Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

The latest Radeon RX Vega M driver from Intel can't be installed on my device (Intel Core i7-8705G)

firdaus
Beginner

Cuplikan layar 2022-01-01 131147.pngCuplikan layar 2022-01-01 131212.png

I'm using Acer Aspire 7 with Intel Core i7-8705G and Radeon RX Vega M GL, the latest driver that can be installed is 27.20.21003.11000 from Intel. The two newer driver since 30.0.13025.1000 won't install on my device. When I checked the INF file from the driver files, it's missing line [AMD694E.2 = "Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics"], I thought it was the problem. Any solution about this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
28 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

firdaus, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

Are you using the Intel® Driver Support Assistant application?

Were you able to properly install the Radeon RX Vega M GL graphics drivers before on this same machine?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
firdaus
Beginner

1. This is an old laptop.

2. I bought it in 2020.

3. Yes, I am using Intel® Driver Support Assistant application.

4. Yes, I was able to install it before, but only the previous version (version 27.20.21003.11000 or older than this).

5. The issue started from the 11/23/2021 driver (version 30.0.13025.1000) to the latest driver right now (version 30.0.13037.4001). The older ones had no issue.

6. I didn't make any hardware/software changes.

7. Windows 11 21H2 (OS Build 22000.376).

8. At home environment.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

firdaus, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

Based on the information shown in the SSU document, we can confirm, as you mentioned, that the graphics driver version for the Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics controller currently installed on your computer is 27.20.21003.11000. 

Normally it is suggested to install the Intel® graphics drivers first and then the Radeon RX Vega M GL drivers after that.

We always recommend to install the graphics drivers provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since those drivers were customized by them to work with your specific platform. The Intel® graphics drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your specific device.

I looked in Acer's website and the first thing I noticed is that Windows* 11 is not listed a fully compatible with your machine, the drivers tested and validated that they have on their website are for Windows* 10.

The drivers they have available are, for the Intel® graphics controller version 25.20.100.6374 and for the Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics version 25.20.15006.9. 

So, even though you are working with Windows* 11, for testing purposes,  please try a clean installation of those drivers following the instructions in the links below and once you get the chance, please let us know the results:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7958?b=1

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics.html

We also advise to get in contact directly with Acer support to make sure the latest BIOS version is currently installed in your computer or, if necessary, to gather the instruction so how to do that:
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
firdaus
Beginner

I want to explain something that it might be the reason why the driver can't be installed on my device in my opinion.

First, I mentioned that the INF file from the driver files is missing line AMD694E.2 = "Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics"

Here the screenshot from the 27.20.21003.11000 (the worked one) driver INF file,

27.jpg

And here the screenshot from the 30.0.13037.4001 (the driver update from Intel® Driver Support Assistant application that can't be installed on my device) driver INF file,

30.jpg

I assume that my GPU is identified as AMD694E.2 instead of AMD694E.1, that's why the driver software detected my system is not compatible with that version of the driver software.

I thought it was a mistake from the driver team. If it's true a mistake, I want to report it as a software BUG so, the team can repair it in the upcoming update.

Or I assume that Intel or Acer maybe has dropped the driver support for my device, then I can't do anything about this. But, since I got that driver update from Intel® Driver Support Assistant application, maybe it's just a mistake from the driver team.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

firdaus, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

"I thought it was a mistake from the driver team. If it's true a mistake, I want to report it as a software BUG so, the team can repair it in the upcoming update.", Sure, thank you very much for your feedback on this matter. For Intel® it is very important all the feedback and comments provided by all of our clients so, I will send your statements to the proper department for them to be aware of your remarks in order to keep improving the customer's experience while using Intel® products.

"I assume that my GPU is identified as AMD694E.2 instead of AMD694E.1, that's why the driver software detected my system is not compatible with that version of the driver software.". We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello firdaus, I just received an update on this matter.

While we are still working on this matter, we just wanted to confirm: 

Were you able to manually install driver version 30.0.13037.4001 without using the Intel® DSA?

If you did so, is Intel® DSA still prompting you to install that same driver version even though it is already manually installed?

