Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

The cphs service terminated with the following error: Unspecified error

carloca
Beginner

Hi there, sorry for my poor english

Since several days my PC started to crash suddenly, it does it mainly at startup, but also after some time of normal use, I don't recall if it started to crash after some update..

looking into System log, the errors that are cyclical are mainly two:
- The cphs service terminated with the following error: Unspecified error
- The Intel (R) Content Protection HECI Service service terminated with the following error: Unspecified error

Then I also get:
- The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
- The previous system shutdown at 11:42:44 AM on 10/24/2020 was unexpected.
- Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.

I don't think theese latter three are significant,

Can you help me solve CPHS and HECI?

thanks a lot
carlo

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello carloca,   

Thanks for the update.  

Please let us know if reinstalling the OS helps. If not, then you may want to consider replacing the unit with the original reseller as you mentioned it is still under warranty.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

Intel Customer Support Technician 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello carloca, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Did you try using the graphics drivers provided by your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)? 

2. Did your system work before? If yes, do you rememberd making any changes before the issue started? 

3. Please provide the full Operating System (OS) version that you are using: To find out which version of Windows your device is running, press the Windows logo  key + R, type winver in the Open box, and then select OK

4. Provide your system brand and model number. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
carloca
Beginner

Hi Sebastian,

thank you so much for assisting me,

I updated graphics driver some days ago to the latest release but this doesn't solved the problem, driver now is Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 ver. 27.20.100.8853, I don't know the OEM version number,

system was working before, and I didn't make changes, but as I said can't exclude my problem started after a Windows updgrade, after my problem started I upgraded Windows, and now is Win 10 pro 20H2 19042.572

my pc is brandless, it's a fanless minipc and peripherals are all embedded, I'm posting a pic, hope this will help, by the way, it's still under warranty, but I suspect it's not an hardware problem..
thanks anyway

carlo

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello carloca,  

Thank you for your reply. 

Based on what you are reporting, this does not seem to be a graphics driver problem, chances are that your problem is at OS level. However, just for testing purposes; you can try doing a clean install of the latest graphics drivers (BETA and stable versions): 

1. Download the latest DCH drivers and save them on the computer: 
  1. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 
  2. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center from Control Panel Programs and Features
  3. Restart the computer. 
  4. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 
  5. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager
    1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 
    2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 
    3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 
    4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 
  6. Install the DCH drivers downloaded on step 1, try first the stable and then the BETA version. 
  7. Restart the computer. 
  8. Reconnect to the Internet. 

In case the issue persists, you may want to rollback your OS version, or even reset/reinstall Windows, check Microsoft's guidance:  

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/recovery-options-in-windows-10-31ce2444-7de3-818c-d626-e3b5a3024da5#:~:text=For%20a%20limited%20time%20after,previous%20version%20of%20Windows%2010

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reinstall-windows-10-d8369486-3e33-7d9c-dccc-859e2b022fc7    

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.  

0 Kudos
carloca
Beginner

Hello Sebastian, and thanks again,

unfortunately both drivers are raising the same error, 

I also left the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and waited for it to load the default drivers,

it uploaded ver. 27.20.100.8681, but after that in the same way the error returns,

will try a fresh windows installation in the week end

Thank you so much anyway
carlo
0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello carloca,   

Thanks for the update.  

Please let us know if reinstalling the OS helps. If not, then you may want to consider replacing the unit with the original reseller as you mentioned it is still under warranty.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello carloca,  

By any chance, do you have an update on this? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
carloca
Beginner

Hallo Sebastian,

no way, I have tried everything,

I tried a fresh Windows install, then I also swapped either ram and HDD with anoter pc, it crashes,

you were right, it's an hardware problem.

thank you so much for your appreciated help, awesome.

carlo

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello carloca,    

Thank you for your reply. 

In that case, we will close this inquiry from our side. If you have any additional questions, please submit a new thread and we will gladly assist you.

Regards,    

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos