Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Queries following the installation of the latest driver for an Intel HD Graphics 4600 adapter

TRuss1
Beginner

I have a PC running 64 bit Windows 7 SP1. The PC has a GIGABYTE motherboard with an integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600 adapter. To avoid any potential incompatibility problems, I always download the driver for the graphics adapter from the GIGABYTE Web site, not from Intel or Microsoft.

When I first purchased the PC, I installed driver 15.31.11.64.3186 (GIGABYTE identifier). A few days ago, I installed the latest driver available on the GIGABYTE Web site, 15.33.19.64.3540. I have the following queries:

• I was surprised to discover that the new driver contains an Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. Is this a piece of function that has been introduced since the 3186 driver, or was it present with the 3186 driver and I didn't know about it?
  • The installation has placed a shortcut to the control panel on the Windows desktop, but I don't like shortcuts to "low level" function on my desktop. Can I just delete the shortcut? I can always access the control panel by right clicking the desktop and selecting "Graphics Properties…".
  • When I click the Intel HD Graphics icon in the Windows system tray, I see 4 items: "Graphics Properties…", "Graphics Options", "Exit tray", and "Intel HD Graphics Control Panel". When I click the last item, nothing happens – the control panel is not displayed. Is this a defect? Can it be corrected manually by any means? If it can't be corrected, I'm inclined to remove the Intel HD Graphics icon from the system tray completely. All the function appears to be available by right clicking the Windows desktop anyway.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Idomeneus,

Let me help you with this.

I first want to thank you for posting these questions here because there are many other customers with this queries and I am sure it will be very helpful.

As you mentioned, the latest driver we have has a Control Panel with a new view but this control panel has been included on the drivers from other older versions. When you install the driver it creates a short cut in the desktop but you can also access it by right clicking on the desktop or from Control Panel so if you would like to delete the short cut you can do it and it will not cause any problem.

I must say that the icon tray for Intel® HD graphics Control Panel provides three options only which are: Graphics Properties, Graphics Options, Exit tray but the last one Intel® HD Graphics Control panel is gray out because is just the name of the icon so it is not an option meaning it is expected and working normally.

I hope this helps.

Kevin M

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Idomeneus,

Let me help you with this.

I first want to thank you for posting these questions here because there are many other customers with this queries and I am sure it will be very helpful.

As you mentioned, the latest driver we have has a Control Panel with a new view but this control panel has been included on the drivers from other older versions. When you install the driver it creates a short cut in the desktop but you can also access it by right clicking on the desktop or from Control Panel so if you would like to delete the short cut you can do it and it will not cause any problem.

I must say that the icon tray for Intel® HD graphics Control Panel provides three options only which are: Graphics Properties, Graphics Options, Exit tray but the last one Intel® HD Graphics Control panel is gray out because is just the name of the icon so it is not an option meaning it is expected and working normally.

I hope this helps.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
TRuss1
Beginner

Thank you for the reply. I think it has just about answered everything. I believe you are saying that, in previous versions of the driver, there was also a Control Panel but, in this version, the Control Panel has a new view.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos