Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Trouble with FFMPEG and AV1

ConteZero
Beginner

Hi all, I'm using FFMPEG under windows to transcode to AV1.

I've noticed a strange behavior (something that keeps happening even changing FFMPEG builds).

Sometimes the AV1 encoder just refuse to work saying that there's something wrong (it hints me something about wrong width, depth etc) but the problem often disappear if I wait (like, running THE SAME command one or two minutes later) or reboot the system.

Right now I'm using "ffmpeg version N-109716-g757218564d-20230129 Copyright (c) 2000-2023 the FFmpeg developers".

Driver version is: 31.0.101.4032

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello ConteZero

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities. Please let us know the following information to assist you with this issue:

1. What software do you use to transcode from FFMPEG to AV1?
  2. What steps do you follow to replicate the issue?
  3. Please share a short video showing this issue.
  4. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the log file to get more information about your system.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello ConteZero

I hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best regards,  

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos
ConteZero
Beginner

I'm still trying to figure out what's happening.

I've found that the issue (that keeps happening even updating drivers) is system wide (i.e. I'm unable to RECORD the issue with Intel Control Center, it gives out a -17 error or something like that) and affect AV-1 and H.265 recording or transcoding.

The system can be reset to a working habit with a reboot or updating the driver but keeps happening.

It's somewhat erratic at first (an error, you relaunch the encoder process one minute later with the same command line and it works) for a while, then the underlying encoder engine stop working for good and you lose the ability to encode (the card keeps working fine but you cannot encode anything and even Intel Control Center throw out an error).

FFMPEG just say something like "the encoder refuses to process the stream" (I'll post an example in the future) wrongly hinting at something bad in resolution, bit depth, etc.

The interesting thing is that once a transcoding / recording / encoding work starts it works fine, no error; the problem arises when you try to start an encoding task. The issue manifest iself at the launch, if the transcoding / recording / encoding task starts it goes on until the end without issues.

I'm having this problem with an Arc A750 and the software I use is various versions of FFMPEG.

The system is a home machine I use to test stuff.

(sorry for the multiple edit, english isn't my main language and I'm a bit rusty using it here and there)

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello ConteZero

Thank you for sharing this information with us. Based on the log file, please make sure to update the following:

Once the components are updated, let's try these steps:

• Make sure that Resizable BAR is enabled on your system.
  • Try disabling the integrated graphics through your Bios or device manager and check if the issue persists only using the ARC Graphics.

If the issue persists, please let us know this information:

• Since you mention that you cannot share a video of the issue, please share some screenshots of all the error messages that you are receiving from the program so we can have a better understanding of the issue.
  • We will also need specific instructions and steps of configurations that you follow in case we need to replicate this issue.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello ConteZero

Were you able to check our previous post?

Please share with us the results of the troubleshooting and provide the requested information.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
ConteZero
Beginner

I was able to mitigate the problem disabling windows preview (show as : details) and avoiding "eccessive" (or even moderate) directory browsing.

Driver was updated to latest, but I tried to avoid the issue since then and I haven't had problem for now (it's been a couple of days anyway, I'll try to force the problem)

REBAR is active.

I'll try updating and disabling the iGPU ASAP.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello ConteZero

Thank you for letting us know. It is good to know that the issue is not happening for now. In case the issue happens again let us know the information requested in my previous post.

Also, please note that there is even a newer version of the graphics driver from the one a shared in my last post, version 30.0.101.4123 you can try installing that one.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello ConteZero

Please let us know if this issue is now resolved for you. If it happened again, please share with us the information requested in our previous posts.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello ConteZero

I hope you are doing fine. 

I have not heard back from you. So I will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards, 

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos