Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Strange screen related issue with HD Graphics 505

gflash
Novice

Hello,

The following happens on my ASUS TP401N notebook PC with HD Graphics 505.

Whenever the screen is switched off, it does not come back when pressing the key or opening the lid - expect when youtube is running. This is not a joke! I can reproduce the following reliably on my notebook:

1) Set "Lid close action" to "Sleep" - Closing and opening the lid reliably puts the device in standby, and back up. Everything good.

2) Set "Lid close action" to "do nothing" - Closing the lid only switches off the screen now. But opening the lid again leaves the screen off - completely black. I can press any key, CTRL+ALT+DEL, the power button; nothing works. Sometimes I can see the capslock LED going off and on when I press it, sometimes not. So I'm not sure if the system crashed or if it is only the screen.

3) Set "Lid close action" to "do nothing" and start any youtube video in MS Edge. When I close the lid, the screen turns off, and I still hear the audio from the video. When I open the lid, the screen turns back on. So with youtube on, no issues! This is what confuses me the most. And this behaviour is reproducable.

Windows/drivers are all up to date, expect Intel graphics drivers which I rolled back to the previous version for testing (but did not change anything). Currently using version 27.20.100.8681.

If anyone has an explanation for this behaviour, I would be really grateful.

Regards,

Gregor

0 Kudos
9 Replies
gflash
Novice

Some more details:

- The screen in question is a touch screen - if that somehow matters

- To recover from the situation described under 2), I have to hard-reset the notebook by pressing the power button for several seconds. 

- I did install the new Intel Windows Store app and played with the settings there, I think this is what caused the issue initially; or one of the driver updates did. I tried to set all settings in the app back to default and removed it, but doesnt help. Installing the driver from the ASUS support site does not work because it's too old ("Operating system not supported" error).

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

gflash, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

Was it working fine before?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes besides installing a new Intel® Windows* Store app?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

gflash
Novice

Hello Alberto,

thanks for your kind reply.

To anwer your questions:

Is this a new computer? ->  No, bought it used.

When did you purchase it? -> February 2021 (as used device)

Was it working fine before? -> Cannot really say, but for me it looks like a software issue (youtube)

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes besides installing a new Intel® Windows* Store app? -> Yes, I added a SSD, and re-installed the operating system from scratch on the new SSD. SSD was working fine before, I have no other issues related to it.

Which Windows* version are you using? Win 10 64bit Home, 20H2

SSU Report attached.

Thanks for your support!

Gregor

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello gflash, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

Just to let you know, we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked in ASUS's web site for the Graphics driver tested and validated by them but for some reason, the drivers are not available as you can confirm here:

https://www.asus.com/us/2-in-1-PCs/ASUS-VivoBook-Flip-14-TP401NA/HelpDesk_Download/

Since the notebook is working with Intel® HD Graphics 505, we can try a clean installation of Intel® Generic Graphics driver version 27.20.100.9168 following the instructions in the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30148/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

We also recommend getting in contact directly with ASUS to gather the instructions on how to do a BIOS update to the latest version of the computer, also to report this scenario, to verify if they have reports from other users about this situation and if there is a fix provided by them:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results of testing driver version 27.20.100.9168 and the BIOS update.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello gflash, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

gflash
Novice

Dear Albert,

sorry for the late reply.

I re-installed the driver you linked according to the description in the other link, and it seems to have worked. I repeated my experiment with the lid closing, and the screen woke up as it should.

I will monitor the behaviour over the next few days to see if it is stable.

Thanks a lot for your swift and competent support!

Gregor

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi gflash, No problem at all, thank you very much for sharing those details.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the problem with the strange screen seems to be fixed and now the computer is working properly. Go ahead and monitor the behavior of it and if more help is needed, please let us know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello gflash, I just wanted to check if you were able to monitor the behavior of the computer and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello gflash, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos