Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

UHD620 video hardware decoding cause inaccurate color

mchan471
New Contributor I

When I watch youtube with chrome, I found that the the color of video was inaccurate, i.e. green being too green, orange being too yellowish etc.. And if I pause the video or move my mouse to make the video control to show up, the color returns to normal. If I disable the hardware acceleration for video in chrome://flags, the color is always normal. So I'm pretty sure that it's the Intel UHD620 videl hardware decoding that causes the inaccurate color. Is there any way to fix this issue? The problem only occurs when video is played in full screen.

1 Solution
SPire
Novice

Just installed the latest driver version (24.20.100.6286) and for me, the colors no longer change when the youtube overlay is present. I still have that weird one that only appears on low resolution videos

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
82 Replies
mchan471
New Contributor I

It's not an issue of chrome, it's an issue on the entire system with intel graphics.

mchan471
New Contributor I

OK I'm going to clarify this issue once more.

The major issue is that Intel's UHD 620 produce inaccurate color, the color switching in chrome is just a byproduct, and is not relevant. The reason for the inaccurate color may go to the intergrated video renderer of Intel graphics. Here I use the Potplayer, which can manually select video renderer, to demonstrate this issue.

When I select the Potplayer's "Enhanced video renderer", it bypasses the system default (UHD 620's intergrated video renderer), and I get the correct color, shown in the left photo. You can clearly see the gridline under the green region. When I select the UHD 620's intergrated video renderer, I get the inaccurate color, shown in the right photo. The inaccurate one is also what we get in the Windows 10 default video player, Edge, and Chrome, because they all use the UHD 620's intergrated video renderer. There color switching in Chome, is just that Chrome will switch to the correct color when video is pause, or there is an overlay on the video.

These two photos were taken with exact same ISO, shutter speed, focus, etc.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello mteechan and all,

I would like to thank you for taking your time for reporting this situation and all the additional information.

We have been trying to reproduce this issue with different laptops, but so far we haven't been able to reproduce it. See below for details:

Hybrid Gfx Test: https://youtu.be/XIt6ca23Uac

Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 - Chrome color test: https://youtu.be/g8ixNW8q0Ik

We'll focus on the information you recently provided (i.e. Potplayer to manually select the video renderer) in order to attempt reproducing the issue, and I'll update this thread as soon as I have further results. As you might know, it is extremely important to have a reproducible case so our devs can work with, so that's where our efforts have been so far. In the meantime, we have https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650 new driver 15.65.5.4982 that I would recommend giving it a try.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
mchan471
New Contributor I

I know why you can't reproduce this issue now. You have to turn off the annotation. That channel icon overlay at the bottom right is the cause.

0 Kudos
BM2
Novice

Yeah as already said, there is an overlay in this video so you can't reproduce it.

I would recommend to use the built in Chrome HTML5 video player - by opening the MP4 video file directly.

I've uploaded the video file to my GDrive here, so please download it and then open the video in a new tab in Chrome. https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1DHFi-CeDCIuGF_iDPs72SfyOKiGepDAd&export=download https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1DHFi-CeDCIuGF_iDPs72SfyOKiGepDAd&export=download

So in the URL there is the path to the MP4 file on your hard drive then (e.g. file:///C:/Users/username/Downloads/colorGamutVideo.mp4)

I hope you can reproduce it like that.

PS: Otherwise, Twitch streams also suffer from this issue. Also please double-check you are using a laptop with Nvidia optimus technology (e.g. the GTX 10x0 Series, GTX 1060 Max-Q for example).

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello mteechan and lolametro,

I was able to replicate the issue now! Thank you for you help... I can't believe I missed the step of disabling annotations, great catch on your part.

Since I have a reproducible case now, I have filed an internal bug (ID# 1406959505). Our debug team will work on this and as soon as I have an update I'll post it here.

Once again, thank you for you help.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
M_
Beginner

Hi,

Only an additional information, but I think this could be useful to see the problem even more clearly: go to a low resolution video on YouTube (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1-51OZSZuA this one, 20x16px) and test with the same steps (hide and show the overlay/controls). It seems that the filters/enhancements are applied only when there's an overlay.

Here's the difference, with:

And without:

Tested on the latest driver (24.20.100.6025) available on April 26.

0 Kudos
CInte1
Beginner

I'm assuming this has been completely forgotten? Maybe a few updates? It's been almost a month since your last post. I'm on the latest Intel driver (24.20.1006094) and can confirm that the issue is as present as ever in Chrome (also latest version, if that matters).

0 Kudos
BErge
Beginner

Hi,

Was the problem solved? I just bought a laptop with the same pair of GPUs as OP. (intel UHD 620 and Nvidia MX 150) and I have exactley the same problem.

Video playback in all of the browsers show inacurate colors, I updated all the drivers but no luck.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

I would like to confirm that this is an issue that we are still working on [Bug ID 1406959505].

Our work on this one has been slow yet consistent.

Thank you so much for your patience.

As soon as I have updates or news I'll post them here.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
CInte1
Beginner

Thanks for the update! In the meantime I seem to have found a workaround. Set chrome://flags/# force-color-profile to "scRGB linear (HDR where available)." This gets rid of color shifting when moving the mouse cursor. Unfortunately, as far as I understand, it does it by completely switching to the wrong color. I have not found a solution for programs and browsers other than Chrome. Maybe this could point Intel devs in the right direction.

0 Kudos
BErge
Beginner

Thanks very much for the quick response.

Meanwhile, switching chrome to the second Graphics card eliminated the issue but at a cost of making browser much slower.

Just for the curiosity, can you please tell me what hardware combo has this issue? I mean, is it because of Intel UHD 620 alone? or UHD 620 with the I7-8550 processor? It seems like very few people have this problem.

0 Kudos
mchan471
New Contributor I

According to my test, I believe it's something to do with the video rendering algorithm inside the UHD620. And this issue is very widespread. It's just that most people are not aware of it or care about it.

0 Kudos
SPire
Novice

I also have this issue on my Asus UX330UAK laptop. It has an i5-7200U with a 620 IGP. It doesn't have hybrid graphics, only Intel's integrated gpu.

This has been driving me nuts for a couple of months. I believe it started happening after Windows 10 upgraded to build 1703 or 1803. Just found this thread and hope i can contribute anyway i can.
0 Kudos
SPire
Novice

I've just recorded a video of this issue to confirm i'm talking about the same issue: https://youtu.be/7Sm-S9sJV8A

UHD 620 color problem when overlay is present - YouTube
0 Kudos
SPivo
Beginner

The same problem on my desktop PC with latest Intel UHD 630 driver.

0 Kudos
CPatr
Beginner

I'm currently using a HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl1XX with an Intel UHD 620 (switchable between it and GeForce MX150) and an Intel i7-8550u, and I've been suffering from this issue as well.

0 Kudos
SSeal1
Beginner

Can confirm that I have the same issue as well with video hardware decoding on Chrome and other apps such as Pot Player.

For now, I have turned off Hardware Acceleration on Chrome as a workaround but I'd really would like to see it fixed.

I am on Intel HD 630 with switchable graphics to Nvidia 1050 TI.

0 Kudos
AKome
Beginner

I have the same issue as well (Intel® HD Graphics 630 with the latest update: 24.20.100.6229), but only in Chrome. I really hope that the upcoming updates will fix it.

Edit: It seems like the colors are inaccurate by default in Edge (or in apps like the Movies & TV app), so I didn't notice the change because it was bad from the start.

0 Kudos
HMood
Beginner

I've just installed the latest driver version, 24.20.100.6286, that supposedly fixes this problem on my Lenovo ThinkCentre M710q Tiny (no switchable graphics, just the iGPU Intel HD Graphics 630), two UHD monitors connected via DisplayPort: Unfortunately, the issue is still present. Color shifting as well as integer scaling in all Chromium based browsers.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi egarak,

Thank you for your feedback. Could you please confirm which steps you are following to reproduce the issue with driver 24.20.100.6286? I'll use that information to validate and re-open the bug.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos