Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Screen randomly flashes like camera flash.

RPare11
Beginner

I have a Dell Inspiron 3583 laptop. It has Intel UHD 620 graphics and Realtek audio. I have installed the latest Intel DCH drivers and have the latest Realtek drivers downloaded from Dell support site.

The whole screen randomly flashes white (just like camera flash). First I assumed it might be a hardware problem. But the screen never flashes when I am on BIOS screen.

After lot of trial and error I found out that if I disable the audio driver, the screen stops flashing.

I am using the latest graphics driver & audio driver. I can't understand if this is audio problem or graphics problem.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

RPare11, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, we recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

Even though you mentioned that you already installed the drivers provided by Dell, I looked in their web site and the latest Realtek audio driver is version 6.0.8777.1, A05:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=grdhh&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-15-3583-laptop

And the latest Graphics driver provided by Dell is version 26.20.100.7463, A02, please install those drivers and let us the results:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=mn56x&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-15-3583-laptop

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
RPare11
Beginner

AlbertR_Intel,

Thank you for your reply.

It seems I was not able to provide all information in my reply. Here it is goes.

Before trying out the DCH drivers directly from Intel, I had updated the system with the latest drivers provided by Dell on their support page. The system already had the realtek driver version 6.0.8777.1 but still I downloaded the driver file from Dell support page, then switched off the internet, next I uninstalled the device (with delete the driver option selected) from Device Manager and then ran the downloaded audio driver file. And Just to be sure, I did the same steps with graphics driver too. I updated to the Dell provided graphics driver version 26.20.100.7463. But the problem would not go away.

It was after this failure, did I try my hand at installing the DCH drivers from Intel. Well the problem still persisted even with the DCH drivers. But one thing I marked during these frustrating efforts, was that the problem would start/magnify mainly when I play video files. So, as a trial, I disabled the audio device for a couple of days. And there was no screen flashing. The moment I enabled the audio device after those 2 days, the problem started. In fact, it was like almost instantaneous. I enabled the audio device and within few minutes of playing a video, the screen started flashing like camera flash.

I don't know whether the problem is with the audio drivers or the graphics driver. One thing that baffles me though with this audio device, is that if I "Uninstall this device", and then run hardware scan, then the system identifies the audio device as "Intel High Definition Audio". If it is a Realtek Audio device, then why is it identified as "Intel"? Once the drivers for audio are installed the device is identified as "Realtek".

BTW, the BIOS mentions the audio device as Realtek ALC 3204.

Any pointer as to what else could I try?

Regards.

Rajen.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

RPare11, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information.

Just to let you know, when you install the Intel® Graphics driver, it also includes and installs an audio driver that for example, if you use an HDMI TV, it will direct the audio thought that HDMI device.

So, for this type of scenario, there might be a conflict when installing the Intel® Graphics driver and the Realtek audio driver.

Which is the audio device that you are connectting to the laptop?

Please provide the Graphics report in order for us to be able to verify further details about your platform, to attach the report, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower left corner.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
RPare11
Beginner

AlbertR_Intel,

Thanks for your reply. I have attached the report.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

RPare11, Thank you very much for providing the Intel® Graphics report.

Just to confirm, what is the audio device that you are connectting to the laptop?

Is it a headset, speakers, AV receiver? Please provide the brand and model of the product.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
RPare11
Beginner

AlbertR_Intel ,

I am not connecting any device to the laptop. I am just using the in-built speakers of the laptop.

Regards,

Rajen.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

RPare11, Thank you very much for clarifying those details.

For testing purposes please follow the steps below:

• Open "Device Manager"
  • Select the option "Sound, video and game controllers"
  • Right-click where it says "Realtek Audio"
  • Choose "Properties"
  • Select the "Driver" tab
  • Choose "Uninstall Device"

Once the Realtek Audio driver was removed, please connect the laptop using the HDMI or DisplayPort to a TV that has build-in speaker, run a video and please let us know if it looks and sounds properly.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
RPare11
Beginner

Albert R.,

I did exactly as you explained and removed the audio device from the laptop. I then attached the laptop with TV with and the video ran properly with both audio & video in good quality.

Regards,

Rajen.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

RPare11, Thank you very much for letting us know those results. 

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the video ran properly with both audio and video in good quality when removing the Realtek driver and connecting the laptop directly to the TV.

What that means also, is that the Intel® UHD Graphics 620 controller and the Intel® Graphics driver are working properly. The screen randomly flashes problem then could be related to the Realtek driver customized by Dell or the laptop itself.

In this case, the best thing to do will be to get in contact with Dell directly for them to confirm which are the proper drivers for your system validated by them and to verify the warranty options on their product in the case there is a hardware problem with the laptop itself:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
RPare11
Beginner

Thank you AlbertR_Intel for your help and guidance. I will contact Dell and resolve this.

Regards,

Rajen.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

RPare11, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

Yes, that will be the best thing to do, to get in contact with Dell directly so they can further assist you.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos