Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

UHD 630: 10-bit color and HDR are not supported for external monitor

Viacheslav
Beginner

Hello,

I have Lenovo laptop with Intel UHD 630 integrated graphics (driver ver. 27.20.100.8587) running Windows 10 Home Edition (ver.2004 build 19041.508). In the display settings i can enable HDR, so it is generally supported. However when I connect an external monitor with 10-bit color and HDR support (Eizo CS2731) I can't enable HDR and Windows reports that the monitor works in 8-bit color mode. The monitor is connected via USB-C. 

Why is 10-bit color mode not available and how can I enable HDR? Please help.

Best regards, Viacheslav

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Viacheslav

Thank you for your response and detailed information.

In this case, considering that the display does not actually support HDR, but you are able to view 10-bit content when playing one of the video test files, this seems to be the expected behavior. For now the driver will switch to 10-bit only when displaying content that is 10-bit based off DirectX*. Windows desktop will remain 8-bit. Intel is working on an update to Intel® Graphics Command Center to allow users to manually set desired color depth but this is a work in progress and no ETA can be provided. Thank you for your understanding.

We hope this clarify your concerns.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Viacheslav

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would ilke to recommend checking the High Dynamic Range (HDR) on Intel Graphics Technical White Paper for all the details and requirements to enable HDR:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/graphics/HDR_Intel_Graphics_TechWhitePaper.pdf

Please also check the following links:

Also, we would like to inform you that the Intel graphics driver doesn't enable 10/12-bit color depth by default, and there is no option in our user interface (Intel Graphics Command Center or Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel) to manually change this parameter.

With current driver implementation, the color depth will be set automatically as per the Operating System (OS) configuration. The driver and the OS will automatically enable 10-bit when running full-screen DirectX* applications which content is 10-bit and when using on a 10-bit capable Display and a software capable to output 10-bit content.

Currently, if a 10-bit display is used, the driver will default to 8-bit with Dithering or 12-bit if supported. However, some of these features are only available when using 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors or newer platforms.

We are currently working on an update to our Intel Graphics Command Center application to allow manual control for color depth; however, this is a work in progress and we do not have an ETA for this to be implemented. Until said update is available the only way to enable 10/12-bit is through the OS own settings (Windows -> Display Settings -> Windows HD Color Settings) and as of today Windows 10 only allows said shift if it detects the monitor also supports HDR.

Having said that, could you please provide the following information to check this further?

1- Are you using straight-through connection USB-C to USB-C with a single cable or are you using any type of adapter or converter?

2- Have you tested the display with different video ports or on another computer? Please provide details

3- Have you checked if your display has an HDR setting or mode that needs to be enabled?

4- If you tried different/lower resolution or refresh rate, is there any change?

5- Could you please test one of the 10-bit files available in this link*? http://jell.yfish.us/

6- Screenshot from Windows > Display > Windows® HD Color Settings and from Display properties, both regarding the external display.

7- Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the below link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

8- Please provide DxDiag* report following these steps:

• In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.
  • In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
  • Click on Save All Information.
  • Open the report.
  • Use the option "save all information" to save the .TXT file.
  • Attach the report .TXT file to this thread. 

Note: To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" dialog below the edit box.

Best regards

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
Viacheslav
Beginner

Hello Andrew,

Thank you very much for the detailed information.

Regarding the HDR, everything is clear - the monitor does NOT actually support it. That was my misunderstanding. However, it does support 10-bit color and this I'm particularly interested in since i do photo editing.

Please find my answers below:

1/ single cable; USB-C to USB-C;

2/ unfortunately I don't have another PC to test with, however i tried connecting my laptop to another monitors (also Eizo) via USB-C/USB-C and USB-C/HDMI. Same issue, i.e. 8-bits only.

3/ as i mentioned above, it is not supported

4/ i did, but without success

5/ if the file is uploaded to the computer first then i can watch 4K and HD in 10-bit without any issues; if streaming then only few HDs because of not so fast internet.

6/ i'm running a non-English version of Win10 (Home edition), hence screenshots won't give any valuable information. Windows HD Color Settings: all three options listed under display capabilities are with "NO". Display parameters: both resolutions are 2560x1440; refresh rate is 60.011 Hz; bit depth is 8-bit; color format is RGB; color space is SDR.

7/ attached

Best regards, Viacheslav

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Viacheslav

Thank you for your response and detailed information.

In this case, considering that the display does not actually support HDR, but you are able to view 10-bit content when playing one of the video test files, this seems to be the expected behavior. For now the driver will switch to 10-bit only when displaying content that is 10-bit based off DirectX*. Windows desktop will remain 8-bit. Intel is working on an update to Intel® Graphics Command Center to allow users to manually set desired color depth but this is a work in progress and no ETA can be provided. Thank you for your understanding.

We hope this clarify your concerns.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Viacheslav
Beginner

Thanks Andrew, understood. It's rather disappointing, to be honest, as it means there is no 10-bit support considering the applications which I use. I hope it will be implemented sooner rather than later.

Best regards, Viacheslav

0 Kudos
stna1981
Novice

Hello @AndrewG_Intel,

can you pls give an update on the option to manually set color depth?

Best regards

Stefan 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Viacheslav

We do understand your point and the importance of this feature. Rest assured that this is at the top in our list of issues to address.

Having said that, since the thread has been marked as Solved and there are no more inquiries in the thread, we will proceed to close it now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
WReib
Novice

Regarding Intel is working on an update to Intel® Graphics Command Center to allow users to manually set desired color depth but this is a work in progress and no ETA can be provided, I was told the same thing 2/2020 on this forum.  Is there a thread I can subscribe to so I can be notified when this change is actually available?