Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

UHD620 video hardware decoding cause inaccurate color

mchan471
New Contributor I

When I watch youtube with chrome, I found that the the color of video was inaccurate, i.e. green being too green, orange being too yellowish etc.. And if I pause the video or move my mouse to make the video control to show up, the color returns to normal. If I disable the hardware acceleration for video in chrome://flags, the color is always normal. So I'm pretty sure that it's the Intel UHD620 videl hardware decoding that causes the inaccurate color. Is there any way to fix this issue? The problem only occurs when video is played in full screen.

1 Solution
SPire
Novice

Just installed the latest driver version (24.20.100.6286) and for me, the colors no longer change when the youtube overlay is present. I still have that weird one that only appears on low resolution videos

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
82 Replies
mchan471
New Contributor I

But what about UHD 620? And laptop?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mteechan,

I will check if I can get a laptop with Intel UHD Graphics 620 for this test. In the meantime I would like to get more information about the issue you are reporting, would you please fill out the form that is in the following link and post it on this forum thread? /thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

If possible attach the DxDiag and DispDiag reports too.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mteechan,

Since we have been unable to replicate this issue with the same drivers on different hardware then this could very well be a problem with the laptop itself. We recommend reporting this directly to the laptop manufacturer and let them know that Intel already ruled out a driver problem by testing on different hardware. The laptop manufacturer should be able to setup a lab with the exact same laptop model you have. If they can reproduce the issue in their lab then they should be able to find root cause of the problem.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
mchan471
New Contributor I

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Video color is not correct

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

I don't understand, but it has Nvidia MX150

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

<strong style="font-style: inherit; font-size: 13.3333px;...
0 Kudos
mchan471
New Contributor I

I don't think that it is supposed to be my laptop's problem when my friends' laptops and another user's in this thread have this problem as well. There are two main reasons that may account for not replicating this issue. One is that you are not testing a laptop with UHD 620, the other is that you are not testing with the internal display.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mteechan,

I am contacting you in behalf of my colleague Fred. Thank you for the information. We will be replicating the issue in our labs to look for a solution for you.

Please have in mind that it may take around a week to get a result, but we will contact you to keep you updated.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mteechan,

I appreciate your patience. I am very sorry, but we have not been able to reproduce the issue. Since it is occurring only on the built-in display our recommendation is reporting it directly to the computer manufacturer.

The manufacturer can further validate it since they have the same hardware, and they will report it to Intel directly if their debugging shows a driver problem.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
mchan471
New Contributor I

So what about UHD 620? Have your team tested a laptop with UHD 620 in the lab? It can't be a coincidence that three individual brands with UHD 620 all have the same issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mteechan,

I have not been able to test this issue on a laptop yet. I will post information on this thread as soon as I have it.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
CInte1
Beginner

Fred, you're not able to reproduce it because you're trying on a desktop PC. Try it on an Optimus laptop, preferably with a Pascal GPU. I can almost guarantee you'll get it, because the whole problem (as well as Micro stutters from the other thread) are due to poor Optimus implementation.

Also, Opera behaves identically up Chrome.

0 Kudos
CInte1
Beginner

mteechan, are you sure the colors are off in Edge? I actually think they're correct, because when I compare them to Chrome (by going full screen and tabbing), they're the same as when the media controls are on in Chrome.

0 Kudos
BM2
Novice

Hello,

I have the same issue, too and want to post my bugreport here, too.

In the meantime, I also updated the Intel & Nvidia driver to the newest versions. I believe the issue is caused by Optimus switchable graphics, and only when the video is displayed without any top layer content (e.g. scroll bars, pause buttons etc.). /message/532243 Old post from here:

I have noticed that when you hover above a HTML5 video (so e.g. video controls are overlayed), the colors of the video change significantly.

The contrast increases by a huge margin.

User parradox has made a video of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-iHe16gEN4 videos changing colors - YouTube He has helped us to tell about it here:

Please take a look at it as the color accuracy is not given like this.

Thanks!

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

see above

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Dell Inspiron 7577

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Switchable, with NV GTX1060 Max-Q

<tr style="border: 0px; font-weight: inher...
0 Kudos
BM2
Novice

I can't exactly say whether the issue is seen in Edge, but at least the color doesn't switch like in Chrome.

0 Kudos
mchan471
New Contributor I

Because in Edge, the color doesn't switch to normal when video is paused, so you can't observe such switch as in Chrome.

0 Kudos
mchan471
New Contributor I

Go watch this video in Edge. https://youtu.be/Z1TR4WbHN5o?t=177

You will notice that the grid line behind the green region is hard to see. That indicates the color is not normal either.

0 Kudos
mchan471
New Contributor I

No, the color is off in Edge too. Check out my post # 37.

0 Kudos
aasda3
Beginner

have you tried turning off all the color correction options in the intel graphics settings (right click desktop) under video?

0 Kudos
mchan471
New Contributor I

Turning off those useless settings is the first thing to do for me after buying a new computer. And those settings are irrelevant to this issue.

0 Kudos
BAksu
Beginner

I made account to help you because I got my new laptop this week and got this problem in chrome

I tried EDGE and no problem was have.

In chrome Go Setting->Scroll down and click Advanced->System->Disable "Use hardware acceleration when available" restart chrome and your problem gonna solve.

0 Kudos
mchan471
New Contributor I

Edge is also subject to this problem. It's just that Edge's video color doesn't return normal when video is paused, so no visible change in color is observed, unlike chrome, which shows the correct color when video is paused, resulting in color change.

I don't want to disable hardware acceleration, because it is much more power efficient.

RRaab
Novice

I believe it's this issue

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=811118 811118 - Video brightness changes when overlay is displayed - chromium - Monorail

0 Kudos