Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Sudden decrease in video playback performance (YouTube 4k stutters)

AOgle
Novice

I have a NUC6i7KYK with the latest version of Windows 10 Home all fully updated. I am using the new Edge on Chrome browser from Microsoft.

Up until this weekend, I could happily stream 4k YouTube videos on my computer with the only issue being the fairly high CPU and GPU usage meant the fan would spin up fairly loudly.

This weekend my computer suddenly dropped Bluetooth connections and Device Manager told me that my in-built Bluetooth device wasn't reporting its ID properly.

The answer to that (after quite a bit of searching online) was to cut all power to the computer, hold the power key for a few seconds to clear any states on the motherboard. When applying power and restarting, the Bluetooth device was found again and has worked since.

However, now, when playing 4k videos, my CPU and GPU use shoot up to very nearly 100% and the video stutters. Leaving the video playing for a few seconds causes the UI to slow down and there to be rendering errors on windows. I have to kill the browser and start again telling it to stay away from the 4k stream.

My device drivers are all up-to-date from the Intel Driver Manager Assistant (I always keep those as up-to-date as I can).

Can anyone suggest what might have gone wrong and whether I can address it?

I can watch 1080p videos, but my TV is 4k and the system is set up to use that. Everything was fine up to this weekend and then it just went wrong.

0 Kudos
39 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not sure that these two issues are related. Try watching these videos on another non-Chromium-based browser and see if the same thing happens. If it doesn't, you could also try in the Chrome browser to see if the issue is common to Chromium-based browsers.

...S

0 Kudos
AOgle
Novice

Ah, one thing I forgot to mention. I tried playing 4k video on my work laptop (Dell Precision M2800) with the Edge Browser and the video was much smoother (the CPU and GPU use shot up hugely, but the video played and the UI reacted as normal.

However, you point is well made. I shall try another browser.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You descriptions are also making me think you might be configured for software (vs. hardware) rendering.

...S

0 Kudos
AOgle
Novice

Your suggestions have been very helpful.

I have the Use Hardware Acceleration Where Available option selected in the Edge on Chrome browser.

Anyway, I installed Firefox and it plays 4k fine. I uninstalled the Edge on Chrome Browser and used the old Edge Browser. It played 4k without issue as well.

I re-installed Edge on Chrome and the stuttering returned.

I have provided feedback to Microsoft to see if they can work out what is going on.

Seems it was all co-incidental.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The other thing to try is the Chrome browser. This will tell us if the problem has anything to do with the Chromium browser core.

...S

0 Kudos
AOgle
Novice

Very interesting. I held my nose and installed Chrome. It stutters too from a fresh install.

I left comment with Google upon uninstalling it.

There seems to be something wrong with whatever underpins Chrome.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Excellent, that tells us that the problem is specific to the Chromium-based browsers and that the non-Chromium-based browsers do not exhibit the issue. That's the important symptom we need.

Now we need Intel Customer Support to take this issue to the graphics team and see what they have to say...

..S

0 Kudos
Max44
Beginner

Follow the troubleshooting steps below to fix the problem.

• Update Intel® HD Graphics Driver. If driver is DCH, please follow the steps below:

1. Download the latest DCH driver from the Download Center and save it on the computer.
  2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update.
  3. Uninstall the DCH driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel Programs and Features
  4. Restart the computer
  5. Confirm in Device Manager Video Adapters the controller is listed as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. if not, repeat steps 2 through 4.
  6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘ntel HD Graphics or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under Programs and Features for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager:
  7. Right-click Intel HD Graphics or similar
  8. Select Uninstall Device
  9. In pop-up window check Delete the driver software for this device
  10. Click Uninstall
  11. Restart.(Repeat steps 2-4 until the device gets listed as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter)
  12. Install the DCH driver that was downloaded on step 1.
  13. Restart the computer.
  14. Reconnect to the Internet.
  15. Download the Intel Graphics Control Panel from the Microsoft Store

• You may also try with the Graphics driver provided by your computer manufacturer, please refer to Original Equipment Manufacturers
  • Update Operating System
  • Test different video cable

If still these steps doesn't solve your problems try using different live streaming option like MS Stream. It might help you out.

Regards,

Max

0 Kudos
AOgle
Novice

OK, I'll try these but with the following caveats:

• My graphics drivers are not DCH and there don't seem to be DCH drivers for the NUC6i7KYK. I had tried installing DCH drivers, some months ago, and things did not go well.
  • According to the Intel site, the latest graphics drivers are these non-DCH ones from last July: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28973/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-NUC6i7KYK?product=89187
  • Intel Driver & Support Assistant keeps my drivers up-to-date with the latest from Intel.
  • Intel are the original computer manufacturer, so I can't go to any other source for drivers.
  • I stated in my opening question that my copy of Windows is up-to-date. I always keep Windows update running for that purpose.
  • I don't see how MS Stream would help with this issue.

Anyway, I'll try the steps you suggest and report back with what I find.

0 Kudos
AOgle
Novice

Actually, I think I may pass on this advice.

The suggestion contradicts available information.

• While the latest DCH drivers' release notes claim explicit support for 6th generation processors with Iris Pro Graphics 580, this claim dates back to when I tried them previously and they didn't install.
  • This article hints that DCH drivers are incompatible with the NUC6i7KYK: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032950/intel-nuc.html (see 'Related Products' at the bottom)
  • The fact that 4k YouTube playback is fine with Firefox and original Edge hints that it is something else going on.
  • There are no other issues with 4k graphics on my computer, so re-installing the existing drivers would not seem to be worthwhile.

I'll need to be much more confident in what is being suggested before uninstalling drivers. The contradictory information around the graphics drivers from Intel does not fill me with confidence.

0 Kudos
mkhan74
Beginner

hi ...thanks for the detailed reply to the question asked iam facing similar problem while streaming vedeo from website that embedd youtube vedoes ...will try to apply what your mentioned i hope it will solve my problem

cheers

0 Kudos
AOgle
Novice

Edited reply as my last one was incorrect...

OK, after having a couple of minutes' thought, a couple of slices of humble pie, and casting around a bit more I came across this guide: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004Fm2ngSAB/how-to-install-the-dch-driver

Plainly Intel do have DCH drivers for the NUC6i7KYK despite the Driver & Support Assistant not highlighting them and them being an utter pain in the rear to install.

I followed the instructions, which were largely correct, and installed the DCH pack.

When restarting, the adapter was not seen automatically and I had to go into Device Manager to select the Unknown Device and update the drivers. At that point the new DCH drivers were installed completely.

One last reset and the new Graphics Control Panel was showing me all the settings and things were running smoothly.

...right up until I played Biffa's 4k video again, the GPU usage shot up to 96% and the Edge Browser stuttered.

I have now truly got the latest drivers but am no further forward for performance.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Just a few comments...

• If you have one of the non-DCH driver packages installed, IDSA will offer you upgrades up to but not including the first DCH driver package (which was build 6444). Only after installing a DCH driver package will IDSA offer you the available upgrades to that package. Think of this as being two separate streams (though one stream terminates); IDSA will only work with the stream installed.

• I believe that you could have avoided most the issues with the DCH driver package installation by sticking with install and uninstall via the Apps and Features applet. I tell people this all the time and I cannot emphasize it enough. There is a very good reason why Device Manager is (unlovingly) referred to as Device Mangler. Especially when dealing with Intel driver packages, unless the drivers are provided in raw form (which obviously force you to use Device Manager), stick with package level install and uninstall via Apps and Features.

• I agree with your final assessment. Until it is understood exactly why it is occurring with the Chromium-based browsers, we aren't done with this issue. I would, however, characterize this stuttering issue as being a stability issue, not a performance issue.

...S

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello AOgle, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to check if the issue persists and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AOgle
Novice

Hello, yes, it was still a problem this weekend. I shall try again this evening just to confirm.

0 Kudos
AOgle
Novice

Confirmed. Using the YouTube site to change from 1080p60 to 1440p60 seems fine, but changing to 2160p60 causes stutter and slowdown with the Edge browser Window. This is the Edge on Chrome Browser. The longer I allow it to play, the worse the situation becomes.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello AOgle, Thank you very much for sharing those results.

Please make sure that the BIOS is up to date, the latest version is 0066:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29281/BIOS-Update-KYSKLi70-86A-?product=89187

What is the version of the web browsers that you are using?

We are going to try to replicate this scenario in our Intel® lab, by any chance do you have a link that you can provide for the 4K videos that you are reproducing?

Please provide the SSU report for us to be able to verify further details about the Intel® NUC configuration:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

To attach the report, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower-left corner.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AOgle
Novice

Hello Albert,

That was interesting. The Driver & Support Assistant was telling me I was up-to-date with version 63 of the BIOS. I have addressed that now through the link you provided.

(Is there something wrong with the DSA as it didn't tell me I could upgrade to DCH graphics drivers? Now it is trying to tell me there is a Realtek Audio Driver update but it fails to install each time.)

Anyway, with the BIOS updated, the YouTube video still stutters in the Edge based on Chrome browser. It is Version 80.0.361.56 (Official build) (64-bit).

I have the stuttering issues with any 4k video, but these from Biffa are the ones I watch and had alerted me to the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHFC89eVu6A

I run a YouTube "optimiser" that skips initial videos, but even with that removed, it makes no difference.

Equally, I mostly listen to audio through my Bluetooth headphones but the stuttering is no better with any other audio output.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello AOgle, Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

We will try to replicate the issue in our Intel® lab to confirm if the behavior with the Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK is the same, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AOgle
Novice

This evening Microsoft have updated Edge to Version 80.0.361.57 (Official build) (64-bit).

The stuttering is still present at 4k.

The difference seems to be in Task Manager. Previously there was activity in the Video Decode graph for the GPU whereas now it is in the Video Processing graph.

Regardless, at 1440p the activity for Video Processing is low (~15% but the 3D rises to 50%. Upgrading to 2160p shoots 3D up to 98% and the browser window slows.

When not viewing the YouTube tab (with a video playing), GPU use drops to nothing (because it is not rendering video), but selecting the YouTube tab causes the browser to stutter and GPU 3D to shoot up to 100% before sinking back to 50% for a 1440p stream.

Resolution Steady Play average percentage Switching 'back to tab' peak

3D Video Processing 3D Video Processing

1080p ~4% ~25% ~7% ~25%

1440p ~60% ~15% ~90% Stays at 1% until blockage with 3D is cleared

2160p ~98% ~1% ~98% As for 1440p above

0 Kudos