Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21286 Discussions

RegEdit method for increasing Dedicated Video Memory not working

VelcroCat
Beginner

Laptop has an intel card with integrated graphics, and 16gb ram. I need to increase the fake "Dedicated Video Memory" from 128 to at least 512 in order to get an application to function properly. However, when I used Registry Editor to change the "Dedicated Segment Size" it had no effect. I tried values of 1024, 512, and 0, and none of them would change the "Dedicated Video Memory" from 128. 
I followed the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel\GMM in Registry Editor (I had to create the GMM key myself as it was missing, so I am wondering if maybe this was the problem?), created a REG_DWORD value named “DedicatedSegmentSize”, but none of the values I entered had any effect upon restart. 
Just wondering what I may have done wrong, and/or how I might get this workaround to function?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello VelcroCat,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I am sorry you are having issues trying to change the dedicated Video Memory. I will be glad to provide some insight about this.

There is no way to preset your VRAM to a specific value, you can only limit the maximum memory that it can take. The Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) does not have a dedicated memory; it uses shared memory that will be allocated automatically depending on various factors. The option to adjust the maximum memory is usually available in the BIOS, but the setting may not be available for all systems.

The setting is typically listed under VRAM or Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT). The settings values can typically be adjusted to 128 MB, 256 MB and maximum DVMT. Setting other values depends on the motherboard manufacturer and the amount of RAM installed on the computer.

For further assistance on this, our best recommendation is to contact the laptop/board manufacturer for more information about the BIOS and the availability of the settings provided in the BIOS.

Contact OEM: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html?tab=system-manufacturers

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would add that, in many implementations, the settings in the BIOS are applicable only while the BIOS is active; they are not passed along to the runtime environment.

...S

0 Kudos