Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20601 Discussions

Quicksync, NOT affected by EUs on GPU?

oihsdf984huis
Beginner

According to link below, intel QuickSync chip sits on the die next to GPU (the "unslice") and has an independent clock domain. Therefore, if my understanding is right, EUs do not affect transcoding performance right? Am i missing something?

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/microarchitectures/gen9#Unslice

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steven_Intel

Hello oihsdf984huis,

Please check the following article: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/quick-sync-video/quick-sync-video-general.html

Intel® Quick Sync Video uses the dedicated media processing capabilities of Intel® Graphics Technology to decode and encode fast, enabling the processor to complete other tasks and improving system responsiveness.

In other words, it runs with the dedicated graphics media, so the performance of the GPU is going to be generally better if the clock speed and number of EUs is higher, but those are not the only factors that determine overall performance, amount of VRAM is important, OS and applications used for encoding/decoding (when talking about QuickSync).

Depending on the requirements or what you are planning to do with video encoding, you could take into consideration check with the app developer of the application that you will use for requirements and performance recommendation, if you are planning to use this feature for video editing or any other purpose.

Please let me know if you still have any doubts, so we can find a better way to explain this.

Regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello oihsdf984huis,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Could you please specify what processor model or Intel graphics are you referring to?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
oihsdf984huis
Beginner

Hi Steven,

im not referring specifically to a processor per se, but the question is about theory. E.g does a iGPU with more execution units, able to achieve better transcoding performance or not? 

Im looking at 11th gen tiger lake processors. And transcoding performance is important to me. I want to know if it’s worth buying a chip with more EUs or not, to achieve more transcoding performance.

I understand that EUs maybe used for applying VPP filters? Anything else?

Since Intel doesn’t seem to benchmark their quicksync chips it makes it hard as a consumer to know what capability I can expect from quicksync and which CPU parameters are associated with better quicksync performance.

thanks!

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

I am currently working on your concern. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Please feel free to reply if you have any concerns.

Regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello oihsdf984huis,

To answer your question:

The performance of the GPU will be generally better if the clock speed and number of EUs is higher, but those are not the only factors that determine the overall performance. The amount of VRAM, operating system and applications used for encoding/decoding (when talking about QuickSync) are important as well.

It is worth mentioning as well other factors that have an impact on the performance of the overall system components/resources like RAM, processor, cooling, SSDs, etc.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
oihsdf984huis
Beginner
Hi Steve,
Thanks for your reply but it didn’t really give the specifics I was hoping for.
It was basically saying that higher specs = potentially better quicksync performance.

For example going back to my aforementioned question to re-iterate further:

“QuickSync chip sits on the die next to GPU (the "unslice") and has an independent clock domain”
Therefore iGPU /CPU clock should be largely irrelevant for most pure quicksync workloads. If I’m wrong, why specifically, does CPU/iGPU clock speed affect quicksync performance as you claim?

It’s my understanding that quicksync is a completely independent chip soldered onto Intel boards. It does 1 job only which is to transcode. It doesn’t even need iGPU for this theoretically?
0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

I appreciate you clarified the information. I am working to get a concrete answer for your concern, as soon as I have an update I will let you know.

Please feel free to reply if you have any concern.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello oihsdf984huis,

Please check the following article: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/quick-sync-video/quick-sync-video-general.html

Intel® Quick Sync Video uses the dedicated media processing capabilities of Intel® Graphics Technology to decode and encode fast, enabling the processor to complete other tasks and improving system responsiveness.

In other words, it runs with the dedicated graphics media, so the performance of the GPU is going to be generally better if the clock speed and number of EUs is higher, but those are not the only factors that determine overall performance, amount of VRAM is important, OS and applications used for encoding/decoding (when talking about QuickSync).

Depending on the requirements or what you are planning to do with video encoding, you could take into consideration check with the app developer of the application that you will use for requirements and performance recommendation, if you are planning to use this feature for video editing or any other purpose.

Please let me know if you still have any doubts, so we can find a better way to explain this.

Regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello oihsdf984huis,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos