Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Problem with Intel UHD 630 and HEVC playback

cajunspirit
Beginner

So I have an LG 7300 UHD TV and I'm trying to get some HDR content going.

My very old Asus P6T deluxe and Radeon 250 can't seem to play the video, so I imagined my MSI GL63 8RCS would with it's GT 1050.

I've been fighting for hours to enable Windows 10 HDR, but it seems the laptop and TV won't agree it can display HDR, which it can.

Digging deeper, I realised the laptop's HDMI port is being controled by Intel UHD 630 which should also be capable of outputting 4k 24hz movie.

The movie plays on both systems but with washed out colours.

I imagine since my CPU is an I5, the HDMI port is 1.4, however, even my PS4 slim outputs HDR over my HDMI 2.1 ready cables. So what gives?

Do I have to get a Type C to HDMI cable to accomplish this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @cajunspirit

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that you are trying to enable HDR (High Dynamic Range) and the system has an HDMI 1.4 port. When it comes to HDR, it is necessary to check if the motherboard or laptop met the requirements, since the HDR technology is embedded on the integrated graphics controller (iGPU).

There is a set of ingredients required for HDR on Intel® Graphics. For instance, the physical display interface (connector) on the computer that connects it to the HDR display could be HDMI, DisplayPort, mini-DisplayPort or USB Type-C. However, the HDMI port must be HDMI revision 2.0a to support HDR. Using USB Type-C to HDMI or DP adapters will not work unless they are specifically rated to support HDR.

Please review the HDR White Paper, section "3- System Ingredients", pages 7-8 for more details regarding the system requirements to enable/use HDR.

We recommend trying one of the video connectors supported and checking with your computer manufacturer for more details to confirm if the system is HDR capable. 

Also, please keep in mind that Intel does not recommend the use of any kind of adapters. This is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work. The best solution is doing a direct connection with a single cable that has the same connection type in both ends.

For any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello cajunspirit

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post.

Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
cajunspirit
Beginner

Hi all,

Thanks for the help.

Turns out the issue was the video encoding was done with Dolby Vision. HVEC actually shows normally on both systems.

Little disappointed with my laptop though, it really should support HDR colour out of the box.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello cajunspirit

Thank you for your response and for the feedback on how you found out the root cause of the issue. Also, just to make sure you have the proper information, we suggest checking with your computer manufacturer to confirm system specifications and HDR capabilities.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos