Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

UHD 530, video hardware decoding in chromium browsers causes saturation change after hovering on videos.

BKunc1
Novice

Hello,

I have the EXACT SAME issue as in this post: forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490V7bSAE

Youtube video color saturation changes after i hover on the video in chromium based browsers. The only difference is that I have Intel HD 530 + GeForce 940MX. I'm using the newest driver DCH 25.20.100.6577. The issue was fixed in some old driver release (check out the old thread) but it either wasn't fixed for my configuration or it reappeared.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
BKunc1, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. In order to confirm if the problem is related to the Intel® graphics drivers, please disconnect the GeForce 940MX card and use just the Intel® graphics controller and test the video to verfy if the problem persists. Please provide the SSU report: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility To attach the report, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower left corner. Do you have the option to test different web browsers to check if the problem also happens when doing that? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
BKunc1
Novice

Hi,

the problem persists after disconnecting the Nvidia card. It happens in chromium-based browsers - Chrome and Opera. No problem in Edge.

Also, I've recently reinstalled Windows (not related to Intel) and the problem persists. I had the problem on the old system with outdated 15.x drivers and some newer DCH drivers. Now with the new install the problem is also present with the default drivers Windows 10 installs and also with the fresh DCH I have right now. So I think that any solutions involing driver/browser update are ruled out.

SSU report attached.

Edit: Oh, and if that interests you - my laptop is an MSI GL72 6QC.

Edit 2: I forgot to mention what does fix the problem (but doesn't satisfy me):

a) turning hardware acceleration off in the browser

b) making the browser run with Nvidia GPU.

And another thing - the color saturation I get when "fixing" the problem with mentioned solutions is the one that I see after hovering over the video with Intel GPU. So the non-hover saturation on Intel seems to be wrong.

Plus, there are options in the Intel GPU panel to change color settings of videos. I can use those settings but they only apply when my mouse doesn't hover over the videos. When I hover (or stop the video so that the Youtube overlay is present all the time), the Intel video settings don't apply at all. So I think that's actually where the problem lies. Of course, the default settings or any other configuration I can apply never makes the videos look the same with/without hover.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
BKunc1, Thank you very much for providing those details and for the report. Just to confirm, do you have the option to use the laptop with an external monitor/TV? This is just to verify if the problem persists with a different monitor. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
BKunc1
Novice

I'll try to connect to a TV tomorrow.

0 Kudos
BKunc1
Novice

I tried with a TV via HDMI and the problem persists.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
BKunc1, Thank you very much for letting us know those results. Based on the fact that you connected a different monitor/TV to the Nvidia card and the issue persists, it indicates first, the problem is not related to the Intel® graphics controller, and also that the problem is actually related to the application/ browser that you are using, it seems to be a compatibility problem with chromium-based browsers. So, in this case what we recommend is to get in contact with the browser developer to verify if there is a patch that can be installed or if they have any other technical suggestion to try to fix this problem. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos