Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

UHD620 video hardware decoding cause inaccurate color

mchan471
New Contributor I

When I watch youtube with chrome, I found that the the color of video was inaccurate, i.e. green being too green, orange being too yellowish etc.. And if I pause the video or move my mouse to make the video control to show up, the color returns to normal. If I disable the hardware acceleration for video in chrome://flags, the color is always normal. So I'm pretty sure that it's the Intel UHD620 videl hardware decoding that causes the inaccurate color. Is there any way to fix this issue? The problem only occurs when video is played in full screen.

1 Solution
SPire
Novice

Just installed the latest driver version (24.20.100.6286) and for me, the colors no longer change when the youtube overlay is present. I still have that weird one that only appears on low resolution videos

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
82 Replies
HMood
Beginner

It's most obvious with low-resolution video (using the latest stable release of Chrome): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooLO2xeyJZA 3dfx - Revolutionize Medicine - TV commercial - YouTube

As soon as the YouTube overlay/interface, ads etc. vanish, the video becomes very pixelated/switches to integer scaling. It's also obvious on Netflix, when playing back at a lower resolution and subtitles enabled. The video switches between pixelated/smooth depending on whether subtitles are displayed or not. I've verified that I'm running driver version 6286 using the Intel Graphics Control Panel.

0 Kudos
GOwcj
Beginner

Still happening to me on 6286 version. Symptoms and ways to replicate exactly like in two previous posts.

Windows 10 Pro 1803, 630 UHD i8750H.

Running latest chromium based opera. See attached images. Colour and scaling different on interface elements visible.

Opera running with 630 as main graphic device. If forced to run on GTX1070 the issue is not present.

0 Kudos
GOwcj
Beginner

It looks like the issue could be fixed in future chromium engine release.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=811118 811118 - Video brightness changes when overlay is displayed - chromium - Monorail

I have downloaded latest chromium nightly and the issue is no longer present while hardware acceleration is enabled and gpu is set to 630.

You can download chromium here and test: https://download-chromium.appspot.com/ Download Chromium

0 Kudos
GOwcj
Beginner

Sorry for spamming the thread. I was able to "fix" it in current opera by going to url chrome:flags and changing:

Force color profile

to

scRGB linear (HDR where available)

0 Kudos
HMood
Beginner

Unfortunately, setting "Force Color Profile" causes greatly increased CPU load, which makes 4k playback choppy on these CPUs. That's why it's not an acceptable solution.

0 Kudos
HMood
Beginner

Just tested both Chrome Canary as well as the linked Chromium build: The issue is still present for me, fullscreen playback & interface hidden = integer scaling.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

I would like to provide an update on this issue.

We have a fix already lined up for our next driver release. Please stay tuned and I'll provide with an actual driver build as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

SSeal1
Beginner

This is great news Ronald! Thanks for the update. Please do provide an build whenever it's possible, I believe this issue is widespread, but not enough people cared to notice it.

0 Kudos
EFeyn
Beginner

Hello Ronald,

I'd like to report that the very same issue is also present and reproducable on Intel HD Graphics 520, installed on my Asus X302UV laptop running Win 10 with the latest drivers.

Is there going to be an update to this graphic card's driver too?

0 Kudos
CCard7
Beginner

I just installed the graphics driver from 7/11, (24.20.100.6194) and the issue is persisting. Is that the one which is supposed to have the fix, or is that still in the works?

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

I can confirm that the fix for this issue is not included in our current driver 24.20.100.6194.

This fix should be included in our next driver release (build xx.xx.100.6247 or higher) and it is for 6th, 7th and 8th Generation Graphics on Windows 10 64-bit. For more information on driver numbering scheme please check this link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005654/graphics-drivers.html Understanding the Intel® Graphics Driver Version Number

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
EReal2
Beginner

Hello, I've just downloaded the latest driver release (24.20.100.6229) for my Intel HD Graphics 620, and the issue is still present when playing videos in Youtube, for example. I still notice it when hovering with the mouse cursor over a video, the most noticeable color change is green, and that's how I still notice the issue. My system is an Acer Aspire 5 with an Intel i5 7200U. The issue is not present when I use the dedicated Nvidia Graphics, but as someone already said, to do light things like web browsing or using Youtube, the integrated graphics are better battery-wise

0 Kudos
BM2
Novice

Artec619

He said it will be in the build xx.xx.100.6247. So it's not implemented yet in 24.20.100.6229.

0 Kudos
SPire
Novice

Just installed the latest driver version (24.20.100.6286) and for me, the colors no longer change when the youtube overlay is present. I still have that weird one that only appears on low resolution videos

0 Kudos
HMood
Beginner

Forgot to mention that in my previous post, but yes: The color shifting is gone, it's just the pixelation that's still present.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi egarak,

In that case I think it is - technically speaking - a different issue by now.

Can you let me know the make and model of the monitor that is displaying the pixelation?

Thanks for all your feedback.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
HMood
Beginner

I have two LG 27UD58P-B connected via DisplayPort running at 3840x2160 and 120% scaling.

Computer is a Lenovo Thinkcentre M710q with a Intel Core i7-7700T.

Installed driver version is 24.20.100.6286, but also happens with earlier versions.

0 Kudos
HMood
Beginner
0 Kudos
HMood
Beginner

To add a new wrinkle: While I'm no longer noticing color shifting on my desktop system, there's still color shifting (but no pixelation) on my laptop, an Asus Zenbook UX305U (Intel Core i7 6500U). Tested it out by pausing Netflix and waiting for the Netflix UI to vanish in full screen.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Thanks egarak,

We're investigating an issue in which some monitors switch from 8-bit to 6-bit color depth

Please take a look at that thread and let us know if it seems to be the same issue you see now. If not, please create a new thread following /thread/77761 this format.

Since the main symptom described originally on this thread is already fixed with build 100.6286 I'll proceed to lock this thread.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos