Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Poor Chrome and UI performance with Intel UHD 630

DrixlRey
Beginner

I own a Thinkpad X1E2 that has hybrid graphics with a 4K laptop screen. I know for a fact that while using browsers, Chrome, Firefox, new Edge, scrolling is VERY sluggish. Something is off, either low frame rates or the scrolling is skipping. Here are some troubleshooting steps I took

• Latest Intel Drivers from Lenovo and from Intel Website
  • Max power performance
  • Tried on Chrome/Firefox/Chrome Canary/New Edge
  • Old Edge seems to be smooth scrolling, however, after the recent updates, it forced me to install the New Edge so I can't say whether Old Edge is still smooth
  • Under performance monitor the Intel UHD Graphics goes to 40-65% when just scrolling the screen
  • High usage problem does not appear on an external 1080 monitor, which would be using the Nvidia graphics card
  • When switched bios to use dGPU, the lag disappeared

The overarching problem: the Intel HD 630 graphics card (and possibly others) are unable to run Internet Browsers smoothly in 4k

Same problem:

-https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490VAXSA2/poor-windows-10-ui-and-chrome-performance-with-intel-graphics-hd-530?language=en_US

Please help me out!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

DrixlRey, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, we recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform, specially, like in this case, that the computer is working with a dual Graphics configuration.

You mentioned that you already test the driver provided by Lenovo, we can still try a clean installation of it:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html

According to Lenovo's web site, the latest Intel® Graphics driver available for your platform is version, 26.20.100.7529, please install that driver after the clean installation and once you get the chance, please let us know the results:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-extreme-gen-2/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Display%20and%20Video%20Graphics

Any questions, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
DrixlRey
Beginner

Thank you for the reply,

I have used both Lenovo provided Intel Drivers downloaded from Lenovo Vantage 26.20.100.7529, after deleting the drivers completely from my laptop, I've tried that and the newest one. Same problem.

This MUST be an Intel problem, I notice that Desktop Windows Manager goes up to 70% usage, from just scrolling a website. When the same website is using my 1080 monitor, or when Intel GPU is disabled in the BIOS, it's buttery smooth and only runs at 10%. It's very similar to this thread, please continue to help me.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

DrixlRey, Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

Please access the BIOS, disable the Graphics controller from Nvidia and test the laptop, then again, enter the BIOS and this time disable the Intel® Graphis controller and test it one more time, once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Just to let you know, as you mentioned the computer is working with Hybrid Graphics controllers, there could a customization done by the manufacturer of it in reference to the design on the unit that might be causing this behavior so what we recommend is to get in contact directly with them for further technical assistance.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello DrixlRey, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello DrixlRey, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AArya9
Novice

Same issue on uhd 620 on 4k xps 13 9370. Definitely an issue in the intel driver. I also suspect that this may have to do with the ram being in single channel. Since the iGPU uses the system ram it would be linked. Can someone with a uhd 620, 4k display, and dual channel ram check if the issue is present?

0 Kudos