Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Nvidia display driver crashing my computer

JRD077
Beginner

My complete laptop info is attached below, but basically it started as a blue screen error while playing, along the lines of video tdr failure nvlddmkm sys, and it cast me into an infinite loop of restarting, diagnosing problems, attempting to repair problems or restore previous version of windows, and rinse and repeat. Initially I could not use safe mode or get in any way into the desktop. I tried a fresh install of windows and it got stuck, sending me into the loop of restarting my computer every 5 seconds. Since my backup media was my hard drive, I assumed it was not letting it install and physically disconnected it, letting my SSD work alone, and it finally got a clean install. When booted, it was really slow and like in most forums I checked the drivers, sure enough the Nvidia one had a yellow exclamation point, and tried to update it, and it crashed again. This time it let me launch safe mode and I decided to disable the Nvidia driver and it stopped crashing. I reconnected my HHD, and my external storage, cleaned house on storage to make more space and downloaded the minimum to continue my school work. I later attempted to completely uninstall my Nvidia display driver and do a clean install (Delete registry, etc) and it worked for a little bit (5 minutes) until it crashed again. Currently I have it disabled just to get through midterms but I honestly do not know what to do anymore, open to any suggestions, I backed up my files and have a flash drive with new windows install ready incase it happens again, so send suggestions.  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello JRD077, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

Due to the fact that you are facing problems with the Nvidia* driver with your Lenovo* laptop, I will highly recommend you contacting them directly for further recommendations on this matter.  

Computer Manufacturer Support Websites: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello JRD077,  

I hope the previous information was useful to you. 

We will proceed to close this inquiry from our side as you should report this problem to Nvidia* and/or your laptop manufacturer. 

If you have any additional question, please submit a new thread as this one will no longer be monitored. 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos