Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Reset default graphic settings resulting in an endless black screen

Nicolas75
Beginner
Hello
This my first post here so please feel free to ask for more informations, or to tell me if this is not the appropriate place to ask.
My laptop is a Dell XPS 15” 9570, with an i7-8750H.
Yesterday, I opened a what i think is a new or an updated intel software called something like “Graphics Command Center” (I believe, i am not sure about the name but it was an intel soft) which i could change the brightness and others features. I changed the brightness a bit (it was set at 32 or 30 by default), didnt like it and clicked on “reset by default right away”. This was my mistake. Right after, my laptop went black (an artificial black, not a turned off black) and i thought it was normal as sometimes it takes time to switch back to the default settings. It stayed like that an hour, so i forced the shutdown of the laptop to restart it. Since then, right after the BIOS boot, when win10 is launching, i have this artificial black screen only.
I dont know what to do, and what i could do. I have an external ssd but with no save on it. I understand an hard solution could be to reset the laptop with its out of factory settings, but i would like not to lose some personal and work files. I think win10 is perfectly working (the sounds of the processor and all are exactly like before when i start the computer), it is just the display that isn’t working. I tried to reach the safe mode, which is displayed correctly, but do not see any solution in it.
Thanks for reading and hope some will be able to help me.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Elucidate25
Beginner

One thing you can try that's very simple is to attach an external monitor and "see" if that allows you to view the desktop, then access settings and change them.

0 Kudos
Nicolas75
Beginner
Thanks for the quick response. I just did. Unfortunately, I only have a black screen on the monitor, but this time i see the mouse moving (thing i dont see on the main monitor, the laptop’s one). But when i for example right click nothing happens.
0 Kudos
Nicolas75
Beginner
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
Nicolas75
Beginner
I do not have access to the computer except for the bios or the safe mode
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In Safe Mode, completely uninstall the Intel HD Graphics driver package (from Apps and Features app). Then, boot up normally and, once you are running, install the Intel HD Graphics driver package from scratch.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Benjgdc
Beginner
I have the same issue right now. Super frustrating because i have to finish my work. How did you fix it?
0 Kudos
mokki
Beginner

The same thing happened to me today.

To solve it, you first need to connect a 2nd screen with an hdmi cable. Then, if nothing displays on the 2nd screen, press F8 until you have something displayed on the 2nd screen (you need to be in duplicate or 2nd screen only mode).

Once you have that, open the device manager and right click on the intel UHD 630 graphics card to uninstall it. You can then restart your computer, and it should be good. 

0 Kudos