Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

T430s random blackouts of external monitor

SYage
Beginner

I have 2 monitors connected to my T430s laptop - one via the mini DP and one via VGA (the laptop's lid is closed and the LCD monitor is not in use - disabled via the windows display settings dialog). The monitor connected to the mini DP goes black for about 2 seconds once every 10-15 minutes with no particular reason.

I've found similar posts but none provided me with a solution...

I am using a 90W power supply.

I'm not using any docking device.

I've got the latest Intel HD Graphics 4000 drivers.

Windows 7 SP 1.

Monitor works perfectly when connected to other devices.

Working with one external monitor and the laptop's LCD screen works fine.

I've experimented with different monitors and the symptom is consistent.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello syagev,

Could you please let us know the driver version you're using?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
SYage
Beginner

Hi Amy, thanks for following up on this!

After trying just about anything short of pulling all my hair out, it turned out to be a faulty mini dp to hdmi cable. Replacing the cable resolved all the issues. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

I am glad to hear that you were able to resolve your issue. Your feedback is important to us and I thank you for taking the time to communicate your solution. If you need further assistance let me know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
SYage
Beginner

Hi again Amy,

I'm afraid I got some bad news - the behaviour has now returned..

The full story is as follows: I had a miniDP to HDMI cable connecting between the laptop and the monitor when I experienced the blackouts. I then replaced it with a miniDP to RGB (VGA) cable and the problem went away - that's when I replied and mentioned that I concluded the problem was with the cable. However, I do need an HDMI output for my use case so I once again replaced the RGB cable with a brand-new miniDP to HDMI cable - and then the problem returned.

I have two monitors connected to the laptop, and only the one connected through the miniDP is giving me the blackouts.

Per your question - I'm using the Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver version 9.18.10.3359

Any help is appreciated..

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I noticed that the version you mentioned it's a driver version from your computer manufacturer, you can try updating it to the latest version, if the issue persists you could try with our latest graphics versionhttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25313/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-3rd-Gen-BYT- but I would recommend to install the one from Lenovo since it's might be possible that your system requires a customized driver from your computer manufacturer.

Lenovo latest driver;

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds034834 Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 7 (64-bit) - ThinkPad - Lenovo Support (US).

Intel latest driver;

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25313/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-3rd-Gen-BYT- Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® 7*, 8.1*, 10 (3rd Gen & BYT).

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
SYage
Beginner

Hi again,

Thanks again for your quick reply.

I've updated to the latest drivers by Lenovo as recommended. Unfortunately the problem still persists.

Do you think there is something else I can try?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Since you already tried with our drivers and the driver from your manufacturer, I strongly believe that the issue is related to the cable/connection that you're using, the fact that there are not straight connections can affect directly the performance of the signal displayed and Intel always recommend to use straights connections.

Have you tried with the straights connections(HDMI to HDMI)?

Are they high quality cables?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos