Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20943 Discussions

Photoshop freezes Arc A370M

Nightspirit
Novice

I have an  Asus Zenbook Pro 15 Flip OLED with intel CPU i7-12700 and Intel Arc A370M graphics card. When using Photoshop, the app refuses to close. I also cannot export a photo from Adobe Camera Raw to Photoshop when using the masking took in Camera Raw. The image won't open and completely freezes Photoshop. I am using the Drivers from the Asus website as the newer ones from earlier this year made Photoshop crash more often. The drivers released on 3/23/23 don't mention the issue being addressed, and I am reluctant to try the new drivers. I've attached the system support utility file.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Nightspirit

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities. I am sorry that you are experiencing issues when trying to use Photoshop on your system with Intel® Arc™ A370M Graphics. Please let's try the following:

1. Uninstall the current driver using Display Driver Uninstaller. Once uninstalled, reinstall the latest driver provided by your system manufacturer version 30.0.101.1631.
  2. Try using each of the adapters individually:
  • Open Device Manager  
  • Go to display adapters > Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics 
  • Double click on Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics
  • Go to the Driver Tab > Disable Device
  • This will make the app to only use the ARC GPU, and check if the issue persists
  • If the issue persists, reenable the Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics and do the same steps as before but instead of disabling Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics disable the ARC A370M and test using only the Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics.

Also, please share with us a short video showing this issue so we can have a better understanding of it.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Nuttzishere
Beginner
I have the same problem on my ASUS zen book pro 15 flip oled.
Did this resolve your problem?
0 Kudos
Nightspirit
Novice

No it didn't, but the older drivers from the Asus site make it a lot less frequent. The newest drivers I had from February from Intel made Photoshop unusable. I've been reluctant to try the newer drivers because of that. The Arc 370M card is not really a gaming card, but it's great for creators and I wish Intel would work more at trying to make it usable with Adobe programs like Photoshop. I also wish Asus would provide us with drivers that aren't  over a year old.

0 Kudos
Nuttzishere
Beginner

I've found a temporary fix, I just disable the arc graphics driver in the device manager and it transfers over to Iris X graphics so I can use Photoshop without it freezing.

But this is still ridiculous, I bought this laptop for the arc graphics to use Photoshop and it doesn't even work.

0 Kudos
Nightspirit
Novice

That did not work for me. Here is where it's most noticeable. My main workflow uses Adobe Bridge to browse images, then open the one I want to work on in Photoshop. If I choose the mask option in Camera Raw, make adjustments, and click open, that is when it freezes the most. Other than that, Photoshop just usually keeps running after closing it. It does it no matter what GPU I use. The other thing I find strange is that everything seems to work flawlessly in Lightroom Classic. Intel seems more interested in working on gaming for the Arc GPU's than on other software like Photoshop. 

0 Kudos
carbarmo
Novice
I am going through exactly the same thing. A week ago I got the Lenovo Slim 7i Pro, 16GB DDR5 RAM, 1TB SSD,
16'' screen, model 16IAH7, Intel ARC 370M GPU. Honestly it has been a nightmare with Photoshop, seconds
after opening Photoshop it throws me the blue screen with the error in the igdkmdnd64.sys driver.

I updated to the latest driver provided by Intel, did all Windows updates, latest version of Directx,
Visual Redistributable Packages and the problem persisted. I found a solution, disabled the GPU from Photoshop and it worked, but what's the point? I don't have problems with games, I can even play interesting games like Guardians of the Galaxy,
Sniper 3, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but with Photoshop I can't use the dGPU. And yes, I already tried it
with the latest version of Photoshop and the previous ones too. Something interesting is that I also tried a not so successful solution, but it prevents the laptop from
freezing and that is that they gave me an OPENGL file, the opengl32.dll, I pasted this file into the folder
where the Photoshop executable is. With this I can open Photoshop and it doesn't freeze, nor does a blue screen
appear, but certain problems occur such as things like the zoom stops working, I can't enable or disable
layers, but I can save, so I save, close and I open it again, but later it happens again and I must be doing
that. Reviewing the opengl32.dll of my system in Windows/System32 I see that it weighs only 932KB, while the one
they gave me weighs 18535KB. Something is going on with the GPU driver update. Something similar is going with Adobe Dimension, when I open
the open tells me that my system didn't meet minimum requirements, so I just go to the folfer where the executable
is installed and delete the file gpu-snifer.exe (something like that) and after that the app does't test my system
requirements and works.

There is something between Adobe and Intel, it seems that you are not speaking together to bring the best solution
for the customers.

0 Kudos
carbarmo
Novice

UPDATE!!!

I just downloaded the updates that Lenovo offer me in their website for iGPU and dGPU, and now I got few months old drivers but it works. Im using dGPU in Photoshop and dont't freeze. I am gonna test the games.

The iGPU installed version driver is 31. 0.101.3889 and the dGPU installed version driver is 30.0.101.1747.

0 Kudos
Nightspirit
Novice

If Asus would update their drivers that would be awesome. We're stuck with drivers that are over a year old.

0 Kudos
carbarmo
Novice

What happen if you try the oldest drivers Intel brings through the website? Maybe trying with this versions.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/726609/749673/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-whql-windows.html

0 Kudos
hasanakay
Beginner

I have the exact system (Lenovo) and have the exact problem with Arc A370 GPU.  I have been trying multiple drivers released by Intel and Lenovo.  The problem still persists no matter what I did.  I have also filed a bug report about this. Search for "BSOD running ARC A370" intel Support page.   I can't run Photoshop without crashing just for a few minutes.  It is very frustrating.  The Culprit file is "igdkmdnd64.sys"  Here is the specifics of my system.

Computer:
BaseBoard Manufacturer:"LENOVO"
BIOS Mode:"Legacy"
BIOS Version/Date:"LENOVO KMCN19WW , 09/20/2023 12:00 AM"
CD or DVD:"Not Available"
Embedded Controller Version:"1.19"
Platform Role:"Mobile"
Processor:"12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H , GenuineIntel"
Secure Boot State:"On"
SMBIOS Version:"3.3"
Sound Card:"Realtek High Definition Audio(SST)"
System Manufacturer:"LENOVO"
System Model:"82VB"
System SKU:"LENOVO_MT_82VB_BU_idea_FM_Slim 7 16IAH7"
System Type:"x64-based PC"
- "Display"
Intel ® Graphics Driver Version:"Not Available"
- "Intel(R) Arc(TM) A370M Graphics"
Adapter Compatibility:"Intel Corporation"
Adapter DAC Type:"Internal"
Adapter RAM:"1.00 GB"
Availability:"Offline"
Bits Per Pixel:"Not Available"
- "Caption":"Intel(R) Arc(TM) A370M Graphics"
Link:"http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?keyword=Arc+A370M+Graphics"
CoInstallers:"oem144.inf,iDG2DH_w10_DS,Internal,Intel(R) Arc(TM) A370M Graphics Family"
Color Table Entries:"Not Available"
Dedicated Video Memory:"Not Available"
Driver:"igdkmdnd64.sys"
Driver Date:"06/15/2023 03:00 AM"

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Nightspirit

I hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best regards,  

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
Nightspirit
Novice

I have the drivers installed from ASUS. 30.0.101.1325 for the Evo, and 30.0.101.1631 for the Arc 370M. Disabling them separately and running Photoshop does not stop the freezing, and Photoshop stays running even though the window is closed. It appears to do it more frequently when making attempting to make a selection. I will post a video later today.

0 Kudos
saad-g96
Beginner

One possible solution is to update your graphics card driver to the latest version, which may resolve the issue. However, since you mentioned that the latest drivers caused more crashes, it's understandable that you may be reluctant to try them.

Another solution you could try is to update Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw to the latest version, as newer versions may have addressed the compatibility issue. You could also try resetting the preferences in Adobe Photoshop to their default settings to see if that resolves the issue.

Lastly, if none of the above solutions work, you could try reaching out to Asus support or Adobe support for further assistance in resolving the issue. They may be able to provide additional troubleshooting steps or solutions specific to your hardware and software configuration.

0 Kudos
Nightspirit
Novice

Photoshop is up to date and yes, the newer drivers just before the late March updates made Photoshop completely unusable. Asus support is kind of a joke. Adobe hasn't been able to offer much help either. They want to blame the drivers for being over a year old.

0 Kudos
Nuttzishere
Beginner

Asus's fix 

0 Kudos
Nightspirit
Novice

That's their solution for everything. I don't think there is anything wrong with the laptop, except they dumbed down the memory a little. I see no excuse for their latest drivers to be over a year old. 

0 Kudos
Nuttzishere
Beginner
There’s nothing wrong with your laptop, I have had three different ASUS zen books 15 flip oled trying to fix this issue and it still persists.
0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Nightspirit

Did you do the driver installation using Display Driver Uninstaller as advised in my first post? And, also, please share the video of the issue with us so we can check this issue further have a better understanding of the system's behavior.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Nightspirit

I understand that you have tried the latest driver offered by your system manufacturer version 31.0.101.1631. In this case, please let's try the latest driver that we recently released version 31.0.101.4311.

If the issue continues, please share with us a video of the issue, so we can further research this system's behavior.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Nightspirit

Please let us know if you were able to test the driver from my previous post and if the issue still persists share with us the requested information from my previous post as well.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos