Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Need to update my Intel graphics driver, but there are no up to date drivers available from my manufacturer. I have both Intel integrated graphics (HD Graphics 630) and a dedicated GPU (NVIDIA GTX 1050). Is it safe to use generic drivers from Intel?

LSale3
Beginner

I've tried using the Intel Driver & Support Assistant to update my graphics drivers, but I have drivers from my computer manufacturer (Acer) so it won't let me install the generic drivers. There are no up to date drivers available from the manufacturer's website. I need to update my Intel graphics driver to fix a problem with a program, so is it safe to use these generic drivers, and what sort of issues could it cause?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

No, it is not safe as you have dual graphics. The manufacturer, if your acer is a laptop, will have modified/customized the drivers for their hardware and switching between graphics. You should use only the drivers provided by acer.

Now, if you want risk using the intel generic drivers, and presumably the nvidia generic drivers, go ahead. You can force install the Intel driver. The instructions on how to do this are here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics-drivers.html

Now, here are two problems. For the DCH drivers, Intel does not recommend force installing them with the "have disk" method.

Problem two, if you are successful, will not stop Microsoft from doing a driveby and installing an older driver that they think you should have. To solve that, you can easily disable driver updates.

But, look at the environment now. You are running generic drivers, which means you may loose hardware customizations and graphic switching, you have used a procedure which Intel does not recommend, and you have turned off the ability for Microsoft to provided updated drivers for other hardware on your device. It paints a pretty bad picture, eh.

Now, if you have a desktop, maybe the picture looks a little bit better. Do not have both intel and nvidia enabled at the same time, and just use nvidia.

Doc

LSale3
Beginner

Ok, thanks. I won't use generic drivers then! Only problem is that Acer doesn't have any updated drivers (the ones they do have on the website are from 2016). There isn't really anything I can do, is there? My Acer is a laptop.

AlHill
Super User

You could try the generic drivers. Who knows - you might be happy with them. You could also complain to acer, which would likely produce nothing except frustration.

If you want to give it a try, provide the model number of your processor.

Doc

0 Kudos