Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20953 Discussions

Suspected black screen bug report

PiERoL1
Beginner

I occasionally run into black screen on my monitor for about 2 seconds, which happens several times at a time. I think it might be a bug of intel graphics driver.

I have a monitor with 2560×1440p of resolution and 165Hz of flash rate, in order to save power consumption, i connect my monitor to the DP port on my motherboard, with a GTX1060  graphics card installed.

Then I encountered the above situation, the timing of this situation is uncertain, no specific software or scenarios. However, when connect my monitor to the DP port on my GTX graphics card, I have not encountered the black screen situation. So I don't think my monitor or GTX graphics card caused the problem.

I'm not sure if this is caused by the intel driver bug, so I test on my other motherboard and CPU, and observe this black screen situation both(monitor connected to the DP port on motherboard). My all two devices areas follows:

1. intel i3 12100 + B760 motherboard with DP port

2. intel i5 12400 + B660 motherboard with DP port

The version of intel graphics driver is 31.0.101.4669, and tested on same monitor and same GTX1060  graphics card installed on motherboard. 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello PiERoL1,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. I understand how frustrating is to have flickering issues with your Intel® Graphics, I will be happy to help you.  

To clarify the issue please answer the questions below:

• I see you mentioned two processor models Intel® Core™ i3-12100 Processor and Intel® Core™ i5-12400 Processor, which processor do you have the issue with? Or was the issue presented in both processors?
  • When did the issue start?
  • Have you done hardware and software changes? If so, which ones?
  • What is the monitor make and model?
  • To make a comparison between the two systems, and check if there are pending updates. Download, run, save and attach the report for the following tool Intel® System Support Utility for Windows (SSU) from both systems, you can find the steps on the link How to get the Intel® System Support Utility Logs on Windows.  

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
PiERoL1
Beginner

Hello Andres,

Thank you for your attention to this report.

• The issue presented in both processors.
  • The first time I observed this issue was about 2 month ago, in i3-12100 processor(with B760 motherboard and DDR5 memory).
  • I observed the issue in both i5-12400 processor(with B660 motherboard and DDR4 memory). It's another platfrom with different hardware, but the GTX graphics card was same one.
  • The brand of my monitor is not famous, but i don't think the monitor caused the issue because I have not encountered the issue after I connect my monitor to the DP port on my GTX graphics card.
  • I'm sorry that my i3-12100 and B760 motherboard system was sold last week. So I could only upload the SSU report of my i5-12400 system.
0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello PiERoL1,

Thank you for your response, all the information provided has been really helpful.

I have checked the Intel® SSU you attached, and I noticed that there are some pending updates, please follow the steps below to update them since we recommend to have the system up to date, and let me know the results:

• Clean graphics driver to version 31.0.101.4146 with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). For guidance, How to Use the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to Uninstall an Intel® Graphics Driver.
  • If the issue persists, repeat the previous step, but this time downloading the driver 31.0.101.4672.
  • Update BIOS to version 2611. For installation steps, contact ASUS Support.
  • I understand that you tested the monitor with the NVIDIA graphics card and it worked properly, but just to check if the behavior changes, test the Intel® UHD Graphics 730 with another monitor, with another port and another cable.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
PiERoL1
Beginner

Hello Andres,

Thank you for your suggestions. I followed your instructions, upgraded the graphics driver and BIOS to the latest version few days ago. Unfortunately, I still observed the issue. But I don't have another monitor for further test.

It's hard to explain why my monitor work well only while connect to GTX graphics card. Maybe my monitor just not compatible well with iGPU.

Therefore, I decide to give up connecting my monitor to motherboard. Or wait for an similar issue reported.

Finally, thank you for your support!

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello PiERoL1,

Thank you for your response, and for the information provided.

I see that you want to wait for a similar issue report, just for you to know there more steps that we can follow, let me know if you want to continue, and I can provide you with those recommendations

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello PiERoL1,

Remember there are more steps we can follow.

Let us know if you still need assistance.    

Best regards,   

Andres P.   

0 Kudos
PiERoL1
Beginner

Hello Andres,

Thank you for your assistance.

I still observed the issue when I just upgraded the graphics driver and BIOS, and I didn't have another monitor for further test.

But somehow I haven't observed that issue in the about last 3 days.That I would consider the issue have gone.

I would reply to you once I observed the issue again.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello PiERoL1,

Thank you for your reply, and thank you for keeping me informed.

I will wait for you to let me know if the issue comes back in the next days

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello PiERoL1,

I am following up to find out if the issue came back.   

Let us know if you still need assistance.    

Best regards,   

Andres P.   

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello PiERoL1,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards, 

Andres P.   

0 Kudos
Saurabh2
Beginner
I purchased 12400 put it in gigabyte h610. While doing non graphic intensive work it's working fine. As soon as I open game similar behaviour happened with me. After swaping it with my other rig msi b660 better psu. No luck there.
Finally I attached a GPU connect it with my monitor, same issue.
Finally I disable igpu from gigabyte bios. Now it's working seamless.
That means issue is with Intel igpu in 12400. I paid 2.5k extra for igpu and those went in sink. And I had to spend more on GPU. Intel please compensate for my loss. I can share with you my processor serial number.
0 Kudos