Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

My older games have the right side of screen cut

MHlup
Beginner

Hi,

Im having a problem on my LENOVO MIIX 320-10ICR with atom x5-Z8350, right side of the screen is missing when play any of the older games such as Diablo 2, HoMM etc, is there a fix, ive seen ppl asking similar questions but haven't seen a fix or a solution, pls help im desperate.

Tnx

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello kompich,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

I understand that the right side of the screen is missing when playing games on your LENOVO MIIX 320-10ICR. I would like to assist you with this.

In order to troubleshoot this issue, I would like to get more information about your system and the games.

Please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
MHlup
Beginner

games are:

Diablo 2, Diablo 1, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Heroes of Might and Magic 4

Heres the scan:

# SSU Scan Information

Scan Info:

Version:"2.5.0.12"

Date:"08.14.2018"

Time:"00:00:45.7010780"

# Scanned Hardware

Computer:

BaseBoard Manufacturer:"LENOVO"

BIOS Mode:"UEFI"

BIOS Version/Date:"LENOVO 5HCN29WW , 06/28/2017"

CD or DVD:"DiscSoft Virtual SCSI CdRom Device"

Embedded Controller Version:"1.29"

Platform Role:"Mobile"

Processor:"Intel(R) Atom(TM) x5-Z8350 CPU @ 1.44GHz , GenuineIntel"

Secure Boot State:"On"

SMBIOS Version:"2.8"

Sound Card:"Intel SST Audio Device (WDM)"

System Manufacturer:"LENOVO"

System Model:"80XF"

System SKU:"LENOVO_MT_80XF_BU_idea_FM_Lenovo MIIX 320-10ICR"

System Type:"x64-based PC"

- "Display"

Intel ® Graphics Driver Version:"1.6.35.0"

- "Intel(R) HD Graphics"

Adapter Compatibility:"Intel Corporation"

Adapter DAC Type:"Internal"

Adapter RAM:"1,00 GB"

Availability:"Running or Full Power"

Bits Per Pixel:"32"

- "Caption":"Intel(R) HD Graphics"

Link:" http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?keyword=HD+Graphics"

CoInstallers:"igfxCoIn_v4352.dll, CoDeviceInstall"

Color Table Entries:"4294967296"

Dedicated Video Memory:"Not Available"

Driver:"igdkmd64lp.sys"

Driver Date:"12.15.2015 01:00"

Driver Path:"C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\igdkmd64lp.sys"

Driver Provider:"Intel Corporation"

Driver Version:"20.19.15.4352"

INF:"oem6.inf"

INF Section:"iCHVM_w10"

Install Date:"Not Available"

Installed Drivers:"igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd12umd64.dll"

Last Error Code:"Not Available"

Last Error Code Description:"Not Available"

Last Reset:"Not Available"

Manufacturer:"Intel Corporation"

Microsoft DirectX* Version:"11.X"

Monochrome:"No"

Number of Colors:"4294967296"

Number of Video Pages:"Not Available"

PNP Device ID:"PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_22B0&SUBSYS_38E317AA&REV_36\3&11583659&1&10"

Power Management Capabilities:"Not Available"

Power Management Supported:"Not Available"

Refresh Rate - Current:"60 Hz"

Refresh Rate - Maximum:"60 Hz"

Refresh Rate - Minimum:"60 Hz"

Resolution:"1200 X 1920"

Scan Mode:"Noninterlaced"

Service Name:"igfxLP"

Video Architecture:"VGA"

Video Memory:"Unknown"

Video Processor:"Intel(R) HD Graphics"

- "Memory"

Physical Memory (Available):"1,05 GB"

Physical Memory (Installed):"4 GB"

Physical Memory (Total):"3,87 GB"

- "BANK 0"

Capacity:"4 GB"

Channel:"ChannelA-DIMM0"

Configured Clock Speed:"1600 MHz"

Configured Voltage:"0 millivolts"

Data Width:"16 bits"

Form Factor:"DIMM"

Interleave Position:"First position"

Manufacturer:"0000"

Maximum Voltage:"Not Available"

Memory Type:"DDR3"

Minimum Voltage:"Not Available"

Part Number:"Not Available"

Serial Number:"00000000"

Type:"Synchronous"

- "Motherboard"

BIOS:"5HCN29WW, LENOVO - 1"

Caption:"Motherboard"

Chipset:"Not Available"

Date:"06.28.2017 02:00"

Install Date:"Not Available"

Last Error Code:"Not Available"

Last Error Code Description:"Not Available"

Manufacturer:"LENOVO"

Model:"Not Available"

Part Number:"Not Available"

PNP Device ID:"Not Available"

Power Management Capabilities:"Not Available"

Power Management Supported:"Not Available"

Product:"LNVNB161216"

Serial Number:"P201BR96"

Version:"SDK0J91189WIN"

- "Networking"

Intel ® Network Connections Install Options:"Not Available"

Intel ® Network Connections Version:"Not Available"

Intel ® PROSet/Wireless Software Version:"Not Available"

- "Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)"

Caption:"Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kompich,

Thank you for your response.

As you already know, playing games such as Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 in Windows* 10 can result in several issues including scaling problems. This is most likely a compatibility issue with the current operating system you are using. In this case, you can try the following workarounds and test the performance of the games. Keep in mind that these are just recommendations you can try:

1. You can run the game in compatibility mode for another operating system. You can do this from the game/application properties > Compatibility > Compatibility mode.

2. You may change the high DPI settings for specific games/applications in Windows* 10.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
MHlup
Beginner

Yes, i tried almost anything thinkable, and ive been around for sometime, since Dos. tried compatibility modes for all older win versions. DPI settings as well. along with color and other settings. It doesnt make sense, game works just fine, minus the 1/4th of the right side of the screen being black, so game basically works, but i cant actually play it since i need the right side of the screen too lol, doesnt seem like its a compatibility issue with windows. i managed to make heroes 4 work in windowed mode, but game works extremely slow in that mode, which again is real weird since specs of the tablet are ridiculously higher then older PC of the age. Problem lays somewhere in full screen mode and windows or whatever moving the imaginary full screen window to the right or smtng like that. I was hoping there was a solution or a fix of some sorts for this. Ah well.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kompich,

Thank you for your response.

Some of these games were designed to run at a resolution of 800x600. In this case, you can also try switching your screen resolution to this one on the Control Panel for Intel® Graphics and select any Scale Full Screen option available.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kompich,

I would like to add that we downloaded Heroes of Might and Magic III, followed the steps recommended above, and we did not run into this issue.

If you still need any assistance, we will be glad to assist you .

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
MHlup
Beginner

Yes, i also instaled it on my PC and it works just fine, which wasnt the issue here was it? game has a cut off screen on lenovo windows tablet, thats the issue, i got home now and im giving the tablet to my mom so she can watch turkish soap operas on youtube, and i wont be needing further assistance since theres obviously no solution for this.

Tnx again

M

0 Kudos
SAc
Beginner

Hello,

It's sad to find a post like this with no solution, breaks my heart because I was really hoping to play those old games in a tablet I just bought with that same Z8350.

The games I have tried so far are:

• Heroes of Might and Magic III (Complete, and latest Horn of the Abyss patch, with HD+ mod and without it) (cut off screen)
  • Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines (cut off screen)
  • Commandos: Beyond The Call Of Duty (cut off screen)
  • Commandos 2: Men of Courage (cut off screen)
  • FTL: Faster Than Light (this works!😀 )
  • Populous: The Beginning (cut off screen, but works in window mode)

In my several tests, I somehow managed to open Commandos:BTCOD in a window (dxwnd), and it kind of worked, but then closed it (did not even play it) and re-opened it, or that was what I tried, because it then throw a DirectX5 error, and have not been able to run it again in window mode, and full screen keeps with the same cut off screen issue.

All those with cut off screen "run" smoothly, and the interface seems to work, even the part that is cut off.

PopulousTB: Using dxwnd I have managed to run it in a window succesfully 😄

I have yet to test in a secondary screen, maybe there is something with small screens (with big resolution) that Windows 10 doesn't do well...

Sorry I didn't not answer the question, just wanted to share my experience, and let you (and others) know that there might be a solution to every game (since they "run" fine, just cut off)

I'll return here if I find solution to more games.

Edit: Managed to run Heroes 3 Complete in a window with dxwnd!!!

0 Kudos
SAc
Beginner

After testing plugging in my tablet to a non high-DPI external display, and games running fine, without dxwnd, in full screen, I can only conclude that there is a bug in how Windows handles [low resolution (or maybe not only low)] full screen old games in high-DPI devices (screens), and that there is not solution (beside running in window mode with dxwnd, and that I'm aware of as of now) to that.

Maybe if there was a way to prevent Windows from knowing that the screen of the device (tablet) is high-DPI, it would work like a non-high-DPI. (I feel tempted to try previous version of windows, like 8, 7, XP, but I probably won't since I managed to run all games in my list using dxwnd)

An article of people with similar problems: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/problem_old_games_in_fullscreen_on_a_high_dpi_display

0 Kudos