Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance and optimization
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
16845 Discussions

Support HDR with UHD 630

Lucaa
Beginner

Hi, I wanted to know if it was possible to understand if my laptop could play hdr video streaming. I noticed that on the settings it makes me activate the hdr but as available ports I have an hdmi 1.4 and a usb type-c 3.1 gen1 input with displayport support. The site does not say which version of the displayport it has. I inquired about how intel can play hdr video streaming and I would need an hdmi 2.0a port or a displayport 1.3. Another question would be if I could figure out what version of the displayport it has. I have an intel uhd 630 i7-8750h with a gtx 1050. I state that the type-c port is connected directly to the uhd 630 graphics and not to the nvidia video card.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

It has DisplayPort 1.2. While this is sufficient for 4K@60Hz, I too have been told that it can't support HDR.

I bought a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter that claimed to support HDR. Unfortunately, the fine print (which I didn't see until I got it home, couldn't make it work and then decided to actually read the documentation) indicated that it needed a USB-C port that exposed DisplayPort 1.4 in order to support HDR.

Oddly enough, in some platforms (many of Intel's NUCs, for example), a LSPcon chip, which converts from DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0a and thus can overcome the processor's HDMI 1.4 limitation, *is* able to support HDR. I don't have a good explanation for this inconsistency...

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

It has DisplayPort 1.2. While this is sufficient for 4K@60Hz, I too have been told that it can't support HDR.

I bought a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter that claimed to support HDR. Unfortunately, the fine print (which I didn't see until I got it home, couldn't make it work and then decided to actually read the documentation) indicated that it needed a USB-C port that exposed DisplayPort 1.4 in order to support HDR.

Oddly enough, in some platforms (many of Intel's NUCs, for example), a LSPcon chip, which converts from DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0a and thus can overcome the processor's HDMI 1.4 limitation, *is* able to support HDR. I don't have a good explanation for this inconsistency...

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post