Is the computer working properly with driver version 30.0.13037.4001?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
firdaus
Beginner

No, I couldn't install it

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you tried doing a clean install? If not, follow this general process:

1. Download to the system - but do not install just yet - the newest driver package from the Intel site (you may have this already).
  2. Disconnect system from Internet. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable Wireless. Note: if using Wireless, it should be disabled in such a way that reboots can occur without it automatically re-enabling.
  3. Uninstall the existing Intel Display driver. From Device Manager, click on the Display Adapters section and then right-click on the entry for the Intel Graphics adapter and select Uninstall Device. Checkmark Delete the driver software for this device and then click on the Uninstall button.
  4. Reboot the system, keeping Internet access disconnected.
  5. Check in Device Manager and, if you can (still) see an Intel Graphics adapter entry, go back to Step 3. If you see only the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, continue below.
  6. Install the new driver package downloaded in Step 1.
  7. Reboot the system.
  8. Reconnect Internet access.
  9. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Oops, cut and paste error. That should read Radeon RX Vega M adapter, not Intel Graphics adapter.

...S

0 Kudos
CaK_Tono
Beginner

Hello Intel,

I also encountered the same problem with Firdaus. I'm using Acer ConceptD 5 CN515-51, and it's also equipped with i7 8705g + RX Vega M GL. I have tried all the suggested solutions above, but none are working. I'm hoping for further investigation and possibly other workarounds or solutions regarding this inconvenience.

CaK_Tono_1-1641734959821.png

CaK_Tono_0-1641734888620.png

0 Kudos
exspell
Beginner

+1 to same exact issue as above. Workarounds listed above are not working for me either.   Using HP Spectre x360 - 15t-ch000 CTOwith i7 8705g + RX Vega M GL running Windows 11. 

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

I've successfully installed the latest Radeon Driver Microsoft Version: 30.0.13037.4001 on NUC Hades Canyon. However, since some information is missing in the .inf file that prevents this installation on your computer, I suggest that you may use the Manual Procedure, that worked in the near past on Hades Canyon. 

The only change that should be implemented to the above procedure is the location of the driver after extraction from the .zip file. In the past ( para. 6 in the above procedure) the .inf file was found in directory "%SystemDrive%\AMD\Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-X.X.X-XXX\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF".  The new driver is extracted to:  gfx_radeon_21.30.37.04\21.30.37.04 WHQL_211203a-374970C_IntelP22\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF

Leon

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello firdaus, I just wanted to check if, after following the instructions provided by N. Scott Pearson and LEON WAKSMAN about how to install the driver manually, you were able to install it?

CaK_Tono, exspell, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
firdaus
Beginner

The instruction from N. Scott Pearson is about installing Intel Graphics not Radeon RX Vega M,

and the instruction from LEON WAKSMAN isn't the official ways to install the driver, it's using some tricks to get the driver installed (the unsupported driver can be installed using this way too, but in my case, I'm using the supported driver not the unsupported one. So, I thought this isn't the solution of this problem).

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

firdaus, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

We will continue with our research on this matter, as soon as I get more details I will post all of them on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
exspell
Beginner

@Alberto_R_Intel : Any update?

0 Kudos
exspell
Beginner

Anyone find a solution to this yet?

0 Kudos
firdaus
Beginner

Not yet, maybe just stick with the previous version until they released a new version that probably fix this issue

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Sorry for late reply, i overlooked this topic.

The actual culprit is following section:

[ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.10.0...16299]
"%AMD694C.1%" = ati2mtag_VegaM, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_694C&SUBSYS_0CF98086&REV_C0
"%AMD694C.2%" = ati2mtag_VegaM, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_694C&SUBSYS_20738086&REV_C0
"%AMD694E.1%" = ati2mtag_VegaM, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_694E&SUBSYS_20738086&REV_C0

The SUBSYS ID ($8086 = Intel) blocks installation on HP ($103c) and Acer ($1025)

0 Kudos
exspell
Beginner

@Stefan3D  -  thanks for the information. Have you tried to remove the line to install? Any issues encountered?

0 Kudos