Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20596 Discussions

Multiple monitor issue using Intel UHD 630

brma
Beginner

Dear ladies and gentlemen,

I do have the following issue with connecting multplie displays to my laptop. Before going into details, please let me highlight, that the setting described worked successfully until yesterday morning!

My laptop is a XMG Schenker N850EK running on Windows 11 having a built-in Intel UHD 630 and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics adapter. There are three external ports to connect displays:

1. 1xMini-DP (internally connected to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti)
  2. 1xMini-DP (internally connected to the UHD 630) and
  3. 1xHDMI (internally connected to the UHD 630 as well).

I'd like to connect (and already had) three monitors in addition to the internal display:

1. Samsung U28D590D at a resolution of 3840x2160@60Hz (connected to Mini-DP of NVIDIA)
  2. Samsung U28E590D at a resolution of 3840x2160@60Hz (connected to Mini-DP of Intel UHD 630)
  3. BenQ E2200HD at a resolution of 1920x1080@60Hz (connected to HDMI of Intel UHD 630 via adapter from HDMI to VGA)

As outlined at the very beginning until yesterday morning this setting worked. I disconnected all three displays while the laptop was up and running. When trying to re-connect them some time later, the 4k display connected to the Mini-DP of the Intel UHD 630 is not recognized by Windows anymore. The 4k display connected to the Mini-DP of NVIDIA and the HDMI display connected to Intel UHD 630 are working as expected.

What I did already to resolve the issue:

1. Updating all drivers from Intel and NVIDIA (for more details on my HW and SW-settings please find the detailed Intel System Report attached as pdf)
  2. Connecting the displays in different order/re-starting the laptop with all displays connected - regardless which arrangement - no success
  3. Going through similar issues in the support-section
  4. To make sure, each of the 4k displays and also the connectors are working I tried connecting each of them to the NVIDIA Mini-DP seperately - each of them works at the NVIDIA DP-port without any issues. That's why I think that there is no issue with the Samsung displays
  5. To test if the Mini-DP-port connected to the Intel UHD 630 is working I connected the BenQ-display with a DP-to-VGA adapter and it works as well! That's why I think that the Mini-DP-port of the Intel UHD 630 is fine as well!

An observation that might be of interest is, that if I connect one of the 4k-displays to the DP-port of the Intel UHD 630, the message "checking signal" on the monitor disappears immediatelly - in my opinion it shows that there must be some communication between the Intel UHD 630 and the display but for whatever reason the synchronization/recognition does not work.

Help on this is highly appreciated as I need both 4k-displays for business urgently!

If there is anything unclear or I left questions open please don't hesitate contacting me!
Many thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi brma, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

According to the information shown in the SSU document, we can confirm that the graphics driver version currently installed in your system is 30.0.101.1069, which is provided by Intel®. Keep in mind that the Intel® graphics drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your specific platform. 

The thing about this scenario is that the Intel® Core™ i5-8300H processor that your laptop has, supports up to 3 displays, counting the internal display of the laptop, as you can confirm in the link below under the title "Processor Graphics", "# of Displays Supported: 3":

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134876/intel-core-i58300h-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-00-ghz.html

We always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform. Based on the fact that you mentioned that this configuration was working fine before, I looked for the drivers for your N8xEJEK computer but I was not able to find the official website for "Notebook", which is the manufacturer of your computer.

It is important to note that when you are using a mobile device, everything is customized by the manufacturer of it, they can disable/enable features and functions of the machine as well as the BIOS settings. Sometimes an update might get installed that will make for the computer to lose some of the capabilities it used to have, like in this case a 4 display configuration.

So, what we recommend to do next, in this case, will be to get in contact directly with "Notebook" support, to report this scenario, to confirm which is the graphics driver version provided by them to install it, and to make sure the latest BIOS version is currently installed in your device. Also, to verify if they can replicate the issue using the same exact computer you are working with, to check if there is a fix for it and for further assistance on this matter, they will also be able to confirm if the computer actually supports a 4 display configuration since based on the processor's specifications it only supports 3. I looked for the official support website and contact information for "Notebook" support so I can share the link but also I was not able to find it.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
brma
Beginner

Update: I just tested to connect the Mini-DP (internally connected to the UHD 630) to the Samsung U28E590D with a Mini-DP to HDMI converter. In this case windows recognizes the monitor but has naturally a maximum display resolution of 1920x1080.

To me, this means both - the display and the Mini-DP port - should be fine from a technical point of view! Right?

However - it still leaves the problem open, why the connection of the Mini-DP to DisplayPort at the Samsung U28E590D does not work anymore, altough it did until 2 days ago. And as it is the only possibility to have the Samsung U28E590D display 4k, I definitely need it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

brma, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new laptop?

When did you purchase it?

Is there any particular reason why you disconnected the displays while the laptop was running?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes besides disconnecting the 3 displays that might cause this issue?

Which specific Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
brma
Beginner

Dear Albert,

thank you for the reply! Please find the answers to your questions below:

1. Is this a new laptop? When did you purchase it?
    I purchased the laptop in June 2018 - however I did connect the external displays in June this year (2021) for the first time

2. Is there any particular reason why you disconnected the displays while the laptop was running?
    No. The reason was, that I am in my Home-Office at the very moment and wanted to move to another room for noise-reasons. As I was in a call at the very moment where I needed the laptop, I didn't want to shut it down
  3. Did you make any recent hardware/software changes besides disconnecting the 3 displays that might cause this issue?
    No. AFTER the issue occurred, I updated all graphics-related drivers for the Intel UHD 630
  4. Which specific Windows* version are you using?
    According to the system-info of windows:

Edition Windows 11 Pro
    Version 21H2
    Intalled at ‎09.‎10.‎2021
    Build 22000.348
    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.348.0
  5. Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?
    It happened in my home-office. As I am self-employed, this is kind of my second office.
  6. SSU-Report
    Please find it attached in the file called SSUReport.txt

Thanks a lot for your support!

Regards, Markus

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi brma, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

According to the information shown in the SSU document, we can confirm that the graphics driver version currently installed in your system is 30.0.101.1069, which is provided by Intel®. Keep in mind that the Intel® graphics drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your specific platform. 

The thing about this scenario is that the Intel® Core™ i5-8300H processor that your laptop has, supports up to 3 displays, counting the internal display of the laptop, as you can confirm in the link below under the title "Processor Graphics", "# of Displays Supported: 3":

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134876/intel-core-i58300h-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-00-ghz.html

We always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform. Based on the fact that you mentioned that this configuration was working fine before, I looked for the drivers for your N8xEJEK computer but I was not able to find the official website for "Notebook", which is the manufacturer of your computer.

It is important to note that when you are using a mobile device, everything is customized by the manufacturer of it, they can disable/enable features and functions of the machine as well as the BIOS settings. Sometimes an update might get installed that will make for the computer to lose some of the capabilities it used to have, like in this case a 4 display configuration.

So, what we recommend to do next, in this case, will be to get in contact directly with "Notebook" support, to report this scenario, to confirm which is the graphics driver version provided by them to install it, and to make sure the latest BIOS version is currently installed in your device. Also, to verify if they can replicate the issue using the same exact computer you are working with, to check if there is a fix for it and for further assistance on this matter, they will also be able to confirm if the computer actually supports a 4 display configuration since based on the processor's specifications it only supports 3. I looked for the official support website and contact information for "Notebook" support so I can share the link but also I was not able to find it.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
brma
Beginner

Dear Albert,

thank you for your feedback. As mentioned in my initial post, the laptop is a XMG Schenker N850EK.

Having the latest drivers installed from their website was my starting point.

However - thanks for your efforts spent. I'll give it another try with the vendor.

Regards, Markus

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

brma, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those details.

Yes, I looked for the drivers for the XMG Schenker N850EK, I found the download page but when I enter the model of the computer it says: "Sorry, the page you are looking for has not been found."

https://download.schenker-tech.de/?s=XMG+Schenker+N850EK

"Having the latest drivers installed from their website was my starting point", perfect, those should be the proper drivers for your system, customized, tested, and validated by the manufacturer of the laptop. 

"However - thanks for your efforts spent. I'll give it another try with the vendor.", You are very welcome. Yes, that will be the next thing to do in this scenario, they should be able to further assist you with this matter.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos