Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

Support HDR with UHD 630

Lucaa
Beginner

Hi, I wanted to know if it was possible to understand if my laptop could play hdr video streaming. I noticed that on the settings it makes me activate the hdr but as available ports I have an hdmi 1.4 and a usb type-c 3.1 gen1 input with displayport support. The site does not say which version of the displayport it has. I inquired about how intel can play hdr video streaming and I would need an hdmi 2.0a port or a displayport 1.3. Another question would be if I could figure out what version of the displayport it has. I have an intel uhd 630 i7-8750h with a gtx 1050. I state that the type-c port is connected directly to the uhd 630 graphics and not to the nvidia video card.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It has DisplayPort 1.2. While this is sufficient for 4K@60Hz, I too have been told that it can't support HDR.

I bought a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter that claimed to support HDR. Unfortunately, the fine print (which I didn't see until I got it home, couldn't make it work and then decided to actually read the documentation) indicated that it needed a USB-C port that exposed DisplayPort 1.4 in order to support HDR.

Oddly enough, in some platforms (many of Intel's NUCs, for example), a LSPcon chip, which converts from DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0a and thus can overcome the processor's HDMI 1.4 limitation, *is* able to support HDR. I don't have a good explanation for this inconsistency...

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It has DisplayPort 1.2. While this is sufficient for 4K@60Hz, I too have been told that it can't support HDR.

I bought a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter that claimed to support HDR. Unfortunately, the fine print (which I didn't see until I got it home, couldn't make it work and then decided to actually read the documentation) indicated that it needed a USB-C port that exposed DisplayPort 1.4 in order to support HDR.

Oddly enough, in some platforms (many of Intel's NUCs, for example), a LSPcon chip, which converts from DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0a and thus can overcome the processor's HDMI 1.4 limitation, *is* able to support HDR. I don't have a good explanation for this inconsistency...

Hope this helps,

...S