Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Third monitor not detected - Lenovo ideapad 5 14ITL05

Somoza
Beginner

System information: 

Chip Type: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics Family

DAC Type: Internal

Adapter String: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics

Bios Information: Intel Video BIOS

Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @2.80GHz

Monitors:  2 x Dell 27 monitors (S2721HN)

HDMI Splitter: 4Kx2K - HDMI SPLITTER 1X4 3D

Windows Specification

Edition: Windows 10 Home Single Language
Version: 20H2

Problem:

I would like to use 2 Dell monitors connected to my laptop using an HDMI splitter. However, my 2 monitors are detected as one monitor, not 2 separate monitors. I would like to have 3 independent monitors including my laptop monitor.

I have tried to update the graphics adaptor several times, but nothing changed. Please assist. I am a novice on this tech stuff. Please forgiving if I missed the obvious things to test.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Note the following:

1. The HDMI protocol does not support dual independent monitor configurations.
  2. An HDMI Splitter simply allows two monitors to display the same signal. It cannot do anything more than that.

Bottom line, you can use the HDMI connector for a single 1080p monitor. That's it.

What you need to do is take advantage of the DisplayPort signal that is available via your USB-C connector (the same one that supports power delivery). You can use a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter to support your third monitor. There are adapters that will also allow you to continue to use the power delivery feature of this USB-C connector.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Note the following:

1. The HDMI protocol does not support dual independent monitor configurations.
  2. An HDMI Splitter simply allows two monitors to display the same signal. It cannot do anything more than that.

Bottom line, you can use the HDMI connector for a single 1080p monitor. That's it.

What you need to do is take advantage of the DisplayPort signal that is available via your USB-C connector (the same one that supports power delivery). You can use a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter to support your third monitor. There are adapters that will also allow you to continue to use the power delivery feature of this USB-C connector.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Here's an example of a USB-C device that supports HDMI monitor, power delivery and an additional USB port: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GR16GC8. This is only an example and may not meet your needs; there are lots of others that offer varied capabilities - like support for a 4K@60Hz  monitor. Here is one that delivers this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FXGM2TC.

...S

0 Kudos