with the intel installer, it is not unique to the video driver. The chipset driver has the same problem. It's not recognizing the chipset on the actual machine, but still getting that info from the OS somehow.

0 Kudos
emoon1
Novice

Dug around, and figured out how to assess my windows version.

it says my version is 14393. Is there no way to update this? I have fully updated the computer as of yesterday... or that's what windows update tells me.

0 Kudos
emoon1
Novice

Okay, it is looking like the 1607->1903 update requires a special upgrade installation process? I'm looking into that... all of my windows updates are for 1607, and nothing higher than that... so that might be the issue then.

0 Kudos
emoon1
Novice

Did the windows upgrade, and the graphics driver seemed to install with it. So the error is a misnomer. It's not the processor, but the version of windows that is not supported. I had no idea you could run an old, but still updated, version of windows 10.

So I guess I've answered my question. Al's question was actually just what I needed to send the search in the right direction, so thanks!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Yep, you were too far behind in windows. Glad you have it working.

Doc

0 Kudos