Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21077 Discussions

Request - 10-bit Color Depth USB-C for Graphics Command Center

jm_jank4
Beginner

Hi,

A few years ago this thread (https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Color-Depth-amp-Color-Format-now-available/td-p/1316531/page/2) was constantly updated with news about the added compatibility for color depth, in 2022 the last new was the addition of compatibility via HDMI and that was all. According to Intel they were planning to support from 11th gen. My drivers  and graphics command center are up to date but my laptop is 9gen (dell xps 13 with i7 8665u and intel uh620), and still no setting available to use my 10 bit monitor via usb-c.

I know i can connect directly via hdmi and that way I will have 10 bit output but my laptop only has usb-c/thunderbolt outputs. 

Wish Intel can add this feature finally; i don't see any reason to upgrade my laptop and the color quality is notable on 10 bit.

Hope someone can help with this request. Thanks in advance.

(btw the monitor is an LG, HDR compatible, with my other laptop with nvidia card it can output 10-bit without issue, using or not HDR).

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MUC
Valued Contributor II

In my opinion, this limitation is the most serious on Intel graphics cards. Latest thread:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/INTEL-ARC-A770-16GB-Missing-10Bit-Screen-Configuration-Option/td-p/1479225

I tested the driver 31.0.101.4676 on an Arc A380 two hours ago and there is still no option for setting bit depth without HDR via DisplayPort.

0 Kudos
jm_jank4
Beginner

Hi MUC, thanks for the heads up of the more recent thread about this issue, very interesting read.

I don't want to criticise the work of the developers and surely there are other priorities but after reading the other thread seems like they are ignoring a big issue.

I'm not a developer or TI related, but for me being unable to take advantage of any technology that is already available in the market (in the particular case, the use of advanced color grade of new monitors with any output, specially the more recent trend like usb-c or thunderbolt) because of a software/driver/certification issue sounds pretty bad specially coming from a tech-pioneer company like Intel, and also a waste of money for customers.

My specs are old so my hope to have compatibility for 10 bpc are...a bit low (no pun intended), but reading about the same issue on new tech like Arc-A770 is hard to comprehend!

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

jm_jank4, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We will be more than glad to assist you with this matter. In reference to this scenario, please verify the details shown in the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000094818/graphics.html

Still, I will do further research on this topic to confirm if there are any updates on adding 10-bit Color Depth USB-C for the Intel® Graphics Command Center. As soon as I get any information, I will post all the aspects on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
jm_jank4
Beginner

Hello Albert, thanks for your reply, and please let us know any news that you can get.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Dear jm_jank4,

We sincerely appreciate your patience.

Please be advised that the feature you inquired about is currently in active discussion, and unfortunately, we are unable to provide an estimated timeline at this moment.

Warm regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello jm_jank4

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance otherwise, we will close the thread.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello jm_jank4, Since we have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
jm_jank4
Beginner

Hi Albert, wish we can keep this thread open until we have some news or updated driver? 

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi jm_jank4, Thank you very much for your reply.

In reference to your request about keeping this thread open until we have some news or an updated graphics driver available, I will confirm if that is possible and we can keep it open. As soon as I get a response, I will post the answer on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello jm_jank4, I just received an update on this matter.

After checking your petition, we just wanted to confirm, since there is no specific timeline of when will we have some news or an updated graphics driver available, if you agree with us closing the thread but with the advantage that we will send you an email/message as soon as there are any updates or news related to this subject?

Please let us know if this option works for you.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello jm_jank4

We hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let us know if we can proceed to close the thread.

Best regards,  

Jose B.   

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello jm_jank4, Since we have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos