Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Surface Laptop 3 - Iris Graphics Screen Flicker

IrisGraphicsBroken
Like the rest of the Internet that uses a Surface Laptop 3, my screen flickers when using Intel's Iris drivers. When I uninstall and use the Windows driver, the screen stops flickering immediately; however, I lose all smooth scrolling functions (like the FPS drops).

This isn't new. It's not a hardware or Microsoft software problem. It's an Intel graphics driver issue, definitively.

Please Intel, test on your own machine and then fix the issue. Do not ask every individual user for logs and versions, as that won't fix anything.

If there's a known fix, PLMK. Thank you.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
IrisGraphicsBroken
For those scouring the Internet for a solution, please know there IS NO actual fix for your screen flickering UNLESS you uninstall the Intel graphics driver and use the Windows version. Again, Intel failed to fix their own Iris graphics drivers, and have once again reminded all users to use the Windows (non-Intel) drivers for an Intel graphics card. I expected Intel to fix a years-long issue, but they don't care about their customers. Good luck with the 10nm chipset and looming bankruptcy.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello IrisGraphicsBroken,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing flickering immediately.

Sometimes corrupted files from previous installations of drivers can linger on a system which can cause driver updates to not work as expected. I would recommend you perform a Clean Installation of the Graphics driver:

• It is important to mention there are two different types of drivers, generics provided by Intel and Equipment Manufacturer drivers, that are customized to work with each specific system. The best thing to do is to use the drivers provided by the system manufacturer (OEM).

• Installing this Intel generic graphics driver will overwrite any customized driver from your Computer Manufacturer (OEM). Intel’s generic graphics drivers are intended for testing, if you want, you can try installing our latest driver 31.0.101.3790.

Also, you should make sure that the operating system is up to date:

• Click the Start button.
  • Search for Windows Update.
  • Click Check for Updates and run all pertinent updates.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
IrisGraphicsBroken
For those scouring the Internet for a solution, please know there IS NO actual fix for your screen flickering UNLESS you uninstall the Intel graphics driver and use the Windows version. Again, Intel failed to fix their own Iris graphics drivers, and have once again reminded all users to use the Windows (non-Intel) drivers for an Intel graphics card. I expected Intel to fix a years-long issue, but they don't care about their customers. Good luck with the 10nm chipset and looming bankruptcy.
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello IrisGraphicsBroken,

We appreciate your response.

We noticed that you have marked this thread as solved; however, we would like to know if you need anything else from us, we are here to assist you with Technical Support and possible Troubleshooting anytime you need it. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would add that you were NOT asked to uninstall the driver; you were asked to install the original driver provided by MS - you know, the one that they (supposedly) tested with their hardware? If that works, but subsequent drivers do not, it is typically an indication of a problem in the system's BIOS (i.e., out of date Video BIOS).

...S

0 Kudos